Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 5:51:22 AM EDT
Who else saw it as a modern day western?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I can see that interpretation.

I saw it more as a "down on their luck anti-heros try for one last big score" type of flick.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Who else saw it as a modern day western?

Interesting observation. Doesn't quite fit, but I understand why you think so.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't westerns usually have good guys sometimes do questionable things to achieve good goals?

Way of the Gun had all bad (very bad) people who occassionally did good things, mostly in furtherance of their bad motives.

It was an in-your-face crime drama that really sat heavy on showing the gruesome consequences of violence and evil.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Watched it on DVD just a few night ago.

One of the best shooting movies I have seen. Yes the guns were powerful but not obscene to the point of a .45 tossing anyone out a window.

And I liked how it left you hanging at the end with the do they die or don't they trail off...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#6]
You could read western in it with themes like hired guns & shootouts/standofffs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#7]
The second half had Oater written all over it to me. I kinda saw them like Butch and Sundance, not a direct comparison but in the same vein.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Own it Love it, agree with you. But let me say I also see it as a MOB flic.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No hero to root for, everyone gets shot,

so what's not to like
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:31:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The second half had Oater written all over it to me. I kinda saw them like Butch and Sundance, not a direct comparison but in the same vein.

Parker and Longbaugh (their psuedonyms) are the real names of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#12]
The story was empty, cliche', and characaturesque like Kill Bill, and I was disappointed with the execution (bitterly so after discovering it was from the guy who did the Usual Suspects)

That said, it was some of the best gunplay I have EVER seen in Hollywood and that is why it's in my collection.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I watched it again... fun movie. I still hate J. Lewis.

I like the car chase when they're getting out of the car and rolling it. That was too cool.

Not sure I think it's a modern day western... but it was good anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top