Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2010 5:12:37 AM EDT
I picked up a used water softener off craigslist... the guy claimed it was working when he removed it ("my friend upgraded").  $40, worth the risk.  Anyway, I know how to hook it up to the water lines, etc., I just don't know how to get it started.  

E.g., do I fill the brine tank with water?  Does the unit do that automatically?  It's a Culligan Mark 89, mechanical timer/etc.  It's set on recharge and I can't get the dial to go back to normal, so when I plug it in it's going to want to drain or pull from the empty brine tank.  I'm not sure what it will do.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:28:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I picked up a used water softener off craigslist... the guy claimed it was working when he removed it ("my friend upgraded").  $40, worth the risk.  Anyway, I know how to hook it up to the water lines, etc., I just don't know how to get it started.  

E.g., do I fill the brine tank with water?  Does the unit do that automatically?  It's a Culligan Mark 89, mechanical timer/etc.  It's set on recharge and I can't get the dial to go back to normal, so when I plug it in it's going to want to drain or pull from the empty brine tank.  I'm not sure what it will do.

Former Culligan Dealer Here.
First thing that is a piston driven power valve, if it sticks in a cycle unplugging it wont do a thing you need to put it on by-pass to shut it off. Start up procedure to follow.
Assuming the unit is installed, and the drain and brine line hooked up proceed as follows.

1) Add 5 gallons of warm water to the salt tank and then put water softener salt in Brine Tank.
2) Push the bypass valve into the service position, allow the softener to fill with water, when you do not here any more water coming into the unit push the bypass back to bypass.
3) Cycle the unit by turning the manual regn dial to backwash, you will get a rush of air to the drain, cycle the unit back to service and put the bypass back on service
4) allow the tank to fill with water again, once the water stops cycle the unit to backwash and leave it for 3-5 min
5I) Index the regen gear to the next cycle which is brine draw, with the brine line not hooked up you should have suction on the brine line, the suction should be strong.
6) next index the gear to fast rinse another rush of air and water will go to drain, leave it there
7) Let the timer drive the gear to the next cycle which is brine tank refill, make sure you have a full stream of water coming out the brine line and hook it up to the float
8) When the unit cycles back to service and nothing is running (water) wait 2hrs and index the extra recharge lever.

Set the time and enjoy your soft water.

any questions just ask

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

1) Add 5 gallons of warm water to the salt tank and then put water softener salt in Brine Tank.

2) Push the bypass valve into the service position, allow the softener to fill with water, when you do not here any more water coming into the unit push the bypass back to bypass.

3) Cycle the unit by turning the manual regn dial to backwash, you will get a rush of air to the drain, cycle the unit back to service and put the bypass back on service

How do you cycle the regen gear back to service?  Right now it's set to manual regen, and I can't get it to move to service.

4) allow the tank to fill with water again, once the water stops cycle the unit to backwash and leave it for 3-5 min

5I) Index the regen gear to the next cycle which is brine draw, with the brine line not hooked up you should have suction on the brine line, the suction should be strong.

OK, maybe I don't know the difference between backwash/brine draw/fast rinse/brine refill... the regen gear just goes full stop clockwise, there are no intermediate settings.

6) next index the gear to fast rinse another rush of air and water will go to drain, leave it there

7) Let the timer drive the gear to the next cycle which is brine tank refill, make sure you have a full stream of water coming out the brine line and hook it up to the float

8) When the unit cycles back to service and nothing is running (water) wait 2hrs and index the extra recharge lever.

By index you mean start a manual regen?

any questions just ask

Thanks for your response!

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Former Culligan Dealer Here.

First thing that is a piston driven power valve, if it sticks in a cycle unplugging it wont do a thing you need to put it on by-pass to shut it off. Start up procedure to follow.

Assuming the unit is installed, and the drain and brine line hooked up proceed as follows.

I got this far, it's backwashing but I cannot get any of the gears to move to move the regen dial (the one with the lbs of salt indicator, right?) to the service position.  I'm tempted to just let it keep running to see what happens.  I set it to bypass and pulled the plug.

any questions just ask

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Plug the softener in.

1) the gear with the salt setting, turn it clockwise (I think) a click at a time. You will hear or feel the click. Once the cam falls off the microswitch on the timer the drive motor will run. Assuming it is in Backwash the next time the motor runs the piston will move to Brine draw/Brine rinse.

3) after you check the draw, again turn the gear one click at a time until the drive motor starts the piston will move into the next cycle fast rinse.

4) Same thing again only be very careful because this cycle is short, it is the final cycle Brine tank refill, if you get water refilling the salt tank let the timer cycle the unit back to service.

After the timer homes it's self trip the extra recharge lever set the time of day and the regeneration day pins or meter (depending on the model and you are GTG
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the start of the cycle is with the dial fully clockwise, which is where it's stuck now.  Full counter-clockwise is the end of the cycle.  I can't get it to turn CCW at all without feeling like I'm going to force it to the point of breaking.

The reason that I think it's at the start of the cycle is if I push down on manual regen it pushes it clockwise.

Can I plug it in with water on bypass to get it to the service setting?

If you have a chance, please take a peek at the Mark 89 manual so you see what kind of dial I'm talking about.  Again, maybe I'm completely misunderstanding your advice.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#7]
It is the gear just below " G" on the page in the manual that shows the timer assembly. Yes turn it the same way as the recharge lever moves it. Again one click at a time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm stuck if I can't return it to its full CCW position.  At full CW it's sending water down the drain tube.

The one with the arrow pointed to it, "service (soft water) position," won't move either way I try to turn it.  Well, none of them will.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#9]
pm me
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Is it GTG
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

pm me

A big thanks to you!  Yeah, I was misunderstanding something very basic.  PM me when your membership expires.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Is it GTG

Not sure quite yet... it's not back to service but it hasn't filled the brine tank yet.

ETA: I just went through it again, I might have skipped brine fill by mistake.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the offer.

Not necessary, just trying to help a fellow forum brother.
Good luck and enjoy the benefits of softened water.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#14]
It wont fill it past the salt plate if you are just thinking the softener will put enough water in to get started. Add 5 gallons of water and let the softener cycle as normal. After the first time it will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It wont fill it past the salt plate if you are just thinking the softener will put enough water in to get started. Add 5 gallons of water and let the softener cycle as normal. After the first time it will be fine.

OK, makes sense.  I thought it was going to fill until it hit the float.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top