Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/15/2005 9:44:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2005 5:30:43 AM EDT by 1337DO]
I'm looking for a gore tex or other water resistant but breathable parka for this winter. I'm looking for something with the following features:

1. Zip out liner or unlined
2. Solid color
3. Parka length
4. USA made (most important)

It seems like almost everything is made in China, and is low quality as a result. I don't mind paying a higher price for a good product.

Thanks for any replies.

JOE

Edited to add: "water resistant but breathable."
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:51:00 PM EDT
L.L. Bean jackets are US made aren't they? All the L.L. Bean jackets I've had (a Goretex winter coat and a goretex rain jacket and pants) have all been high quality, and if they fall apart, L.L. Bean will replace it for free.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:59:27 PM EDT
Columbia Parkas are the best made, IMO.

I own two for waterfowl hunting and have never had a problem with them in over 10 years. A buddy of mine did and received a new one within a week of sending his in to be checked, that was 7 years ago and it is still in great shape.

btw, I may be from California, but I hunt some brutally wet/icy weather up north on the Nevada border.

The only issue may be the solid colour, but look into it.

Eric
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:07:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 10:09:39 PM EDT by Ustulina]
I am racking my brain trying to think of a bona-fide premium manufacturer that still consistently sews garments stateside.

Some of Patagonia's stuff is made in the US, but I don't like to support them because of their environmental hystericism.

FWIW, I work in a rain forest (SE AK) in places with up to 150" of precip a year (compared to, for example Ohio which gets maybe 40").

My belief is this: softshells, properly cared for are more reliable and bomber than goretex, and when you really need shelter from the rain, goretex eventually wicks through.

I would not touch goretex with a 10' pole because it does not provide performance compared to the alternatives.

80% of the time I wear a softshell jacket made out of Schoeller fabric. I have worn mine from Taiwan (warm tropical, to Alaska to Northern Finland, 28 deg below zero). It is functionally much better than gore-tex in the real world.

For the downpour 20% other, I use Rain-shed/StormcreekII coated nylon. This is lightweight, inexpensive, good quality and made in Oregon USA. It's a truly decent product.

Domestic QUALITY manufacturers of softshells:

www.Beyondfleece.com

I would go with Schoeller dynamic or Dryskin Extreme and order the jacket with

*with*
thumb loops
extra inside pockets

*without* pit zips

Should run you about $180-$200.

add layers underneath as necessary, preferably in the form of wool sweaters or down.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:14:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:22:02 PM EDT
I am a bit of an anti-goretex jihadist, but the review of the US CAV ECWS parka isn't positive:

"Review: Not worth the money! I'm a Chicago Police officer, and our weather in this city goes from bad to worse, wet to dry, dry to wet, snow to rain, rain to snow, etc., etc, with no warning. The jacket does a fine job of keeping you dry, and is wind proof if the wind is light. If its gonna be wet, windy, and cold you really have to layer, and layering sucks if you need freedom of movement in your outdoor clothing (especially if it limits your movement to your first line gear!). All in all not a bad coat, but if your looking for something that can beat the cold, wet, winter elements, look for a good hunting coat thats been provin' already!"
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:30:39 PM EDT
I don't think Gore ever wore a Parka in Texas.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:58:08 PM EDT
I wore one of these for years and the officer is definitely quite stupid. One of the first things one learns about cold weather survival is layering. This coat combined with the liner system (Complete set includes coat, trousers, Poly jacket, poly trousers and poly thermal underwear) is absolutely unbeatable. I would ride a motorcycle all winter long wearing this stuff and never got cold. Range of motion was excellent (I guess chasing drug dealers might be a little different) but I have been nothing but happy with it. I remember the winter of 86/87 when a blizzard hit the east coast and Ft Bragg was shut down for 3 days. I rode my motorcycle the 25 miles into post and remained quite comfortable the whole way. I would wear it in the field, hunting just about anything. Excellent rain protection, wind was no problem at all. The cop is just confused. If it can withstand 80 MPH riding in the rain and not leak at all, remain comfortable for a 660 mile ride, it can hold up to whatever you throw at it. I say the system is well worth the money.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:09:34 PM EDT
Fair enough! Your opinion is worth at least as much as mine and the above knothead from Chicago.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:06:43 AM EDT
Does it have to be gortex? Do you want water proof or water resistant? if water resistant will do try a PCU-5 soft shell from Orc industries.

herculeswear.com/products.asp

For a liner get the USMC version of the SPEAR jacket, made byPeckham.

Both are made in the USA.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:30:38 AM EDT
-Anything Patagonia "top notch stuff "

Top Top