Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2001 1:24:42 AM EDT
These sound like they would be useful in a survival situation.  Not necessarily an end-of-the-world one, but even a bad earthquake could disrupt water supplies for a while.

[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010517/sc/health_water_dc.html[/url]

Has anyone seen these in the U.S.?  Know where to get them and how much they cost?  They must be incredibly cheap to make, since they're for use in severely impoverished third-world countries.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:29:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Just buy a PUR Explore water filter from REI for $120 if you are worried about having clean water.  I did, it filters out all the nasties and has an iodine resine to kill viruses.  BTW, I also use it for backpacking.

http://www.purwater.com
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#2]
4 hours??????
Txaggieccl- They have REI in TX?
I asked about a daypack and asked if they carried the same pack in Camo cause I saw it in a catalogue. The salesbitch said "we dont believe in hunting or killing people" "No Camo".
Last time I ever set foot in the place.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 6:47:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Also check out [url]www.nikken.com[/url]
PiMag Ionic Filtration Water Bottle
Dirty in clean out, pretty cool.

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 7:11:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Bangladesh - nothing like a lot of E-Coli in your water.

REI outlet has the low end Katadyn pocket filter for $69.  Already have the POR, and Big-5 had the same model for $120.
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a Katadyn Combi filter to take with us when we go backpacking. Filters 13,000 gal. on one ceramic filter and it also filters 60 gal. thru a carbon filter which gets rid of pesticides, chlorine and iodine. It filters out all bacteria and protozoa such as giardia, cryptosporiidium, salmonella, e-coli and cholera
without using iodine. Got this stuff off the box. I can fill a usgi canteen in about a minute with the filter and the water taste better than what I get out of the faucet home. It cost about $180.00 but if I take care of the filter it should last me a life time. It's bigger than the smaller backpacking filters but not near like carrying youe water with you.
www.katadyn.ch  [sniper]

Link Posted: 5/18/2001 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought a Katadyn Combi filter to take with us when we go backpacking. Filters 13,000 gal. on one ceramic filter and it also filters 60 gal. thru a carbon filter which gets rid of pesticides, chlorine and iodine. www.katadyn.ch  [sniper]
View Quote

I read on Frugal's that instead of the $20 per charcoal refill packet from katadyn, that some guy was using fish aquarium activated charcoal which is MUCH cheaper. Anyone try this out?
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll have to check that out. Charcoal is charcoal (unless you're gonna grill with it. ummmm burgers are up).[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#8]
do your research. i know of many devices, but no companies. their are straws that filter river water. their are hand pumps that can make saltwater drinkable. their are many larger ones for all uses. i think the handheld pump style is best for most purpose. they are all available to civillians.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top