Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 10:52:43 AM EDT
Looks like a bunch of cars got drowned in the 'cane. Can they be salvaged or are they all history now?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#1]
history.     on occasion, some cars can be salvaged after only momentarily being immersed in water.  but not those that are sitting there underwater for days.   just my personal exp.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Looks like a bunch of cars got drowned in the 'cane. Can they be salvaged or are they all history now?

They usually total them when it's saltwater, I don't know about fresh water damage but I bet you can get some good deals if you can hook up with an insurance co.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Bet they're gonna smell real good after being in the sun a few days.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
history.     on occasion, some cars can be salvaged after only momentarily being immersed in water.  but not those that are sitting there underwater for days.   just my personal exp.

+1 that has been my experience. That can be salvaged for scrap and parts.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Can they be salvaged or are they all history now?

The newer ones that have computers are salvage-yard bait. They'll never be right again. The older
ones (pre-computer this & that) have a chance.

I picked up an older model Jeep that had been in the flood plain. It took some work, and cleaning,
but is good for a 'run through the brush & don't care if it gets scratched' vehicle.

ETA: Mine was freshwater flooded, not salt. Salt = TOAST, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#6]
The scam artists will be out in force trying to sell them to the truly stupid.  Watch out for any great deals on late model used cars.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Most Ins Co will total a car once the carpet is wet from flooding.  Maybe they could be bought back as salvage and fixed up.  If they are washed down good they'll run as long as the motor wasn't  flooded.  If water got down the carb, you could pull the valve covers off and flush the whole thing out with hot, fresh water.  The smell will never come out of the interior, so I doubt it's worth it unless you're talking about a classic.

Worked for my boat when it sank.  I have what amounts to a chevy truck engine in my boat and it was submerged for 8 hours.  Tore it down, flushed it, replaced some elec components, voila.  Boat still works
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#9]
That may be a good way to get a dual sport motorcycle...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top