Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 2:07:29 PM EDT
Looks like it will be pretty good visually.  The story is already cool, so if Snyder stays with it, it should be awesome.

Anybody else looking forward to seeing this?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Me! Saw the preview during Batman and I was like... "I want to see that!"

Details on the story, plz.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:15:09 PM EDT
[#2]
People knock on my door every Sunday morning and give me a copy.  Is Hollywood bringing it to the big screen?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Here

Thank you, sir!

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been looking forward to it for years now.

The current trailer gives me great confidence that it will be done right, too.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I read it I liked it, and I'll admit to having become a little cranky on this subject.

It's kind of a cynical retelling of the Justice League, "wonder woman" is raped etc. It kind of reminded me of when historians started "rewriting" the stories of all the founding fathers, grossly accentuating their flaws.

Maybe, but the characters are far more realistic, IMO.

They have flaws and some of them have BIG ones. The story was compelling and entertaining.

I'm of the opinion that it is one of the best things that ever came out of DC, but I was always more of a Marvel guy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I read it I liked it, and I'll admit to having become a little cranky on this subject.

It's kind of a cynical retelling of the Justice League, "wonder woman" is raped etc. It kind of reminded me of when historians started "rewriting" the stories of all the founding fathers, grossly accentuating their flaws.

I'm of a similar mind.  It looks like someone took Justice League and tried to make the characters as flawed as possible.  I'm also ticked at what the creator did with the most principled of the heros.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I still think it will be good.  Better than most of the stuff we have to choose from lately.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
People knock on my door every Sunday morning and give me a copy.  Is Hollywood bringing it to the big screen?

that's Watchtower, nice try

Awesome!

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm of a similar mind.  It looks like someone took Justice League and tried to make the characters as flawed as possible.  I'm also ticked at what the creator did with the most principled of the heros.

I too was pissed with the ending.  However, it was never meant to be Utopian.

But this is the film to see in 09.

I was amazed and moved by the trailer.   Yes I am a nerd.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I'm also ticked at what the creator did with the most principled of the heros.

I don't wanna know

Sad that despite the sometimes juvenile plots, Smallville got him so much "righter" than the crappy movie where he impregnates Lois Lane, abandons her and then can no longer be bothered to say "And the american way" I was furious

I agree.  Superman (the newest one) sucked.  Superman WAS American (although an illegal immigrant ).  Our superhero.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]
My reaction:

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#16]
pretty much sums it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#17]
It'll probably be decent. the director proved with '300' that he can (a) respect comic book story lines without taking stupid liberties and (b) that he can work with a budget without going hog-wild on stupid shit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#18]
The movie looks epic.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The movie looks epic.

the graphic novel already is epic!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#20]
watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/

That looks mighty cool
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WRONG!

The characters these are based on were eventually incorporated into the League however not at the time this was written.

In the Early 80's DC acquired the rights to Charlton Comics characters, and there was quite a debate in the company as to what to do with these, Alan Moore had been shopping an extremely serious comic for a while and he discussed the idea of making the Charlton Characters go out with a bang by having this new book that dealt with substantial elements, real deaths rape etc occur to characters that already had a following. DC initially was receptive to the idea and Alan went ahead with plotting out his characters, but before the project entered final production several of the Charlton Characters cameo'd in existing DC titles and did very well.

So DC pulled them out of the Watchmen and incorporated them into the DCU more directly, and Moore had to assemble a pastiche based on largely recognizable characters.

Rorshach is The Question,
Night Owl is the Blue Beetle (Not Batman)
Dr. Manhattan is Captain Atom
ETC for assorted other Charlton characters.

Although personally I would think that its for the best as DC Managed to fuck up most of those characters in due time anyway, Question died of Lung Cancer, Blue Beetle was shot in the head, etc.

(To be fair though they were actually treated very well in the DC animated Universe, and were quite popular)
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Looks like it will be pretty good visually.  The story is already cool, so if Snyder stays with it, it should be awesome.

Anybody else looking forward to seeing this?

Clicky here

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Sure.  Looks like it will be pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I dont...it reminds me of Sky Captain in that it looks like everything save the actors is CG...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top