Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 6:10:15 PM EDT
Sooooo depressing.......ugh.....
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I turned it off after about 15 minutes.

Couldn't get past that whole "I only have two bullets for my revolver" thing.

Not my kind of apocalypse movie.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Turn it off now, it only get worse
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I read the book, I have no need to watch the movie.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I read the book, I have no need to watch the movie.

Kharn

Me too, and me neither.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#5]
good movie. made me do a lot of thinking.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]
i woulda killed the whiny lil kid
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered 1k rounds of .223 the day after I watched it.  That movie freaked me the f out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If I only had 2 bullets left.........the pile of bodies would be vast.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sooooo depressing.......ugh.....

OP nails it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I find it hard to believe he couldn't come up with any better weapons than a single revolver and a few rounds of ammunition.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#11]
The book sucked big time.  I can't imagine how the movie would be worth watching.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#12]
by the end......you'll want to shoot yourself.....
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But by that time you have not cartridges left.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#15]
It really made me depressed after the ending especially. But it made me really think about and appreciate all my dad has done for me over the years, and the father-son stuff. I'm early 20s and don't have any kids but it's probably the closest I've felt to feeling "protective"...guess I related more to the father than to the kid who didn't understand anything that was going on.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#16]
The movie was bad, but I guess it does serve as a reminder of what people may resort to in times of desperation.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice!

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#18]
The producers rejected my Alternate ending:

• Father and boy meet up with other family, Mans wife has 2 sisters Molly Sims & Vanessa Marcil (Las Vegas).
• Guys Son Pimp Slaps Kid tells him to stop whining.
• Family has GSD
• Guy Pearce explains, radioactivity mutated human genes, now when you get hungry you eat your thumb and it grows back the next day.
• One of Duvalls lines is "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!"
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I read the book... and then I watched the entire movie...

Why?... I don't know, but I felt compelled to finish it.

I will never read or watch it again.  In fact I threw the book away (something I just don't do)

I was really bummed out by the story... My dad died when I was a kid and stories about fathers and sons always get me...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#20]
It really hit me as a father.  I've not read the book, but I rented the movie and watched it last month.  I felt hopeful in the end when the kid got to meet another family.  I think the other father really stepped out there to meet this kid knowing he was all scared and apparantly armed with a functioning revolver.  The best line of the movie is at the end when the other father tells the kid "I don't want your gun, I just don't want it pointed at me."
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I watched the movie with a friend and it was bad.  Don't waste your time like I did.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Something hit me about two weeks after watching it.

In the beginning when he shoots the cannibal in the head, he's not a trick shot, at that point he did care who he hit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Dark movie, ending was rushed  I thought.

Probably more truth to it than many think in case of a true, long term SHTF lasting dozens of years.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#24]
It took me several days to get through the movie.  I kept thinking it had to get better at some point.  I decided I was not going to let the movie beat me and I was going to finish it if it killed me.

On a positive note, it did make me realize how important binoculars are for a SHTF scenario.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It really made me depressed after the ending especially. But it made me really think about and appreciate all my dad has done for me over the years, and the father-son stuff. I'm early 20s and don't have any kids but it's probably the closest I've felt to feeling "protective"...guess I related more to the father than to the kid who didn't understand anything that was going on.

Dad in the movie was a paranoid schizo. The boy was saved by his dad's death. The man who found him was robert duval's son as evidenced by the genetic thumb thing...

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I reckon the whole point of the two bullet aspect of the story the same as there being ammo for different weapons in the bunker, but no weapons.

If the Father had plentiful ammunition, or any resources at all, really, the story would have indeed had a pile of bodies. It's good to have at least one post apocalyptic story that doesn't have unending shoot outs. Even The Road Warrior had Mel bluffing a good portion of the movie as to the rounds in his sawed off. It's a plot device to move the story in a different direction. I've read quite a few EXCELLENT views in the underused Movie and Home Theater Forum, as well as the Survival Forum. There are some smart fuckers on this site, and the logical arguments are compelling.

I believe the best reply written explained the likelihood that no matter how many weapons you have, some will be lost fleeing, some will not have available parts for repair,  some may even need to be sacrificed as barter for medical supplies or food.

What I believe may be a large part of the negativity felt towards this film and book stems from what it represents to the members of this board. The idea that regardless of prep, in a bad enough situation, far enough along, survival percentages drop to near zero.  It's heartening to me, though, the amount of people who don't like this film. It just means that there's a large of amount of folks here who can't stomach a situation that they can't grit their way through, that when observing a situation where it's that far gone, and suicide is a VERY real option, most of you say "Fuck this, NEVER!!" You guys have a good attitude.

I love the book, by the way. Sorry. How the hell do you have any hope when humanity is all but dead? How does a man go on, if not only for the sake of his child? Powerful stuff.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#27]
At was an excellent movie. It was well done in every aspect. That said, it was the most depressing movie ever. If you don't know what you are getting into, or you aren't in the mood for that type of movie, you will hate it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I watched this movie yesterday.

One thing I'm wondering and may have missed it...

What killed everything off?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Never says. Up to the reader to decide what happened, but I think most lean towards rogue meteor.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

this...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#31]
It's not intended to be man triumphs over adversity via killing lots of bad guys. It's more of a deconstruction of the post-apocalyptic genre.

Everybody who traipsed across the wastelands with a backpack full of MREs and twinkies and a full AK in their hands was shot by somebody hiding in the bushes with a deer rifle, their carefully prepared gear taken off their corpse, which was left to rot. Then said guy with deer rifle gets plugged a couple months later when the dead ecosystem means all the easy food is gone, and the cannibals eat his corpse. Then, five years later, the movie takes place.

Nothing will ever grow again on the ashy shell of the earth. All anybody can do is wander about miserable and starving, hoping to find a few scraps or somebody more defenseless than themselves to stave off hunger for a little while longer. Most ammunition was long since shot. Firefights have been over for years. A year's worth of food was finished four years before. There is no hope.

That's the point of the movie. That's what Cormac McCarthy is trying to say. And that's what you should expect going in. If that's not your thing, if you have to have action and adventure and romance and hope, don't watch the movie.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The book sucked big time.  I can't imagine how the movie would be worth watching.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Made me think seriously on how I would proceed or not in such a situation.  While I consider it necessary viewing it is also depressing as hell.

Bought more ammo the same night I watched it, no bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Cormac McCarthy is a fucktard author.  Never understood how that guy got a contract.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Good book, good movie.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#36]
2 bullets?

I've laid waste to entire civilizations and raped entire ecosystems with less.

Fail
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Saw it because of the original opinions here that it was a good movie to see. Well it was ok but not really my cup of tea. The movie was well made but kinda dragged on at certain points. Its a good movie to show someone that wonders why you need some ammo or even a gun let alone lots of both.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Awesome movie and very well done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top