Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2004 3:48:10 PM EDT
Sitting here watching "Signs" on TV and just wondering what ya'll would do if Aliens showed up all of a sudden. I"m not really sure how I'd take it, I'd probable pack up and go to the woods until we find out if they're friendly or not. I sure as heck wouldn't be the first one to try and make contact with em', seen too many people get killed in the movies by doing that.LOL.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Green slime on the wall...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Feed it hot 7.62 from my FAL.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Blast 'em, bag 'em and sell tickets for the freak show!

I'd be rich I tell ya!  Rich!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#5]
aliens have ray guns
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Stick it in it's pooper and post pics

Digital
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Give him my cell phone and hope he phones home.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Stick it in it's pooper and post pics

Digital

Ahh, but just how would you know WHERE it's pooper was?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Trade my "preban" AR15 worth countless Earth dollars for one, run of the mill, alien plasma rifle........no alien could pass up on that deal.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Wait a while and see what happens. If it's not good, break out the 82A1 and make hay while the sun shines. Plenty of AP and  API for every(whatever they are)body.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#11]
In reality.. we'd get whomped in a half second. Anyone that can travel across space is so far ahead of us that there'd be no competition. Probably at least 2-3k years ahead.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I for one would welcome our new Alien Overlords

-Kent Brockman (slight edit)
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I couldnt vote.
Shit my pants and hide under my bed wasnt an option....
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Jeez that movie gave me chills but I couldnt help think that them folks just need a few guns and it'd be all right.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#15]
We don't keep Reese's Pieces around here, so...........
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm really suspicious of extraterrestrial life, too many of these alien abduction stories involve homo acts, anal probings, ect.  I'm not going to trust any ET until I'm sure that they aren't planning on stuffing it into MY pooper...

AND POSTING PICS.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Depends on their color.................

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Send my wife out after them. Hell hath no fury like a redhead. A meaner, nastier more pissed off demoness you've never seen.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I saw that movie before I got hooked with firearms.... Even then i was like "WTF? You telling me the only thing they have to defend themselves is a Homemade Baseball bat???"

I got enough 5.56 to 'fend them off for a few days....

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
In reality.. we'd get whomped in a half second. Anyone that can travel across space is so far ahead of us that there'd be no competition. Probably at least 2-3k years ahead.

Really though, to such an advanced civillization our primitive weapons might be even more deadly. Look at us today with our kevlar, sure it stops bullets real well but a "primitive" bow and arrow will cut right through it. Plus, just like in "War of the Worlds", there may be micro-ogranisms that would attack their immune systems.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Or they could just nuke (v.3000)  the planet from orbit, as the only way to be sure.

Then harvest our planet for resources.

With their technology 2k years in the future, I doubt we'd be looking at dismounted infantry taking us over. We ourselves are currently developing robotic infantry substitutes. The more proper comparison would be bow & arrow vs. M1 Abrams.

WOTW was supposed to be literary irony.  In reality, they'd plan a lot better.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Semi serious answer. . . . .

IF  ET shows up then it follows that aliens DO exist and THEREFORE there must be some shred of truth to the abductions, cattle mutilations and anal probings. . . .

THEREFORE we have been visited before without the common f-cking courtesy of a diplomatic visit to any human goverment authority.

THEREFORE the aliens have proven their total disregard for basic benign non-intervention and violated the right of Earth's sentient species to live in accordance with its normal cultural evolution.

AND HENCEFORTH it shall be determined then that any alien visitation is up to no damn good, and every Earth person is directed to take whatever means whether individual or in concert to repel or destroy any alien persons and craft anywhere on the surface of the planet or in the skies above. Earth goverments are required to use whatever means as is available to sweep the near orbit clear of alien presence or nefarious alien devices.

AND FURTHERMORE mankind claims its major satellite, known as "The MOON" as the collective property of humankind, both the near and dark sides, together with it's entire obital area. And plans should be concieved to defend our satellite as vigorously as the planet from which we evolved.

Damn right, I'd shoot the little green ba$tards!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#23]
But who is to say what would be effective, just like in the movie, water was like acid to these ET's, maybe salt would melt em' like it melts a slug or a dozen other things that are common on this planet would be toxic to their systems. The bottom line is that we shouldn't just assume that they're superior just because they've travled so far.  
 Another question, what would happen to peoples long held religious believes if ET's showed up.  Some believe systems don't allow for life anywere else in the Universe other then here, how would their system of believes explain ET's?  

One last thing, how do we know that they're not already here and that they've not infiltrated our governments. Maybe that's one reason that gun control is being pushed so hard, disarm the populace so we'll be eaiser to take over when the "mother ship" shows up. I know, get my tin foil out, LOL.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#24]
DO....DEEE....DO.....DO......DO.....DEEEE.....DO.....DO......( you know the Twilight Zone theme)
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#25]
You have to assume they're sooo superior. No human has ever been significantly past the moon.  Travelling the STARS is something altogether different. Proxima Centauri, the closest star, is 4.2 ly away. That's 4 years at LIGHT SPEED.

A lot of people don't really realize just how fvcking huge space is. Helpful reading: http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q306.html
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Or they could just nuke (v.3000)  the planet from orbit, as the only way to be sure.

Then harvest our planet for resources.

With their technology 2k years in the future, I doubt we'd be looking at dismounted infantry taking us over. We ourselves are currently developing robotic infantry substitutes. The more proper comparison would be bow & arrow vs. M1 Abrams.

WOTW was supposed to be literary irony.  In reality, they'd plan a lot better.

Not necessarily so. . . . .
The aliens could have stumbled upon the secret of FTL travel without developing the societal maturity to use the invention wisely.
OR
The aliens might have risen to no more than a feudal culture when they were enslaved or exposed to an advanced species and threw off their oppressors/stolen the tech and started their own crusade of conquest.

Either way, they could show up here with a high/low mix of FTL ships and somewhat conventional weapons that while strange, would not be overwhelming in their firepower.

They would be quite surprised, I imagine, to feel first hand the wrath of a race that had perfected the Art of War in numerous inter-species battles for millennia.
Afghanistan, Russia, Vietnam, and the boys of the Southern United States would fight them down to the last man standing!

The Man-Kizin Wars I, II, III, IV, V . . . . .
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd make them watch Michael Moore movies.  Over and over and over and over.....

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Id wait to see thier intentions before going off the deep end, but i sure wouldent be unarmed.

That could be one hell of a SHTF situation.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#29]
If they appeared friendly, I'd ask to take their space ship for a spin.  I'd return in about, oh... say 2 years.  

If they appeared hostile, SS&S.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I can't believe that I actually paid money for that shit-for-brains movie...

In actuality, it would be about a 5 minute movie around here too.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I can't believe that I actually paid money for that shit-for-brains movie...

In actuality, it would be about a 5 minute movie around here too.

It would be more like 2.5 minutes  at my place.

What a bad movie
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd stick a probe up their asses and even the score.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Seriously the first thing i would do is record all the stuff on TV . Lock and Load..

then Stay in the back ground and wait and see what happens.

Would be a crazy ass thought..
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#35]
send in 2 guys(a black dude and jewish dude) in a old crashed area-51 ship and let the mothership download a computer virus
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#36]

I'd teach them to kill liberals and terrorists and lead them in my own private war
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#37]
The assumption that tech needs to be ULTRA high to make the trip is a little pre-conceiving. We could do it with our current tech if we had the political will-think project Orion. The developers of that tech calculated out that could loft 10,000 TONS into HEO with just a few nukes. Once you are up, a few more will get you moving at a pretty good clip. We as a society are just scared shitless by nukes.
Throw enough money at the problem and we would have a significant rather than an insignificant space presence.

Nick (kinda bummed out by how little we have done)
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#39]
If they can fly there assess all the way over here, all they have to do is nuke us from orbit, just to be sure. They wouldn't need to do anything "normal".
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#40]
If they posed a threat to life or property, or they attempted to overthrow the US Constitution, I suppose I would grab my rifle and go into intergalactic politics.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#41]
i would wait for the United Nations to tell me what to do
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I would recruit them to guard our southern border.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#43]
"to serve mankind"!!! it's a cookbook, it's a cookbook......................
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#44]
depends are they for Bush or kerry.

for Bush we'll sit back and maybe see what turns up.

For kerry DOAhug.gif
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
"to serve mankind"!!! it's a cookbook, it's a cookbook......................

LOL, I was just thinking about that and was going to post it, but you beat me to it.     Personally, with all of the evidence that's been collected over the years I tend to think that:
1) We've already been vistited and ,
2) Key members of governments around the world have been in league with the ET's and they're twisting the world's way of thinking around so that when the day does come we'll be helpless to do anything to stop the take over.  Heck, for all we know "Christianity" could be the big plan that'll  make us helpless when "Christ"(read ET's) return to earth to take over for good.  Not trying to get Christians in an uproar just saying that if I were an alien being and wanted to take over that'd be one sweet plan. I mean if you can stop and think for a miniute without the "religious color glasses" on and look at it in a logical way it'd work to a "T".  Just get everyone to believe that the coming invasion is a "good" thing and that it's our saviour coming back to set the earth right and BANG, you've just taken over the entire planet.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#46]
The "Signs" Martians aren't the ones I'm worried about....You should be on the lookout for these nasty little f*&kers!

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
The "Signs" Martians aren't the ones I'm worried about....You should be on the lookout for these nasty little f*&kers!

img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-9/832380/cof.jpg

HA

Jerad
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#48]
While it's kinda neat to think about slugging it out with extraterrestrials with your ARs and Mossbergs, the harsh reality is that a species capable of interstellar travel could, if they wanted to, defeat us with very little effort on their part.  They wouldn't need to use big, destructive weapons, either.  For example, all they would have to do is obtain some samples of human DNA, and genetically engineer a supervirus that would wipe out the entire human race.  Then they just move in and take over the planet.  Of course, such an advanced race would probably have little use for our planet's resources, anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

The aliens might have risen to no more than a feudal culture when they were enslaved or exposed to an advanced species and threw off their oppressors/stolen the tech and started their own crusade of conquest.

Either way, they could show up here with a high/low mix of FTL ships and somewhat conventional weapons that while strange, would not be overwhelming in their firepower.

They would be quite surprised, I imagine, to feel first hand the wrath of a race that had perfected the Art of War in numerous inter-species battles for millennia.
Afghanistan, Russia, Vietnam, and the boys of the Southern United States would fight them down to the last man standing!

The Man-Kizin Wars I, II, III, IV, V . . . . .

What's that line that Louis Wu used? Something like man taught the Kzinti why we didn't practice war anymore; because our species was so damn good at it..."

See also: Footfall by Niven/Pournelle

Damn baby elephant paratroopers..
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top