Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2002 8:14:45 PM EDT
I was wondering if any of you smart folks know what I need in order to watch TV on my PC??

For some reason, and I'm probably wrong, I thought I had what was necessary to do this. Here's a break down of my system just so you know what I'm working with, and so you can point out what I'd need to get TV on my PC...

P4 2Ghz, 512 megs DRAM, 60 gig HD, 64meg nVidia G-Force3 Ti200. Hooked up to a cable modem (provided by the same people who I get my cable TV from, if that makes a difference.)

I know my graphics card has connections for some sort of TV thing-a-ma-jig, but is that so I can use my PC on a TV, or so I can have TV on my PC??

If anyone could tell me what I need in order to get TV going on my PC I'd really appreciate it. I'd rather do that then buy another TV for my bedroom if I don't need to.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I'm note sure about your configuration, but I'm actually watching TV on my Macintosh G3-300 right now; 'Samurai Jack' very cool.

There are a number of ways, but this is what I use.

My Mac has an ATI Xclaim VR RagePro video card hooked up to an ATI Xclaim TV converter box.  Basically the coaxial cable plugs into the converter box and from there to the video card via a S-video cable.  A separate cable carries the audio signal.  The converter box also has RCA jacks so I can plug in a camcorder or other analog device.  The installation software included the appropriate drivers and programs to send the video image onto a window on desktop.  the software also included basic video and image capture capabalities.  I use a signal splitter to also send the coaxial cable to my modem.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
So more than likely my nVidia graphics card isn't enough by itself? If what you say relates to PC's, then I guess I would need some sort of TV converter too?

Cable from my wall > to cable modem > to a TV converter box > to the back of my PC's graphic card? Is that about right?
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#3]
i've found sitting it on top of my monitor is not a good idea, as it tends to fall off. Teeheee.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Your nVidia card does TV-out (so you can play those nice games on a big screen TV instead of a small monitor) and that's all.  You need a card that can do TV-in.  If you didn't already plonk down the bucks for a graphics card, I'd suggest ATi's latest card with the "All-In-Wonder" package.

Since you did, look around on ebay for an older ATi card (make sure it's listed as having TV-in.)  You'll have to fiddle to get all the resource issues handled (two video cards in a system can be tricky, depending on the rest of your setup) but that's what you'r elooking for.  Expect to pay about $20-$40.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:23:41 PM EDT
[#6]
One word: Pray.

Getting it to work, bring in a clear signal, and not conflict with everying else is difficult.

But not impossible. My brothers fried took amost a week to get his to work. Semi ok quality, but better thatn nothing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#7]
That's pretty much the correct sequence for my configuration, but if Zak is correct (No reason to believe he's not) it looks like you're out of luck if you stick with that card.

I almost forgot:

Two neat features are a programmable 'remote' that opens in another window to control the tuner in the card, and the ability to monitor or capture closed captioning.  You can program the CC monitor to continuously look for keywords in the background.    For instance, I can have the TV turned down in the background, but if the CC monitor detects the word "Garand" then it pops to the front.

BTW, I had no trouble at all hooking it up.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Gloftoe is right, you need a card with a TV input and tuner.  Since you already have the GF3, and working with a combination vid card as a second card can be tricky; I suggest that you purchase a seperate TV card. I have a Hauppage basic TV card that cost me about $35 it isn't anything super special but it works just fine.  I think Staples is where I got mine.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey, I spoke too soon.  It looks like ATi makes a TV tuner that hooks up to a USB port on a PC.  They also make a Mac version for those who "Think Different."

[url]http://www.ati.com/na/pages/products/pc/tv_wonder_usb/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Is it really THAT hard to get a good quality picture? I don't understand why that would be.

Second...what channels are available? If it's hooked up to cable(viacable modem) does that mean you get all the same channels you get on your TV, or does it not work that way?
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I have one on my old system I gave to kids. Picture quality should not be an issue. The problem is you can only recieve analog signal. I have digital cable and all of the good channels are above the channel range on the card as they are on TV`s therefore it requires a digital converter box. But any channels that you can recieve on your TV without converter box you can recieve on computer with tuner card.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was wondering if any of you smart folks know what I need in order to watch TV on my PC??

For some reason, and I'm probably wrong, I thought I had what was necessary to do this. Here's a break down of my system just so you know what I'm working with, and so you can point out what I'd need to get TV on my PC...

P4 2Ghz, 512 megs DRAM, 60 gig HD, 64meg nVidia G-Force3 Ti200. Hooked up to a cable modem (provided by the same people who I get my cable TV from, if that makes a difference.)

I know my graphics card has connections for some sort of TV thing-a-ma-jig, but is that so I can use my PC on a TV, or so I can have TV on my PC??

If anyone could tell me what I need in order to get TV going on my PC I'd really appreciate it. I'd rather do that then buy another TV for my bedroom if I don't need to.

Thanks for the help.
View Quote

the GF3 has a TVOUT which lets you hook the PC up to the TV and display the PC on the TV.

you need a TV Tuner Card. Look at things like WinTV or ATI TV Tuner, ect. these can turn your PC into a PVR. record from the TV to your PC.

Enjoy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top