Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/7/2005 5:52:12 PM EDT
Watching Full Metal Jacket on one of the HBO's right now. Dude just put a 7.62 in his head.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
"Who do think you are, John Wayne"
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent movie!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#3]
It's JUST like that too! Well, nowadays they don't really hit you (hard) but other than that, it's a pretty good description of what boot camps really like.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I did not think the Drill Instructor would die so quick.  Great movie so far.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#5]
"Private Joker, why is Private Pyle holding that weapon?  Why are you not stomping Private Pyle's guts out?"
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#6]
WHAT IS YOUR MAJOR MALFUNCTION, NUMBNUTS?!!!

I've seen FMJ way too many times!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#7]
YOU'VE NEVER SEEN THIS MOVIE BEFORE?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Agreed.  Consider this "Culture Module #1."  More to follow.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Sad to say no.  I don't watch a lot of TV.  Saw this was coming on and I had to watch it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Nah, modern basic training isn't anything like that.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Hmmm, maybe I should rent that.  Never seen it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Hard to believe that folks here haven't seen it yet.  Such a classic.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#15]
"Did you're parents have any children that lived?!?"

"You're so ugly, you could be a modern art master-piece!!!"

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#16]
"Me love you loooooong time!"
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#17]
"Let's do it for Doc J and 8 Ball!!"
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I didn't know they stacked shit that high!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#19]
These are great day we're living, bros. We're Jolly Green Giants, walking the Earth . . . with guns!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#20]
great movie
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Nah, modern basic training isn't anything like that.  

Really?  I went thru in the 80's (which I consider recently modern) and I thought it was the best depiction put to film as of yet......

So what was your basic's like?  Are you speaking from experience or outta the side of your head?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#23]
"I wanted to visit Vietnam, the crown jewel of Southeast Asia. I wanted to meet people of an exotic and interesting culture.....and kill them. I want to be the first kid on my block to score a confirmed kill!"

"Sir, does this mean Ann Margaret's not coming?"
[#24]
"Hell, I like you.....you can come to my houe and fuck my sister!"
[#25]
BTW, the DI is R.Lee Ermy. Host of Mail Call on the History Channel. Also starred in "Siege of Firebase Gloria".  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Once in a while I'll play the DVD while I'm working on my computer doing bills.

Here's some for yah:

I am Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, your senior drill instructor. From now on you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be “Sir!”  Do you maggots understand that?

Sir, yes sir.

Bullshit, I can’t here you. Sound off like you got a pair.

SIR, YES SIR!!

If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon, you will be a minister of death, praying for war. But until that day, you are pukes. You are the lowest form of life on earth. You are not even human fucking beings. You are nothing but unorganized grab-asstic pieces of amphibian shit. Because I am hard you will not like me, but the more you hate me the more you will learn. I am hard but I am fair. There is no racial bigotry here. I do not look down on …………………. Here you are all equally worthless. And my orders are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps. Do you maggots understand that?

Sir, yes sir.

BULLSHIT, I CAN’T HERE YOU!

SIR, YES  SIR!!!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#27]
If this movie really did portray boot camp perfectly, I cant believe their aint more dead Drill Instructors!

"ANYONE WHO RUNS IS A V.C..... ANYONE WHO STANDS STILL IS A WELL TRAINED V.C!!!"
"How can you kill women... children...? EASY, YOU JUST DONT LEAD THEM SO MUCH HAHAHAHA"
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Some truths are universal.

That movie captures the spirit of basic training.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
BTW, the DI is R.Lee Ermy. Host of Mail Call on the History Channel. Also starred in "Siege of Firebase Gloria".  

REALLY???????? YOU DON'T SAY SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#30]
"Hey Baby, got girlfriend Vietnam?"
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I remember reading the book the movie was based upon, "The Short Timers" by Gustav Hasford, back in high school. Anyone else read the book as well? It's been a while since I've read it but from what I recall, the movie was pretty close.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:55:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I know a kid a few years behind me in school. talked to him at a party during christmas vacation a couple years ago. He had gone through basic that summer for the Marines. He said it was fairly close with the yelling adn stuff, especially this one nigh when the firewatch guy flushed the "do not flush this urinal" urinal in the bathroom and it started flooding the barracks. I guess the DI let off on a rant that would have put  R Lee to shame.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

and was a chopper pilot in Apocalpse Now, and was a DI in The Boys of Company C, or something with a name like that
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Yes. Yes I do.

I am ashamed to admit this, but I have not seen this movie yet. I have seen the opening before though:

"ONLY TWO THINGS COME FROM TEXAS BOY! QUEERS AND STEERS!! WHICH ONE ARE YOU!!"

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Wrong movie.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Well it is over.  Not to bad.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes. Yes I do.

I am ashamed to admit this, but I have not seen this movie yet. I have seen the opening before though:

"ONLY TWO THINGS COME FROM TEXAS BOY! QUEERS AND STEERS!! WHICH ONE ARE YOU!!"

Who said that? Who the fuck said that? Who's the slimy little communist shit, twinkle-toed cocksucker down here who just signed his own death warrant? Nobody, huh? The fairy fucking godmother said it. Out-fucking-standing. I will PT you all until you fucking die. I'll PT you until your assholes are sucking buttermilk.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong movie.

No, it's the right movie.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:42:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Some of my favorite quotes:

"You had best square yourself away and start shitting me Tiffany cufflinks! Or I will definately fuck you up!"

"What's your excuse?"
"Sir, excuse for what, sir?"
"I'M ASKING THE FUCKING QUESTIONS HERE!"

"I don't like the name Lawrence! Only faggots and sailors are called Lawrence! From now on you're Gomer Pyle!"

"Private Pyle, I'm gonna give you three seconds, exactly three fuckin' seconds, to wipe that stupid lookin' grin off your face or I will gouge out your eyeballs and skull fuck you!"

"Are you nervous? Do I make you nervous?"
"....Sir?"
"Sir what? WERE YOU ABOUT TO CALL ME AN ASSHOLE?" (This is my favourite line of his, it cracks me up every time. It's so harsh.)

"Do you suck dicks?"
"Sir, no sir!"
"BULLSHIT! I bet you could suck a golf ball through a garden hose!"

"Pyle! You climb obstacles like old people fuck!"

"I want that head so sanitary and squared-away that the Virgin Mary herself would be proud to go in there and take a dump!"

"Hell, I like you. You can come over to my house and fuck my sister!"
*SMACK*
"You little scumbag! I've got your name! I'VE GOT YOUR ASS!"
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:52:18 AM EDT
[#40]
me sucky sucky..

THIS IS MY RIFLE.  THERE ARE OTHERS LIKE IT, BUT THIS ONE IS MINE!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:57:20 AM EDT
[#41]
This is one of the greatest military movies ever made. Ermey was just awesome. He's so good that I think I would be disappointed if I got to basic training and he wasn't my DI.

Unfortunately, the movie also seemed to end when Pyle shot him. I just wonder if it's coincidence the rest of the movie sucked because Ermey wasn't in that part?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:02:04 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Watching Full Metal Jacket on one of the HBO's right now. Dude just put a 7.62 in his head.  

Click on my user info!!  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Click on my user info!!  

That would be the spot I was watching at the time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:04:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Some guys I work with say that when I'm zoned out, squinting, reading something on the computer, that I look like Pvt Pyle in that pic!!  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#46]
ARE YOU DIZZY?  ARE YOU FEELING FEINT????  JESUS H. CHRIST...I THINK YOU'VE GOT A HARD ON!!!!

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:13:03 AM EDT
[#47]
i watched this movie the night before i left for marine boot camp. what a great movie i look back and laugh at how that movie really put the fear of god in me about the di's.

the best line in that movie has got to be" anyone who runs is a v.c. anyone who stands still is a well disiplined v.c."
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:22:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I remember reading the book the movie was based upon, "The Short Timers" by Gustav Hasford, back in high school. Anyone else read the book as well? It's been a while since I've read it but from what I recall, the movie was pretty close.

I read it and you are right. FMJ did stay close to the book.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Unfortunately, the movie also seemed to end when Pyle shot him. I just wonder if it's coincidence the rest of the movie sucked because Ermey wasn't in that part?

I think what happened is the movie took a turn from a pro-war point of view in basic training to anti-war when the setting changed to Vietnam.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top