Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 11:11:48 AM EST
I'm sitting here watching BoB again and listening to some of the real guys that fought in that war talk about it. It still gets to them after all this time and seeing them tear up over it just tares my heart out. It makes me hurt to see the effect that that war had on them but it also makes me proud to think that they'd go thru that to help free people from the Nazis. It also makes me very proud to think that right now, in Iraq and Afganistan our own modern day "Band of Brothers" are fighting the good fight to free people. God bless all of them from back then and today. They are truly heros in my book.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:13:51 AM EST
yeah jumping in and landing with only your knife! thats balls.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:15:47 AM EST

Originally Posted By Mak762:
yeah jumping in and landing with only your knifeand stayin' in the fight! thats balls.

Fixed it for ya'.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:19:40 AM EST
Yep, on the last night of vacation (all last week-didja miss me?) I downed a few Bloody Marys with Bud Light chasers and watched B of B. It had been a while since I'd watched any of them.

Still moving, still highest quality production.

I think I'll have to put the book back in the bathroom for a "shitter book".
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:25:02 AM EST
I'm not much for reading books other then for info reasons but I did read a few about 'Nam. One of the better ones was "Recondo-LRRP's in the 101st Airborne" by Larry Chambers. Also, "Touring Nam-The Vietnam War Reader" was a good read too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:42:18 AM EST
TN: One of Larry Chamber's LRRP team mates was Gary Linderer and he has 3 books out that are all excellent.

Give 'em a try.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:59:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By gamesniper:
TN: One of Larry Chamber's LRRP team mates was Gary Linderer and he has 3 books out that are all excellent.

Give 'em a try.

I remember reading one by him, it was an excellent book. Darryl Young also has one out called "The Element of Surprise-Navy SEALs in Vietnam" that good as well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:04:39 PM EST
I saw BoB in its entirety when it was first broadcast on HBO.

I watched the reruns on HBO.

I recieved the DVD set as a Christmas present and watched it all in one sitting that following New Year's Eve.

I have rewatched the DVD on more than one occasion.

Anytime it is on the History Channel, I watch it.

Yeah, so I have been watching it this weekend, much to my girlfriend's chagrin.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:11:01 PM EST
I think movies like BoB and Saving Pvt. Ryan have given us a new appreciation of just what those guys went thru during WWII. Movies like were made during the war(WWII) weren't able and I guess didn't want to show what really went on over there. Now that we've got movies like BoB we can see the kind of heros that our fathers and grandfathers really were and have a better understanding of what war is all about and why it's the last thing that we want in this world. War is not "pretty" or filled with glory, it's HELL and the men that went thru it and that are going thru it right now deserve out undying respect.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:14:01 PM EST
Same here I am watching also, the wife gets mad everytime I watch it, because I watch it everytime it comes on.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:17:16 PM EST
I really need to buy this series.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:27:36 PM EST
No doubt the best series (mini or otherwise...not sure how they classify it) that was ever on tv.
Top Top