Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/21/2017 5:58:00 PM EDT
And I have to say I was disappointed, it wasn't a bad movie, but it didn't live up to my expectations after seeing what others say about it.

I know CSB and all 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Watch it again then.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Like many Tarantino flicks, the first few viewings are basically to just see the plot outline.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#3]
it's mediocre if you think of it as a coherent movie.  if you think of it as a sketch show, it gets a lot better.

one of the most overrated movies in film history, but it improves every time you re-watch it (preferably while drunk with friends).
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]
FPNI

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Some things are just lost on certain people I guess. You need to look at the nuances of the dialog- That's what makes it truly special. Like his other flicks- They aren't necessarily great movies per se, but the nuances of the dialog between the characters really  is something special. This is true for all his films in one scene or another.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And I have to say I was disappointed, it wasn't a bad movie, but it didn't live up to my expectations after seeing what others say about it.

I know CSB and all 
View Quote

Agreed. Never did live up to the hype.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't really think of a good way to describe it, I guess it felt like it had the potential to be a great movie, but they drug out pretty much all the dialogue and tried to be deep and philosophical at times. It generally felt "slow"

I was pretty disappointed with Inglorious Bastards as well but ljked it better than this I would say. I'm guessing the Tarantino style just isn't for me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the movie for the most part. I hate how it jumps around though. I'm not a fan of tarantino's work.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#9]
If it weren't for the all star cast, it wouldn't be so loved.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some things are just lost on certain people I guess. You need to look at the nuances of the dialog- That's what makes it truly special. Like his other flicks- They aren't necessarily great movies per se, but the nuances of the dialog between the characters really  is something special. This is true for all his films in one scene or another.
View Quote
I agree with this. His films certainly have flaws, but what he always nails is great dialog. I find Reservoir Dogs to be my least favorite of his films, but I think it has some of the best dialog of ANY movie. The "leave a tip" scene is IMO one of the best movie conversations ever filmed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#11]
It's one of the few films (for me) that got better the second time I watched it.

My wife had the same reaction too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If it weren't for the all star cast, it wouldn't be so loved.
View Quote
It has a lot of things that make it a good movie.  The cast is definitely one of them but the conversations, the shock value of some of the scenes, and the broken up timeline are also selling points for some.  I still like it.  

One of my favorite lines that made the movie such a part of Americana was when Butch was in the cab.  "I'm an American honey, our names don't mean shit."
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#13]
You know what this is? It's the world's smallest violin, playing just for the faggots that didn't like "Pulp Fiction".
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Another thing to remember is this was a very revolutionary film for the time in terms of dialog and characters.  A lot of the style pretty much become standard fare in later films - not only by Tarantino but other directors as well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Back when it came out on VHS I used to joke that no matter where in the tape you started it in, it would make the same amount of sense as if you started at the beginning.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Watch it again then.
View Quote
And again... and again... It gets better every time!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#18]
It is a film that bears multiple viewings.  

It's like The Usual Suspects.  I watched it, went "Huh, what was everyone so gushing about?"  A couple more times though, appreciation.

Another one that takes multiple viewings is Primer.  I think if I watch it about 50 more times, I may understand most of it.  :D
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#19]
We should have shotguns for this shit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#20]
It is one of the best.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#21]
after all these years, the thing I remember most the the AD in the car.

meh.

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Watch and rewatch. You missed things the first time, trust me.

One of my favorite movies.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#23]
There aren't many films as important and influential in the world of film making as Pulp Fiction.

The fact that it is hugely entertaining, to most people anyway, is a bonus.

This is one great movie.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Back when it came out on VHS I used to joke that no matter where in the tape you started it in, it would make the same amount of sense as if you started at the beginning.
View Quote
A buddy of mine who had some film editing equipment back in the late '90's cut the movie up and put it in chronological order
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Its just one of those movies you need to watch twice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

after all these years, the thing I remember most the the AD in the car.

meh.

View Quote
Funny shit.

The Scene
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#27]
"Bring up the Gimp"
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Did the buttrape scene make you uncomfortable?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#29]
First post.

Use it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Tarantino's greatest skills are to tell a story anachronistically as well as brilliant dialogue.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#31]
What were you expecting, exactly?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Parts of it were really good, others felt unnecessarily drawn out I guess is the best way to sum up my thoughts. I liked it, and I'll be keeping it to probably watch again sometime. I just had higher expectations I guess, or the wrong ones maybe.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#33]
You're dead to me
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine who had some film editing equipment back in the late '90's cut the movie up and put it in chronological order
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ever seen Memento? That movie is about a guy with amnesia, he only remembers today, then when he wakes up tomorrow he starts all over again. The movie jumps all over the place and is actually a really awesome movie... when you watch it in chronological order it's nowhere near as good, lol (there is a trick on the DVD I believe or a regular option in the menu, no editing needed).
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#35]
On first viewing it is hard to follow. Upon second viewing you get the plot. Next time thr nuances come out.

Also, OP you are decades late to the party. It's like a millenial watching the Matrix, nothing is new or revolutionary about it anymore. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Parts of it were really good, others felt unnecessarily drawn out I guess is the best way to sum up my thoughts. I liked it, and I'll be keeping it to probably watch again sometime. I just had higher expectations I guess, or the wrong ones maybe.
View Quote
So, not enough Transformers for you?

Is that what you're trying to say?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Is there a sign in my front yard......

Eta: I'd be interested in viewing it with the scenes put into the actual order in which they occur to see if it was still as good.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I agree with this. His films certainly have flaws, but what he always nails is great dialog. I find Reservoir Dogs to be my least favorite of his films, but I think it has some of the best dialog of ANY movie. The "leave a tip" scene is IMO one of the best movie conversations ever filmed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The "Leave a tip" scene is a close second to Dennis Hopper/Christopher Walken's "Sicilians are spawned by n******"" scene in True Romance.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
On first viewing it is hard to follow. Upon second viewing you get the plot. Next time thr nuances come out.

Also, OP you are decades late to the party. It's like a millenial watching the Matrix, nothing is new or revolutionary about it anymore. 
View Quote
This might be part of the problem, I'm only 2 years older than Pulp Fiction! Lol. I will say though the Matrix was awesome even just seeing it the first time about 7-8 years ago and I got all 3 after seeing the first one!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I have watched everything he has made and it's all trash.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's what I thought too. There are a lot of really funny parts, but somewhere in the middle of it it just gets looooong and kind of boring.

Maybe I'm just one who doesn't get it though, I don't have the attention span to sit down and watch most movies anyway.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#43]
It's important to remember that when Tarantino started making movies that whole format of violence/dialog/skewed timelines was new. We're used to it now, but at the time it was new and exciting.

My favorite movie of his is True Romance and he wasn't even involved in making it, but the dialog is amazing. Strangely enough it came from the same script as Natural Born Killers.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#44]
The first time you watch it you'll miss plenty.  It warrants more than once.  Some classic lines.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Watch Jackie Brown if you haven't seen it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#46]
It's not an age thing. I was disappointed as well after all my friends told me what a great movie it was and I left thinking what the hell is the big deal. I liked Reservoir Dogs better.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhh no, transformers was kind of lame!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Great movie.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Big Kahuna burger.  "Burgers for breakfast.."  I laughed so hard when he scarfs the guys burger and drains his soda before he kills him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top