Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 7:08:01 AM EDT
Do those of you who have watches with a bezel actually use it? I have a Breitling Colt, and I use that bezel occasionally for timing things. I don't know if I'm using it correctly, but it serves my purpose. I usually wear an Omega Seamaster Professional, but that damn bezel is such a pain to get a grip on so I don't really use it.

If you do use it, what kind of watch is it, and what is the function of the bezel (slide rule, second time zone, diving, etc.)?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:09:30 AM EDT
Mine has a rottaing bezel to track time. I use it during presentations to I don't exceed my alotted time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:13:23 AM EDT
When I had my TAG, I used the bezel all the time. It's almost as if they designed it to be a timer!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:13:32 AM EDT
I use mine when I dive. Set my max bottom time for depth and no matter what any other gauge says I surface on time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:18:02 AM EDT
My Citizen Skyhawk has an E6-B bezel that I use when I fly.

But I'm finding that the engravings are so small that my 50 year old eyes are starting to have trouble seeing all the info without reading glasses on...
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:19:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:

But I'm finding that the engravings are so small that my 50 year old eyes are starting to have trouble seeing all the info without reading glasses on...

I couldn't imagine using a watch bezel to compute while bouncing around in a Cherokee!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:30:31 AM EDT

What do you use it for? I don't know how that works.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:41:00 AM EDT
I have a couple of (real) Zodiac's inc a SeaWolf. I use the bezel all the time for timing stuff.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:48:15 AM EDT
all the time, as a compass
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:48:36 AM EDT

What do you use it for? I don't know how that works.

An E6-B is sort of a circular slide rule that is used in aviation.
E6Bs are used during flight planning (on the ground before takeoff) to aid in calculating fuel burn, wind correction, time enroute, etc.
In the air, the E6B can also be used to calculate ground speed.
The back is designed for wind correction calculations, although this feature doesn't exsist on the watch.

Here's a pic of the small version of a E6-B on a Citizen Skyhawk watch.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:52:46 AM EDT
The bezel on most dive watches is placed there more for show these days than anything, most dive comps will do the same thing (better). No I don't use it when I dive.

As for my watch bezel ring on my day-to-day watch at work, I used to used it until the numbers wore off. I was able to replace it when I got a repair kit from Suunto (I use a Vector), helps me keep track of general directions when I use the compass feature. It has since jammed on me because of all of the dust and grit in my work environment. Kinda sux.

So... yeah, I do. And I don't.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:10:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tweeter:
The bezel on most dive watches is placed there more for show these days than anything, most dive comps will do the same thing (better). No I don't use it when I dive.

The thing I like about the bezel is it is my line I don't cross. Sure a dive comp will extend a dive, and yeah, they are cool, but electronics fail, and it usually happens at the worst possible time. Call me old fashioned, but i've been diving for 26 years all over the world, and no problems yet related to bottom time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:24:16 AM EDT
I've got a Rolex GMT Master and the bezel is great! In case you're not familiar with the GMT, it has a 24-hour hand and a 24-hour bezel. When you travel, you can set the watch to local time, then rotate the bezel to show another time zone on the 24-hour hand.

I spent 8 months traveling around China and the GMT really saved my ass. When you have a dozen people breathing down your neck for the answer to a technical problem, it sure is nice to take a quick glance at your watch and say "It's 2:30am back at the home office. We can call them this afternoon and get the info you need" or "They haven't responded to your FAX because they're all still in bed. You should have an answer around dinner time." Otherwise it's "let's see - 16 hours difference, and then you have the International Date Line..." Forget it!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:45:52 AM EDT
tag - use it when I say I will be home in xxx minutes to figure how much play time I still have left before I got to leave.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:39:24 PM EDT
I use mine for timing various things, and plus ... it just LOOKS GOOD.

I like a chronograph. I hate anything else. I have a Festina Road Warrior.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:43:31 PM EDT
I use mine on my Tag to time things regularly.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:49:36 PM EDT

I use the one on my Luminox.

And my dive watches before.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:55:02 PM EDT
All the time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:57:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Chimborazo:
Do those of you who have watches with a bezel actually use it? I have a Breitling Colt, and I use that bezel occasionally for timing things. I don't know if I'm using it correctly, but it serves my purpose. I usually wear an Omega Seamaster Professional, but that damn bezel is such a pain to get a grip on so I don't really use it.

If you do use it, what kind of watch is it, and what is the function of the bezel (slide rule, second time zone, diving, etc.)?

I have 4 watches and they all have a rotating bezel. I like the look. The only thing I ever use it for is to time stuff on the grill.

Here's my favorite of the four and the one I wear the most.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:00:05 PM EDT
I use mine to time meat on the grill. When you're drinking beer, sometimes it's hard to remember what time you put the steaks on!
Top Top