Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/5/2012 7:31:07 AM EDT
A lot of people here, and elsewhere, don't understand why I have a disdain for the much of the National Park system.  Out west where no one wants the land?  Sure?  Booting people off? Nope.

Growing up in this area as a kid, I was always interested in the history of the area and after talking to a lot of the old folk, I learned that in some cases, the government isn't your friend.

An interesting read.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:38:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't think of any use of Eminent Domain that is "proper".
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A lot of people here, and elsewhere, don't understand why I have a disdain for the much of the National Park system.  Out west where no one wants the land?  Sure?  Booting people off? Nope.

Growing up in this area as a kid, I was always interested in the history of the area and after talking to a lot of the old folk, I learned that in some cases, the government isn't your friend.
An interesting read.

Yup.

The remnants of a farmhouse belonging to my great grandparents is in a national park.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

An interesting read.

Yup.

The remnants of a farmhouse belonging to my great grandparents is in a national park.  

The folks in the small valley (which turned into a hollow) where I grew up have been unable to get to family cemeteries because of SNP.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#5]
FBLM
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

first post win.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sorry, this shows your ignorance of the west. The govt. continues to kick people off federal land, in the name of conserving the natural quiet of when people lived there. Unique animals and plants, that have lived on private land, are no longer safe and the federal govt. seizes the land. My family has lost land, due to the fact a pupfish lived across the street and people living there is too close.

It has nothing to do with people not wanting the land, only the greenies and liberals seizing every piece they can.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

This.

The entire concept is revolting.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:49:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

That.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:52:15 AM EDT
[#10]
They did the same thing when they acquired land for the GSM national park. Lots of folks around there are still pissed about it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, this shows your ignorance of the west. The govt. continues to kick people off federal land, in the name of conserving the natural quiet of when people lived there. Unique animals and plants, that have lived on private land, are no longer safe and the federal govt. seizes the land. My family has lost land, due to the fact a pupfish lived across the street and people living there is too close.

It has nothing to do with people not wanting the land, only the greenies and liberals seizing every piece they can.

Dude, slow down.  I know exactly what's going on in the west.  I'm talking about areas that were never owned at one time (part of the Louisiana Purchase) for example.  I would rather have all of that land owned by private entities.  You obviously don't read a lot of what I post.

I'm talking about using eminent domain to kick people off because "the land is pretty" and based on what you stated about "well this shit's too rare for anyone to own".

Calm down.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well thats just a bunch of bullshit.

Military bases, courthouses, prisons, etc.?

Government doesn't need to build that sort of thing?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:54:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

They did the same thing when they acquired land for the GSM national park. Lots of folks around there are still pissed about it.

I figured as such.  Damn shame.  Thank you progressivism.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Take it all. We'll make more!!!

Oh, wait. No... that's money. My mistake.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should see the monstrosity of a courthouse they've built here. No fucking reason we need a $60 million court house for a county that has 70,000 people.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You should see the monstrosity of a courthouse they've built here. No fucking reason we need a $60 million court house for a county that has 70,000 people.

You ain't seen nothin' until you've seen the Federal Courthouse in Miami.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I figured as such.  Damn shame.  Thank you progressivism.  

It isn't only progressivism.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, you know they could do like us peasants and wait until a suitable parcel comes up for sale.  Or they could always make an offer, and actually give the owner the option to say no....
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, you know they could do like us peasants and wait until a suitable parcel comes up for sale.  Or they could always make an offer, and actually give the owner the option to say no....

So then they can never build the structure where the structure needs to be built.

Nope, can't build that shipyard in the bay. Sorry, no one wants to sell. Why not try building that submarine in Kansas?
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:06:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So then they can never build the structure where the structure needs to be built.

Nope, can't build that shipyard in the bay. Sorry, no one wants to sell. Why not try building that submarine in Kansas?

Do you even know who builds ships for this country

There is only one yard capable of building aircraft carriers in this country.  

Hint: it's not the US government.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:07:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Man if we didn't have government, were would we put the ports?  Further proof of why we need central planning!
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

An interesting read.

You can stay the hell out of my state.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

An interesting read.

Shesh.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if the government needed to build another tomorrow to build warships RFN, what do you suggest? Patiently waiting until someone puts some land for sale?

The government has always had, and must have, the power to seize land for public uses.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And if the government needed to build another tomorrow to build warships RFN, what do you suggest? Patiently waiting until someone puts some land for sale?

The government has always had, and must have, the power to seize land for public uses.
I have very little regard for governmental power as it is, and continues to be abused.  What the fuck is the point in having a government to protect our liberty if it engages in the very acts that it's supposed to protect us from?

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have very little regard for governmental power as it is, and continues to be abused.  What the fuck is the point in having a government to protect our liberty if it engages in the very acts that it's supposed to protect us from?  

Because our forefathers not only recognized that one of the inherent powers of government is the power of eminent domain, but also put limits on that power.

The political mucking up of this power and its misuse is another question entirely. The fact that it is there is just that, a fact.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

An interesting read.

Shesh.

I'm almost humored here: for once you throw the government a bone in your musings about federal land ownership, and before we get off page one two different people have crawled up your butt about it.

Back to the topic, though, look into the Tennessee Valley Authority and their history with dam-building. Lots of farmers got relocated in the name of 'progress'. Sure, it's nice to have electricity......but it's amazing that people think we'd never have had it without the TVA. The story of rural america's electrification rarely mentions the people who (figuratively) were in the path of the bulldozers making the dams.....

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:...  Out west where no one wants the land?  Sure?

Shesh.

Thinking like that is a prime example why some jackass from back east should have no vote on what happens out west. How do you know who wants the land or not? You have no clue. Just because there is "nothing there" does not mean it's not used, and does not mean it has no value outside of being "protected" as a park of some sort.

I agree that seizing land to form national parks ( or to build retardedly expensive courthouses) is bullshit. But mind your own business and you wont be mindin' mine...

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#29]
EMERGENCY ALET ALET WE SPENT ALL OUR TAX MONEY ON A NEW CITY HALL!

Quick, go buy that subdivision, sell it to the highest bidding developer and get some shopping malls and condos in there, NAO!

Sounds like a crisis to me, fire up the D9s!
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Out west where no one wants the land?

I am weary of this attitude from all of the east coast peckerheads.

"Out West" is where we live, work & play.  If you can't respect that, then don't ask us to respect you.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:20:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Out West" is where we live, work & play.  If you can't respect that, then don't ask us to respect you.

Amen.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen.

It's hilarious that of all people on this site, the ONE person whoconsistently advocates a reduction of federal land ownership is getting reamed about....federal land ownership.

Y'all really ought to figure out who your friends are before you walk into a fight.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#33]
The Gods of the First Post are appeased.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

These posts are sort of ironic considering just how many westerners have screamed bloody murder when I've suggested that the government should sell off some of the ridiculous amounts of land they own out west.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen.

It's hilarious that of all people on this site, the ONE person whoconsistently advocates a reduction of federal land ownership is getting reamed about....federal land ownership.

Y'all really ought to figure out who your friends are before you walk into a fight.

Well according to his post he only cares about that shit where he lives.  

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:30:56 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:...  Out west where no one wants the land?  Sure?

Shesh.

Thinking like that is a prime example why some jackass from back east should have no vote on what happens out west. How do you know who wants the land or not? You have no clue. Just because there is "nothing there" does not mean it's not used, and does not mean it has no value outside of being "protected" as a park of some sort.

I agree that seizing land to form national parks ( or to build retardedly expensive courthouses) is bullshit. But mind your own business and you wont be mindin' mine...

Do you ever read what I post?  Is this the first thread on land use that I've participated in that you've read?  I'm talking, in the west about land that no one wants, like land that's so arid and has always been owned by the government.  I'm not talking land that has been owned.  

I've always openly advocated selling off land that has value.

The only reason I stated about land out west is to differentiate land that isn't valuable or hasn't been in private hands from land that has been privately held.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:33:01 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen.

Well according to his post he only cares about that shit where he lives.  

How did you arrive to that conclusion?  Fuck, half of you pinned your ears back a couple months ago when I advocated that much of the BLM, National Forests and some parks should be SOLD to private individuals.

All I got is "how are we going to hunt without federal land!!!"  Gee, the same way we do here back east, we ASK for permission or pay up.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

That.

Yep.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't think that uncompromising eminent domain should be used for private inholdings within National Parks if the people don't want to sell/move. Instead, I favor the standing offer and the limitation that owners keep it in the family (and can pass it on to future generations). If they want to sell it, the gov can buy it.

Here in CO, they darn near kicked an old lady out of her house in RMNP where she had lived her whole life. It darn near took an act of congress to let her stay until she dies.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You do realize that the constitution provided for eminent domain?  

The same document that provided the 2A, you can't keep just the parts you like and get rid of the parts you don't.

Note:  This is not an endorsement of all of the goverments use of the eminent domain clause, their are times were it is needed and proper.  But I'll be the first to say the goverment has abused and overused it in the same way they have the commerce clause.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The same document that provided the 2A, you can't keep just the parts you like and get rid of the parts you don't.

Note:  This is not an endorsement of all of the goverments use of the eminent domain clause, their are times were it is needed and proper.  But I'll be the first to say the goverment has abused and overused it in the same way they have the commerce clause.

Being in the Constitution doesn't mean it's a good idea, or right.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I know what he was trying to say. I know his history. But apparently he's okay with taking MY backyard ("No one wants") but not with me taking HIS backyard.  

He should have thought that over more before he posted those words.

Are the federal goverment, state governments, and local goverments abusing power all over the entire country? You bet your ass. Is he right for pointing out a problem? Yes. Is he wrong to think that it's "ok" ... "somewhere else" ... YES.

The land that "no one wants" is where people out west live, work, play. Drilling and mining for oil, natural gas, coal, postash, copper, gold, silver and other minerals. Grazing livestock. Recreation.

Just because we have elbow room doesn't mean the land isn't valuable, or that no one wants it.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know what he was trying to say. I know his history. But apparently he's okay with taking MY backyard ("No one wants") but not with me taking HIS backyard.  

Are the federal goverment, state governments, and local goverments abusing power all over the entire country? You bet your ass. Is he right for pointing out a problem? Yes. Is he wrong to think that it's "ok" ... "somewhere else" ... YES.

The land that "no one wants" is where people out west live, work, play. Drilling and mining for oil, natural gas, coal, postash, copper, gold, silver and other minerals. Grazing livestock. Recreation.

Just because we have elbow room doesn't mean the land isn't valuable, or that no one wants it.

I've never said any of that.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you and him (and I) are all on the same page here. Can we get back to hating the NPS for taking granny's house site for a park?

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:47:53 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually,  you can.  It's called putting in a Constitutional Amendment.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it's a lot better if it is our government doing those things, because, like, I guess it'd be much worserer if it was someone else!
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you and him (and I) are all on the same page here. Can we get back to hating the NPS for taking granny's house site for a park?

No kidding.

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, it's a lot better if it is our government doing those things, because, like, I guess it'd be much worserer if it was someone else!

Kinda like being fucked in the ass by your uncle "hey, at this this isn't being done to you by a stranger"

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

How did you arrive to that conclusion?  Fuck, half of you pinned your ears back a couple months ago when I advocated that much of the BLM, National Forests and some parks should be SOLD to private individuals.  

All I got is "how are we going to hunt without federal land!!!"  Gee, the same way we do here back east, we ASK for permission or pay up.

How do I come to that conclusion?

Well, I open a thread, and the first post contains the previously quoted phrase.  Your words.

I don't recall a two month old thread, and have no idea who you are.

I applaud the idea that lands held by the federal govt. in NV be returned to private ownership. You certainly did not promote that with your first post.  That will never happen of course, and even the Homeland Security idiots want a piece of the action here in NV now.  

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda like being fucked in the ass by your uncle "hey, at this this isn't being done to you by a stranger"  

Uncle Sam?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top