Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 5:58:40 PM EST
I was sitting here just thinking was anyone ever arrested and charged with being in violation of the AWB. That should be a deciding factor in keeping the law. I mean in 10 years they must have arrested what thousands of people right??????? (crickets) If a law is not generating arrests for violations do we really need that law????
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:00:37 PM EST
Only those who had other charges brought against them. Like drug dealers who had illegally configured weapons. It was something to tack on.

No average joe, law abiding, citizen got in trouble over it in the 10 years it has been on the books.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:33:42 PM EST
I remember something about a shop local to me getting charged with selling illegally configured SKSs, so some quick Googling turned up this:

www.lawguru.com/cgi/bbs/user/sendQuestion.cgi?id=512605397

What's funny is that that link leads to a site where their lawyer is asking other lawyers about the law. Sounds like they need a new lawyer.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:10:13 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:15:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By Troy:
Lot and lots of people had their guns (including what ever optics and accessories they had with them at the time) confiscated, but were not charged.

Others were charged, but either had their case dismissed or were allowed to plea down before going to court.

Others were charged, but had their weapons charges dropped in return for pleading guilty to their other charges.

Only a handful of cases actually got to court, and most of those were resolved with less than full penalty.

But, consider what a single tricked-out M4 with ACOG, M900 Surefire, etc. can cost, and imagine having it confiscated. You are instantly deprived of $3000-4000+ of property that you'll never see again. Many people trivialize simple confiscation, but when you think about it this way...

-Troy

Now ya' know why we call em' "Gun Grabbers".
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:17:38 PM EST
I dont know of anyone myself, I knew someone else they saw someone busted once, but they were being an asshole at the range which caused it.
Top Top