Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2002 11:17:45 AM EDT
I carefully advertised and sold a hicap mag on Ebay (it's all how you word it).  the buyer sent his m/o and when I got ready to ship it, I realized the buyer was in Kalifornia.  I emailed the buyer and advised him thatI didn't think it was going to be legal for him to receive and possess the mag due to his state laws.  I let him know that I would mail it somewhere else (relative in  different state??) or I would return his money order.  He said just to mail it back to him.

I mailed him back the money order and I just got it back today as return to sender, address unknown??

As far as I know, the blame would lie on him for receiving the mag and I'm not aware of any laws concerning shipping to Kali, but since I know he can't legally receive it, can I somehow be charged w/a crime?  Am I the test case??  Was I set up?  If this was a "sting", it would be easy for the feds to have the m/o "returned".

What do I do now about the money order??  

Paranoid?

scottMO
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:27:00 AM EDT
[#2]
As long as the mag was pre-ban and legal per the 1994 Act, the only law broken would be, I would guess, the possession by your buyer of a high cap mag in Kalifornia and this would be only a Kalifornia offense attributable to him, not a Federal offense attributable to you.

I am not an attorney and this is only a guess.
Besides, you did not ship to Kali anyway. I would hold the MO until you hear from the guy again.

These stinking gun laws only burden the honest and law abiding!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds shady but I don't know if it was a setup. Very shady though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#5]
As long as you aren't going to be in that state, screw 'em!
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would bet your clever, necessary wording on ebay just confused him.  Who in hell can keep all this crap straight?  We just had an embarrassing incident here in Illinois involving our idiot Attorney General Jim Ryan, who ordered his minions to "buy" some "illegal" firearms on the internet.  They told deliberate lies regarding legality, and managed to nab one guy, details not released, from Michigan.  ATF severely criticized them for not cooperating with them.  They also nailed an LEO from Ohio, but did not file charges due to "lack of evidence."  

I would just e-mail the guy again, after double checking the address.  Let him know what happened, proceed as he advises.  
View Quote

You know...just about any intern lawyer would have a field day with that dude's case.  It's called ENTRAPMENT!  How about soliciting a FELONY too?  Well...we'll see but I think that [dummy] guy will walk.

Beware out there!  Our world is full of antis that want our guns and will do anything to get them.

[pissed][soapbox][pissed]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top