Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/20/2004 9:59:11 AM EST
My best friend called me at 7am this morning to watch her kids.

Her husband was so sick (pukey, fever, dizzy) last night that he couldn't drive all the way home. He pulled over about 20 miles away from home, called her, and she had to leave the kids at home alone to go pick him up. Then this morning he has an important job to do so even though he's sick he's going to go in anyway. Fine, we’ve all been there.

She drives him to pick up his car where he left it so he can drive himself the rest of the way in. But when they get there he says he’s still too sick to drive himself so she has to take him all the way in to the office.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...her 4 young kids (ages 2, 4, and 5yr old twins) are left in the care of her 12yr old daughter. She doesn't like the idea of leaving them at home alone for the amount of time it will take to cart hubby all the way to work and drive back so she calls me up at 7am to go over and watch them.

The 12 yr old feeds the twins and starts getting them ready for school as I pack up my kids to take them over to her house so that I can help out. When I get there I need to finish getting the twins ready, ensure they get on the bus, and keep an eye on the 12yr old, 2yr old and 4 yr old until my friend gets home. (The 12 yr old had already missed her bus so my friend was going to drive her in to school as soon as she got home.)

Now, I ain't too quick, but I ain't too slow either....so I got to thinkin’: Ya know, I've never been so sick that I couldn't drive yet at the same time well enough to function at my job. Is it possible, or have you ever been this type of sick?

Her hubby has a history of mild hypochondria…but if this is for attention it’s awfully extreme. On the one hand, I really don’t want to think he could be such a jerk, on the other hand it’s pretty strange how he is ok to function at work, but not ok enough to get there himself. Sure it’s nice to have someone drive you in when you’re sick, but I’ve never been UNABLE to drive, but able to work. For me it would have to be a real emergency for me to even think of screwing up so many people’s schedules. The more I think about it, the less I think this was emergency enough to warrant such a mess.

Does this sound fishy to you? I'd do anything to help out my friends, and I'm not the type to keep score, but I don't want to be a sucker either.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:03:32 AM EST
Recent research done by arowneragain indicates that some women may not be fully rational, therefore may consider themselves sick enough to refrain from a particular task, yet able to perform an even more demanding task while under the influence of the same illness.

Further research is taking place, and rest assured, future findings will be posted.....
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:12:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 10:13:53 AM EST by Persephone]

Originally Posted By arowneragain:
Recent research done by arowneragain indicates that some women may not be fully rational, therefore may consider themselves sick enough to refrain from a particular task, yet able to perform an even more demanding task while under the influence of the same illness.

Further research is taking place, and rest assured, future findings will be posted.....

The husband is the sick one. The wife is carting him around.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:18:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By Persephone:

A quick review of my notes indicates that men are sometimes not fully rational, either....

(what? Why are you staring at me with that 'you're guilty' look? What did I do?)
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:57:39 AM EST
You're right I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's just a goob.

Though he tends to be the type who always has "the worst" cold, "the worst" pain...oh woe is me....

Normally I wouldn't even second guess doing a favor for my friend, but on some occasions her hubby makes me -> .
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:01:52 AM EST
Your friend's husband is probably sick, with an illness of body or mind. You were doing a favor for your friend, who is evidently aware of her husband's situation. If this is the first time she's asked, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt. You did a nice deed. Also, you can say "No" if it becomes too burdensome.

Perhaps, they were judging their risks, too. After all, how many people drive their desks accidentally off of a cliff? His concentration is off, but that doesn't mean he can't do work tasks. I've had jobs I could do half blind.

I don't know this guy's history, but having several family members who have finally been diagnosed with autoimmune diseases after being offered depression medicine, called hypochondriacs, and just plain ignored, I'm look at it all differently.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:03:44 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:12:31 AM EST
the only thing I can think of where too sick to drive doesn't mean too sick to work is if he just has to show up for one of those meetings where nothing gets done, yet he has to be there.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:17:40 AM EST
I think he was hoping he would slowly recover enough on the ride in, that by the time he was at work he might be able to preform.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:29:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 11:45:27 AM EST by wedge1082]
hmmmmm. I call b.s. on him being ok to work, but I don't think you are a sucker.

Once a long time ago I went on a drinking spree with the intent to close down the bars in the Old Town area of Wichita. My only mistake in my quest was that once I was carted home by my drinking buddy, I came to the realization that it was a weekday and I had to work the next morning.

When I awoke the next morning I not only still felt a little buzzed, but my head was pounding and my stomach was doing loops. Being the faithful employee that I was (this was before ar15.com killed my hard work ethic) I dragged my sorry ass into my truck and started to make the drive into work.

At the time I worked in a small town about 30 miles away from the city. Just outside of the city limits I felt the sudden urge to vomit and without enough warning to do anything about it I threw up all over the dashboard and myself.

I found the nearest gas station and pulled over to examine my situation. After looking at my cloths and appearance in the mirror it became apparent that I could not continue into work in the shape I was in. Not to mention how worthless I would be once there due to my drunken and sickly state.

I used the paper towels found next to the gas pumps to clean off my dash enough to see the gauges, climbed back in, rolled down the windows, and drove home where I promptly called in sick.

The point of all this is that I was too sick too drive and too sick too work.

The End.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:39:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 11:40:22 AM EST by Aimless]
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:42:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 12:01:25 PM EST by Persephone]

Originally Posted By Aimless:
I guess it doesn't really matter, you were in kind of a spot, regardless of the BSness of the story she's your friend and calling on it probably wasn't the right thing to do and her little ones needed you.

VERY VERY TRUE! But does it make me a bad friend if I grumble about it just a teeny bit?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:42:57 AM EST

arow that toooo funny
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:55:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By MrsGloftoe:
IMO, too sick to drive = too sick to work. If he comes home from work and goes to the ball game or something, you have my permission to kick him in the nads.

Welcome home! Hope you had a good time!

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:57:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By V-Rod:

arow that toooo funny

Sad part is, it's mostly true.....
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:10:29 PM EST
Anyone who has four kids is sick!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:14:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/20/2004 12:14:41 PM EST by wedge1082]
This reminds me, Persephone Mrs. Wedge will be working this evening and I don't feel too good. Can you come over and watch little Ms. Wedge until 8:00 or so.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:23:21 PM EST
Suckered in or not, you did the right thing because the kids needed you. And yes, it is ok to grumble about it a little bit. Hard to even think how he thought he could work if he couldn't drive. I grumble about MrGH all the time (just not here, much as I want to). It always makes me feel better.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:55:42 PM EST
Hypochondriac? What meds is he taking? May describe the driving situation..........
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:09:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By wildearp:
Hypochondriac? What meds is he taking? May describe the driving situation..........

Actually none. Was not sick enough to go to dr? But too sick to drive? But not sick enough to work? Me is so confused.

And I said he has a history of being a mild hypochondriac.

innocent_bystander: I said they have 4 small kids and 1 12yr old, that = 5

Thanks Mrs.GH, I've known my friend long enough to call her family, so I guess I deserve to allow myself an occasional grumble w/ out feeling too guilty. I wish I were saint enough to say it doesn't feel good to grumble and vent a bit. But I do feel better now.

This reminds me, Persephone Mrs. Wedge will be working this evening and I don't feel too good. Can you come over and watch little Ms. Wedge until 8:00 or so.

Can I really?! My best friend's kids can be monsters. (She even says so.) Watching your little would be refreshing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:30:45 PM EST

A quick review of my notes indicates that men are sometimes not fully rational, either....

All research needs funding.. send money for beer, or what not.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:50:50 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:01:08 PM EST
Men are horrible when they really are sick! They turn into drooling globs of nothingness and sometimes they can't even wipe their own asses.

Also, men never go to the doctor until the sickness has put them on their death bed...I think it goes back to the whole "turn your head and cough" thing when they grew up...

I would say, ride out the storm. If it continues, become unavailable. We will still respect you even if you did go out of your way for someone who didn't really deserve it, and it shows what a truly wonderful person you are
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:07:09 PM EST
No; if anyone is a sucker it would have to be his wife. You did a good deed by watching the kids until she returned.

Too sick to drive but unable to work? That would depend on the job and his duties. If he felt he was too sick to drive just look at it this way - maybe he was not feeling well enough to operate a vehicle safely and you may have saved an innocent life today. However, if his job is operating machineryor requires critical thinking, then he was just BSing.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:19:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By SigZiggy:
Men are horrible when they really are sick! They turn into drooling globs of nothingness and sometimes they can't even wipe their own asses.

Also, men never go to the doctor until the sickness has put them on their death bed...I think it goes back to the whole "turn your head and cough" thing when they grew up...

I would say, ride out the storm. If it continues, become unavailable. We will still respect you even if you did go out of your way for someone who didn't really deserve it, and it shows what a truly wonderful person you are

What she said! My "Best" friend just stole my SS# and let her husband run up $1000. cable bill and other shit. Her baby was my God son, I even let that bitch shoot my guns! Just ask yourself if it always YOU doing for HER? If not, then you did a nice thing and I am glad you are on my planet.
I mean our planet
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:14:46 PM EST

...I think it goes back to the whole "turn your head and cough" thing when they grew up...

Hey! Some of us like that part.

You are not a sucker. Sounds like there are a few (or more) missing pieces to this story. Was he taking medication for his "illness" that precluding him from working, but would allow him to look busy in a cubicle? Was it a drunkeness thing (as some have mentioned)? Could it be that he got a ride home from a bar last night and by this morning his car had been towed?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:24:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/21/2004 7:24:38 PM EST by bvmjethead]

Or the whole finger up the butt thing....

bvmjethead has never (since coming out of diapers) not wiped his own butt.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:52:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bucko:
You are not a sucker. Sounds like there are a few (or more) missing pieces to this story. Was he taking medication for his "illness" that precluding him from working, but would allow him to look busy in a cubicle? Was it a drunkeness thing (as some have mentioned)? Could it be that he got a ride home from a bar last night and by this morning his car had been towed?

You can find the answer to these questions and more from my previous posts. No meds, heck no dr appt, no tow, no drunk (I don't think - it would really piss me off to find out that was the case!! If it was, I hope I never find out!) And for the job: not much physical work, but it is heavy on the critical thinking skills - editing for technical and grammatical accuracy.

But it's all good - I'm over it. The more I think about it, the more I'm pretty sure this was a bunch of bs. BUT, that's neither here nor there - it's between hubby and wife to sort out the crap, and either I'm going to help w/ the kids or I'm not. After that, I guess it's really not my business.

It did feel good to vent for a moment, thanks for humoring me and listening to my bs. LOL.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:02:44 AM EST

Not me. I go to work in order to share the germs that someone else gave me through their kids picking it up from school. Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:47:30 AM EST
I have been too sick to drive and to sick to work once BUT I HAD TO GO IN and at least bring my boss up to date on the project. My girlfriend waited in the car for about 1 hour then she drove me to the Doc's and then home.

If he doesnt go see a doc that would tell me something.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:34:31 AM EST

You can find the answer to these questions and more from my previous posts. No meds, heck no dr appt, no tow, no drunk (I don't think - it would really piss me off to find out that was the case!! If it was, I hope I never find out!)

Believe me, I am one of the people who reads every post in a thread so I don't 'say' something that I think is brilliant when 4 other people have already said it.

These "answers" are only true to your knowledge. I was theorizing possiblities that he and she may not have divulged to you.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:16:47 AM EST
Doh, thanks for 'splainin'

"I see" said the blind man to his deaf wife.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:10:46 PM EST

Doh, thanks for 'splainin'

NP. Kind of a pet peeve of mine - people who only read the first and then post. Many of my clever responses have been stolen from me because someone got to a thread before me.

"I see" said the blind man to his deaf wife.

I've never seen the "deaf wife." part of that saying.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:25:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2004 1:31:18 PM EST by Pecos]
Your friend has concocted a story to get you to cover for her so that she could not only be away from her responsibilities vis a vis her chlindren, BUT ALSO be away from the physical premises of her residence. Whatever the actual reason was, it was such that she obviously felt she could not be candid with you about it...hence "the dog ate my homeworkish" excuse. To determine what is really up with her, express your concern to her husband relative to his illness in her presence. Watch both of them while you ask your questions. IF she was scamming you so that she could be with someone "else" it will be readily apparant. If it appears that indeed she was with her hubby, a worried glance between the two of them would indicate that the ridiculous story is probably NOT true and that something else may have been going on...maybe a little get together to to put some spice back in their life. If, after you use this little ruse, it appears the story is true you then know that the guy is a nut and she is too for putting up with his "issues"... If you are so sick that you have to get someone else to drive you a lousy 20 miles, they are either going to drive you home or to a emergency room.
My guess? She has a boyfriend.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:13:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2004 8:14:26 PM EST by Green_Ammo_223]
Sorry off topic. Bucko, that quote you have over your avatar just kills me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:42:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2004 9:42:59 PM EST by Bucko]

Originally Posted By Green_Ammo_223:
Sorry off topic. Bucko, that quote you have over your avatar just kills me.

Thanks. As much as I'd like to take credit for it I can't; Crazy Joe Divola (sp?) said it to Elaine in an episode of Seinfeld. If you haven't seen it I can explain it if you like.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:12:17 PM EST
Ever hear the saying :

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished ??

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:19:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By Aimless:
I guess it doesn't really matter, you were in kind of a spot, regardless of the BSness of the story she's your friend and calling on it probably wasn't the right thing to do and her little ones needed you.

VERY VERY TRUE! But does it make me a bad friend if I grumble about it just a teeny bit?

Short answer, NO. Also remember, no one can make you a 'Sucker' but YOU.....
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:18:03 PM EST
I have been too drunk to drive but fine for work....

I have also been too ill to drive but I could work in a limited fashion.
( recovering from surgery, could barely walk or stand but I did find as long as I was seated)
Top Top