Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/31/2005 1:52:54 AM EDT
Just wondering if the storm did damage that far north of the coast. I'm not one for TV so I don't know much about what's going on, all the info I've gotten has been in the last hour or so.

Digital
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:54:51 AM EDT
All I know is that they did get some pretty stiff winds and rain. But all the focus is on New Orleans, Slidell, Biloxi and Gulfport. So I assume any damage up in Baton Rouge was far less than along the coastal areas.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:58:41 AM EDT
Mostly wind damage I think.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:00:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 3:01:28 AM EDT by keving67]
My little brother is in Baton Rouge at LSU and he said all they got was some bad wind and a decent amount of rain (less than 8")

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:56:31 AM EDT
I'm in Baton Rouge and we were extremely lucky. We had strong winds and some rain, though not as much as I thought we would. The power was out for about 9 hours which is nothing compared to what it could have been. Hurricane Andrew hit us with much more force and left us without power for 6 days so this was a cakewalk for my family, anyway. The neighborhood I live in is on the north side of Baton Rouge. There were a few trees either downed or broken off, with only one doing much damage to a home. Driving into a couple of other neighborhoods showed much the same. Limbs and leaves everywhere but no much damage.

Baton Rouge has a large numer of traffic signals out so travelling on city streets is problematic. I believe there are 70,000 people w/o power here but that may be much less by now. Shelters are open throughout the city and they are rapidly filling.

Jim
thebaldavenger

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:04:12 AM EDT
Well, that's some good news, actually. I have an aunt and uncle in BR who I haven't been able to get in touch with yet.
Top Top