Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2005 1:52:54 AM EDT
Just wondering if the storm did damage that far north of the coast.  I'm not one for TV so I don't know much about what's going on, all the info I've gotten has been in the last hour or so.

Digital
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:54:51 AM EDT
[#1]
All I know is that they did get some pretty stiff winds and rain. But all the focus is on New Orleans, Slidell, Biloxi and Gulfport. So I assume any damage up in Baton Rouge was far less than along the coastal areas.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:58:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Mostly wind damage I think.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:00:50 AM EDT
[#3]
My little brother is in Baton Rouge at LSU and he said all they got was some bad wind and a decent amount of rain (less than 8")

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:56:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in Baton Rouge and we were extremely lucky. We had strong winds and some rain, though not as much as I thought we would. The power was out for about 9 hours which is nothing compared to what it could have been. Hurricane Andrew hit us with much more force and left us without power for 6 days so this was a cakewalk for my family, anyway. The neighborhood I live in is on the north side of Baton Rouge. There were a few trees either downed or broken off, with only one doing much damage to a home. Driving into a couple of other neighborhoods showed much the same. Limbs and leaves everywhere but no much damage.

Baton Rouge has a large numer of traffic signals out so travelling on city streets is problematic. I believe there are 70,000 people w/o power here but that may be much less by now. Shelters are open throughout the city and they are rapidly filling.

Jim
thebaldavenger

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:04:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, that's some good news, actually. I have an aunt and uncle in BR who I haven't been able to get in touch with yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top