Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2003 9:23:36 AM EDT
I responded to an ad on a gun site which read in part,"...mint condition with mint scope and extra mags. Pics available on request."

The following email communication recently took place between me and the seller.

ME: Do you still have the factory box? Can you tell me how many mags of what capacitiy, and which manufacturer? Also, please email me pics. Thanks.

RESPONSE: Are you interested in buying the gun?

ME: Yes, if the asnwers to my questions are in line with I am looking for. Please email pics and info on mags. Thanks.

RESPONSE: I don't have the factory box any more.

ME: How about the pics and mag info?

RESPONSE: I don't have any pics right now, but will throw in two extra mags if you buy it.

ME: Thank you, but I've changed my mind!!!

Why do I get the impression that all was not on the up and up?

Ever happen to you?

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#1]
definatly some red flags there..
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#2]
You shouldn't have to pull teeth to buy something.  The buy should come easily, if it doesn't, move on until it does....
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't stand people like that... even if they are honest buyers/sellers.  It happens to me all the time when I'm buying or selling stuff online.  I ask questions about what they have, seller replys with about a half sentence that almost answers one question [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I responded to an ad on a gun site which read in part,"...mint condition with mint scope and extra mags. Pics available on request."
The following email communication recently took place between me and the seller.
ME: Do you still have the factory box? Can you tell me how many mags of what capacitiy, and which manufacturer? Also, please email me pics. Thanks.
RESPONSE: Are you interested in buying the gun?
ME: Yes, if the asnwers to my questions are in line with I am looking for. Please email pics and info on mags. Thanks.
RESPONSE: I don't have the factory box any more.
ME: How about the pics and mag info?
RESPONSE: I don't have any pics right now, but will throw in two extra mags if you buy it.
ME: Thank you, but I've changed my mind!!!
Why do I get the impression that all was not on the up and up?
Ever happen to you?
View Quote

Red flags and/or massive stupidity on his part.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Reply to your post available on request.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#6]
It's reverse psychology.

j/k

Internet gun deals shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 emails to confirm and send payment.

email#1) still have xyz for sale and can you send pic?
email#2)yes.it is still for sale.pics sent.
email#3 got the pics.send payment instructions and ffl info.
email#4 got xyz.I love it.Thanks.Will leave feedback at xyz.com

I have done quite a few deals over the net and they shouldn't be so painful or aggravating.

I don't get it when people drag deals on for 20 emails.

If you're gonna sell something, sell it.If you want to play games go back to the playground.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You shouldn't have to pull teeth to buy something.  The buy should come easily, if it doesn't, move on until it does....
View Quote

When you deal with some of the good folks here at AR15.com, transactions run smoothly, right Ed?  [:)]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

When you deal with some of the good folks here at AR15.com, transactions run smoothly, right Ed?  [:)]
View Quote

Until UPS almost screws it up.

[:)]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Be careful, I got KYed by some POS from Mansfield,OH for 6K over the internet off the Sturmgeweher board. Luckily I had enough evidence and the postal inspector was able to prosecute him for theft through deception. Luckily I got everything paid back.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#11]
If he didn't answer any of your first four questions then that should tell you right there somethings not right. If I'm selling I answer all and then some. If you don't buy no big deal. Needed to be done anyways. I can cut and paste for the next prospective buyer.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#12]

The goddamned photos (along with detailed descriptions) should be a requirement!  By the first email response to the buyer, seller should be giving out phone number and mailing address.

Seller should make every effort to make the buyer comfortable enough to send his money to someone he does not know. Put yourself in the buyer's shoes..

I've sold three through the internet and will go out of my way to make the buyer feel secure. It's just an honor and integrity kind of thing.

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Definately bad juju. The only time I got burnt on an i'net purchase was in a similar exchange between the seller. I felt bad juju and I should have trusted my gut. Hope you did the same.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#14]
[b]stemcell[/b]:

I've been thinking about your problem, and I've decided that the entire incident is completely your fault.

1) You didn't immediately contact the seller to tell him that you can get one twice as nice for half the cost at Wal*Mart.

2) You didn't inform the seller that the scope is a piece of junk, and you're doing him a favor by even taking it.

3) You didn't inform the seller that your second cousin's next-door neighbor's babysitter's ex-husband's brother-in-law's dog groomer was a Delta SEAL Sniper Force Recon Corporal-Captain and used one just like that against the Krauts in DaNang in 1954, so you already know all about the gun anyway.

4) You didn't offer to trade some obscure piece of nothing that even you don't want for the gun.

5) You didn't use the magic phrase "cash money" when making your offer. That's how buyers know your for real. Of course, when it comes time to make the deal, put it on a credit card.

6) You didn't ask, "What's your bottom dollar?" followed immediately by, "Will you take less than that?"

You see, you broke several rules of engagement for a sucessful firearms transaction. I'm sure you caught the seller off guard by being upfront and honest. Hope you've learned your lesson.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[b]stemcell[/b]:

I've been thinking about your problem, and I've decided that the entire incident is completely your fault.

1) You didn't immediately contact the seller to tell him that you can get one twice as nice for half the cost at Wal*Mart.

2) You didn't inform the seller that the scope is a piece of junk, and you're doing him a favor by even taking it.

3) You didn't inform the seller that your second cousin's next-door neighbor's babysitter's ex-husband's brother-in-law's dog groomer was a Delta SEAL Sniper Force Recon Corporal-Captain and used one just like that against the Krauts in DaNang in 1954, so you already know all about the gun anyway.

4) You didn't offer to trade some obscure piece of nothing that even you don't want for the gun.

5) You didn't use the magic phrase "cash money" when making your offer. That's how buyers know your for real. Of course, when it comes time to make the deal, put it on a credit card.

6) You didn't ask, "What's your bottom dollar?" followed immediately by, "Will you take less than that?"

You see, you broke several rules of engagement for a sucessful firearms transaction. I'm sure you caught the seller off guard by being upfront and honest. Hope you've learned your lesson.
View Quote

You are right! I could learn much by sitting at the feet of you, the MASTER!!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[b]stemcell[/b]:

View Quote

So YOUR the f***ing guy.

I told ya I'd find ya you SOB.

I'm coming over there right now. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top