Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2002 3:19:55 PM EDT
Hi,
I'm currently in the Marines (3 yrs left), 21, wife and 3 month old son; and I'm looking at a possible future as a LEO. I was wanting to know where I might be able to get some general information about what exaclty is it you all do. What degrees/education I might want to look at (both strictly for LE and as a "fallback"). And, of course, all of your opinions on what you think would be best.

Thanks,
Nismofun
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#1]
i can tell you, at least an associate's degree (or some college to start) is your best bet.  mostsmaller depts. are starting to require it.  in MI, most of the smaller(less than 100 officer) depts require a bachelor degree.  if it's not a requirement, you'll need it later for any advancement.  trying to get your degree while on the job sucks ass, i know.  also try to diversify yourself before applying like getting an EMT or Paramedic license or Fire 1&2 classes can help, anything to distinguish yourself.
good luck, it's the best job in the world.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, find a local department in your area/the area you want to settle in and do some ride-a-longs.  This is the best way to get a handle on what LE involves day-to-day.   A degree (preferably 4-year, but 2-year is better then nothing) in just about any field is probably a good start.  Most people with degrees in my area have either Sociology or Psychology degrees.  Some EMT training/certification is also a good idea, and any other specialized training you can get.  Ideally, with a civilian certification.
dp
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top