Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 9:10:42 PM EDT

I'll leave the link cold, although it doesn't really matter.

http://www.hamegg.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=113077&forum=3&start=0

A discussion about the AWB on a golf forum.  FWIW, you have to register to view the forum.  They do not accept free email addy's (i.e. Yahoo, Hotmail, etc).

The main antagonist in the thread is a guy named Clubwerks.  Former Marine.  Likes to talk all tough.

He doesn't think anyone "needs" an AR.  Or a magazine with a capacity of more than 6 rounds.

Y'all play nice now, ya hear?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Some assorted quotes from the thread...

Did it ever occur to you that OUR MILITARY doesn't even keep their weapons "at the ready." Hell, four of my neighbors are Marines, if they want to get their weapons, they've got to go to base and get them from the armory. Why should you, an average citizen, be afforded more liberties with your weapon than a professional soldier?

I want to clarify my position. I'm anti-gun in that I believe that the average Joe should not own a gun. I firmly believe that the chances are much more likely that somebody will be killed or injured, unintentionally, than he will use it to ward off an intruder. I'm not anti-gun in that I think guns should be illegal to own.

I think that assault weapons should be banned for all private citizens simply because I don't believe that you need an assault weapon to protect yourself or kill some food.

I think the founding fathers were meaning like muskets, not Uzi's. I mean, muskets were good enough to protect your home from intruders when they wrote the Constitution, what's changed? Get yourself a 30-06 and go kill an Elk and protect your home, I could care less. You don't need an AK-47 to protect yourself.

I use the shark bite test for things like this. Anything that is more common than a shark bite is my reference for concern. My SIL puts a lock on her toilet bowl so that her 2 year old won't drown in the toilet. When was the last time you heard of a 2 year old drowning in the toilet? I'm 38 years old and I've never heard of it happening to anyone. Therefore I can conclude that it's of no concern to me. When was the last time that somebody you knew had a marauding group of intruders, armed with automatic weapons break into their house and hold them at gunpoint? I'm going with never. I've heard of it happening, maybe once. I've seen it on TV many times. It's not my utmost concern. I likely, as do you, have a greater chance of being killed in my home by my wife than by an armed villian with an MP5.

I'm anti-gun. That's my personal position. It does not include wanting to take guns away from you. If people want to own a gun to hunt or because it makes them feel safer, more power to them, but don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. You don't need an assault rifle to protect yourself or hunt.

I agree. I don't support that weak gun law. Any law that allows some assault weapons onto the streets is a weak law. Personally, I would like to see them make ALL assault style weapons available to military and law enforcement only. Possession or use in a crime would be a huge, Federal offense punishable by a sentence with mandatory sentencing guidelines along the lines of 10 years for a first offense, life for a second offense and life for a continuing enterprise of distribution regardless of number of offense.

Unfortunately, since some (most) semi automatic assault style weapons are compact and have available large capacity magazines, it makes them inherently more well suited for use by criminals committing crimes. As much as I hate to throw the baby out with the bathwater, if we can't decide which assault weapons are the really good assault weapons and which are not, they all need to be banned for ownership by private citizens.

This is the piss on my leg part. Don't tell me you need an assault weapon. You don't need an AK-47, you want an AK-47. You, yourself, already stated that you can use your Browning 30-06 just as effectively. Problem solved. You don't need an assault weapon. You don't need to be assaulting anything.

I don't blame you for being scared. Truth is, it's probably not far off. Personally, I'd much rather see handguns banned than assault weapons, but we know that ain't gonna happen.

I'll share a little story with you. I've had a gun pointed at me three times in my life . I've pointed a gun at another person(s) twice. All of these incidents involved handguns. I'm anti-gun now because seven years ago, my wife convinced me that if I didn't get rid of my gun, I'd be dead or in jail. She was probably right, damn know it all.

And yes, this guy voted for Gore.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Well that guy doesnt need to play golf, he just wants to play golf.  And it is proven that to build a golf course you need to cut down trees and that is not good for the enviroment. So therefor it is my personal opinion that golf should be illegal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#3]
BTW, IM me if you don't want to/can't register.  I'll slip you my username/password.  Just don't make any posts under it as I don't want to get banned there.

I have to monitor the place for other reasons...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I cant even go to skydiving forums and argue because my head wants to explode. I pop in every now and then but I find it too stressful. I cant take any more stress right now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I cant even go to skydiving forums and argue because my head wants to explode. I pop in every now and then but I find it too stressful. I cant take any more stress right now.

Don't go there then.  The place is run by San Fran libs.  Even the supposed pro-gun folk in that thread support "reasonable restrictions".

Pisses me off just thinking about the place.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#6]
just for that i'm going to honk my horn at the golfers the next time i go to the shooting range.
golf is fucking gay IMO.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Shark bite test?  WTF?  Now that's some sound logic.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#8]

I'll share a little story with you. I've had a gun pointed at me three times in my life . I've pointed a gun at another person(s) twice. All of these incidents involved handguns. I'm anti-gun now because seven years ago, my wife convinced me that if I didn't get rid of my gun, I'd be dead or in jail. She was probably right, damn know it all.

He's an idiot and cannot control his temper and should NOT own a gun.  If he is unable to control his temper, he's the kind of person you must own a firearm to defend against.

And yes, this guy voted for Gore.  

Did I mention he was an idiot?

I also think that the military having their military firearms on the base is ENTIRELY appropriate (especially so, in the context of our founding father's prescriptions against a standing army).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top