Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2004 8:54:12 PM EDT
I am wondering what gun I should buy.  I know there is a lot of crap out there.  Please help!
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 4:33:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm selling a Tippman 98 Custom.  IM me if you are interested.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/6/2004 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#2]
 I have paintballed for 5 years, and work at a local paintball field. The tippmann 98 custom is one of the most if not the most reliable gun in the game of paintball today.

Justin
Link Posted: 3/8/2004 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Go with the Tippmann. Great gun
Link Posted: 3/11/2004 2:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Tippmanns are good if you have a low budget. If you want to spend more $$, you might want to look into an AGD E-mag. It has both Electric and manual firing modes, so if the electronics go down, you can still use the gun. AGD guns are well made, reliable, and easy to fix. Rock N Roll out of the box. (Rock n Roll..after you add a compressed air system and paint also)
Link Posted: 3/15/2004 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
It will also depend on where you plan on playing.  If your woodsballing with your budies, you may want to spring for an electo gun, but if you're mainly going to play at paintball fields, you may want to stick with semi auto stuff because most fields only let you use semi auto.  The Tippy 98 is a good gun, but if you want to spend less, you can pick up a Kingman Spyder(Yeah, people may cut up on them, but they're like the Ruger of the paintball guns).
Link Posted: 3/22/2004 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#6]
You really have to let us know how much you want to spend.

I'm going to assume you are looking for a nice low to mid-range quality paintball gun.

First, stay away from the Brass Eagle markers sold at Wal-Mart. They are cheap and you get what you pay for.

Currently, I'm using an X-valved, Y-gripped, ULE-bodied, ULTriggered Mag. I also have a 2002 vert-feed 'cocker (Freeflow front-end) as my backup. (Rereading this, I guess that sounds kind-of confusing. Sorry.)

My recommendation, would be either a Tippmann 98 Custom or a Tippman A5. The A5 is relatively new, and it making a large impact in the rec-ball/scenario game world of paintball. The A5 is nice as it has an integrated "cyclone feed system" which will eliminate the need for a motorized hopper.(Check out "Scenario Games", they are a blast.)

If you don't like the Tippmann line, go with AGD. Their reliability is on par with the best and a "Classic 68" can be had for around $225. Upgrade potential is excellent, so you can upgrade your marker as your game evolves.

You can easliy spend $1000 (plus) on a Ebladed 'Cocker, '03 Shocker, Angel, DM4, Excalibur, etc... but is not necessary. Electronic guns will give you a faster, mouse-click light trigger, but are also succeptible to bad weather because of the electronics. Personally, I'd recommend sticking with a true "mechanical" marker.

Remember, you still need to get a mask. Don't skimp on this. Trust me, you want to get thermal (non-fogging) lenses. These can be had for as little as $30.

Just for fun:
Tippmann A5/RT: $275
JT Mask - Thermal - $45
CO2 tank - 20 oz. - $25
misc., pods, squeegies,.etc - $25

Check eBay, for even better prices.

There are countless online resources to get you where you need to be information-wise.
Link Posted: 3/22/2004 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/26/2004 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 I have paintballed for 5 years, and work at a local paintball field. The tippmann 98 custom is one of the most if not the most reliable gun in the game of paintball today.

Justin
View Quote

Yep.

The 98 Custom is the AK47 of paintball.

My uncle and I operate a field and have done so for 4 years.  We have seen every gun you can name and NONE are as reliable as the Tippmann 98 Custom.  Here recently, my uncle has started using a Tippmann Pro Carbine since he doesn't upgrade.  The PC seems to have better accuracy and hasn't chopped a ball yet (about 8,000 balls so far).  I shoot an A5 now, which is also a great marker.  My A5 hasn't chopped a ball in over 10,000 balls but it is a gas hog.  You will only get about 600 shots out of a 20oz. CO2 tank.  The marker uses air to power the cyclone feed system.

Reactive triggers are a waste of money in my opinion.  Most upgrades on the market are a waste.  The only upgrades you will need for a 98 Custom are a Revolution hopper and a good barrel.  The DYE Boomstick is a fine barrel, but it is pretty expensive.  The Armson Stealth is also an excellent barrel and runs about $45 last time I checked.

Generally, the more the marker costs, the more time you will spend "tuning" it.  In other words, the expensive markers will be a pain in the ass... constantly.  You'll spend a lot of your time breaking the thing down and trying to get it to work right.  The reason you see the $1500 markers in tournament play is mainly because they either have back-up markers or they have airsmiths they can hand their marker to after every match to make sure it will work ok.

If you live in a state with a lot of humidity, you will not be able to find a mask that does not fog.  Thermal lenses only work in some climates.  Here in MS, nothing is fog-proof.  We remedied the fog problem by designing our own fans using components from Radio Shack.  The fan costs $25 to install and is whisper quiet.  The mask fans on the market now are expensive and loud as hell.  It will sound like you have a big pissed off bee in your mask.  With the fans we designed, you can hardly tell it is running and I have NEVER had fogging problems.

Any questions anyone may have, you can IM me or send an email and I will be more than happy to help you out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2004 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#9]
WELL PAINTBALL EH?
First you need to consider how much you want to spend on a Marker, Tank, Mask, and anything else if you want to spend like
$80-90 get a Spyder compact
$130 Tippmann Model 98 (dependable)
$200 An electronic Spyder
$260 Indian Creek Designs BKO

If you plan to spend more than that on your marker PM me and ill tell you about the high dollar markers i would get a 12oz or 20oz Co2 tank and dont buy a cheap mask because paintballs WILL TAKE YOUR EYE OUT. JT,SCOTT, and V-Force make good affordable masks

For more info go to PAINTBALL.COM   and go to the fourms there
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#10]
You can also check out what people think at PBReview.com    Keep in mind though, that these reviews are written by people who have those products, and people tend to think that whatever they spent their money on is the greatest thing in the world.
Link Posted: 4/11/2004 12:05:07 AM EDT
[#11]
You might want to get into airsoft.its more realistic. I got me a m16 for 300.00

Its the exact same size as the real gun. Its also good to practice tactical mag changes.

Here are some sites I goto

[url]http://www.combatenterprises.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.cimmerians.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 4/13/2004 1:17:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I still use my old Brass Eagle Nightmare 68 long barrel, but if i were buying a new one, I particularely like the Tippman. They have traditionally been great markers.
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#13]
ive said it b4 and ill say it again...tipmans are reliable..but youll never see one in a tourny. go with a spyder e99 or sumthin with a 12 or 14" barrel if your on a low budget. if not go to this page           http://www.actionvillage.com/paintball-guns-worrgames-paintball-guns.html
and check out the worrgame autocockers....they start at about $299. thats a hell of a maker for the money. that extra $100 over the spyders or tipmans are WELL worth it
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Paintball is the most expensive hobby I have ever had, other than maybe a few visits to Cabera Royal.

Be prepared to spend big bucks, Start out with a cheap marker like the Spyder suggested above, There are more Spyder acessories than any other manufacturer, They do brake down more often than the durable Tippmans. But they are easily repaired do to simplicity of mechanism (Spyders).
I have been out of the Paintball loop for about 2 yrs. I still have a E-99 and its sweet, Full auto, 3 shot burst and Hair trigger Semi.

You can get a new Spyder with basic configurations and just add the E-grip later, Just get the vertical feed model and later you will need a Revolution or mechanized View Loader. The E-grip is a Electronic grip that basically pulls the trigger for you,(available for Tippmans) NO mechanics to have to pull through and of course the volume fire option, SOme have selectors in push button and some use dip switches (like the E-99)

A true Electric Paintball gun is fired and the entire bolt assembly and all are dictated by a highly customizable computer.

Find a paintball forum I am sure there are lots of them. Just dont let those guys Talk you into $800 Auto cockers and $1200 Angels, I have played in some Rookie league "Speed Ball" Tournaments and got 3rd place Twice and once we Got 1st. All with out a expiensive gun.

Tippmans are better probably for Woodland Type play. But Speed Ball is the funnest game.

weeew that was a mouthful
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#15]
IMHO woodsball is not expensive at all.  My cost for a day of woodsball ( no Fees ) is $5.00 for air. I have a big 92 ci tank that lasts 1300 to 1500 rnds.  $30.00 for paint -- about 1300 rnds. Thats shooting alot of paint,  most of the time its more like 900 rnds. And thats for about  6 hours out there, which is enough for me. Spend $265 for the A5, $ 50.00 for pods, harness, knee pads, $40.00 for a good V force mask( the Sheild). If HP air then - $220(92/4500 psi crossfire fiberwrapped) $30.00 for the remote ( If you like the remote air line) . Get some cammo BDU's and that should do it.  after initial outlay for equipment, it should cost about $40.00 with lunch included for a fun afternoon. Whereas my loaded AR15 with all good stuff went for over $2000. And shooting that costs around $50.00 for the afternoon with Lake city m193 at around 200 rnds I guess. Not including range fees where I go. P.S.  Woodsball is the funnest
Link Posted: 5/21/2004 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#16]
tippman 98 best way to go
Link Posted: 5/22/2004 10:54:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Screw the marker...Get the best damn mask you can afford first.
Eyes can not be replaced.
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Screw the marker...Get the best damn mask you can afford first.
Eyes can not be replaced.

Too true, eyes can't be replaced, but also a cheap mask fogs easily. I have a DYE mask I really don't care what marker I am playing with as long as I have my mask. I will be playing my buds (who all have crumy Brass Eagle masks and JT masks) and you can hear out in the field saying "My lenses are foggy I can't see, Call the game off for a second" That is irratating and dangerous. When your mask starts fogging and you don't really want to stop playing, you might be a fool and decide, hey I will be quick sneaky and give it a quick whipe down with your shirt, and about that time you get popped right in the eye. Damn thats gotta hurt. Buy the best mask is excellent advise.....

I would say 7 out of 10 times you will take a hit in either your gun/viewloader or your mask. So you do also want something that is able to with stand at least 360 fps. (most parks call for 280 around here and this can fluctuate in changing weather and propellent used) Some masks don't  protect your ear and throat area (and yes I know they both hurt like hell when hit) My mask doesn't cover my throat, but you can buy a throught protector seperatly.

Look at DYEs masks, mine never fogs, There is also an "Anti-fog" solution you can put on cheaper masks, but it doesn't work and can damage some masks like my DYE. (it has some kinda chemical film and they say to use water only and don't scrub.

All this talk about paintball I think I am going to the PB park this Memorial day. Haven't played in ages.

Edited to say:
There will also be days that you wished you had wore a cup? Mega pain!

Link Posted: 5/30/2004 4:52:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Any Tippmann will do, very durable.

Edited to say:
There will also be days that you wished you had wore a cup? Mega pain!

How true wear a cup, your future may depend on it.he
RF
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's a good general breakdown for you.
A mechanical gun is going to be cheaper.  They are great for beginners to play around the house, woods ball, and rec. ball @ a speedball field.  Good accuracy and very reliable.  They tend to last a long time and need little maintenance.
Electronic guns tend are more expensive.  They are great for more advanced rec. balling and for high-speed or close quarter’s scenarios and tournament play.  Accuracy is outstanding and the rate of fire is awesome.  They do need more maintenance to maintain.
The best thing I can recommend is to simply go play a few times and talk to others @ a paintball field or forum.  It's totally up to what you want to do with your gun.  I play on 2 teams and play both local tourneys and CFOA now and will be going to PSP next year.  I would recommend a Spyder E-99 or Icon for a first gun.  It's fairly inexpensive, good speed and barrel upgrades are available, and easy to maintain.  I had one for about 8 months as my first gun and loved it.  I sold it to buy an Angel LCD and then bought a Matrix LCD.  The Matrix is about the best gun I've seen on the market, but it's expensive and it has to be tuned in regularly to get the best performance.  It's also a little heavy, especially for smaller players.  The major downside is the money for a NEW Matrix or Angel.  Both are $800.00 - $1300.00 new for different models, but you can find great used guns @ a really good deal.  Just look around.

Oh yeah, just to let you know...  Maintenance on electro guns is nothing to run from.  It doesn't take long to totally strip one, clean it, and grease/oil everything and put it back together.  It's about a 30 minute job on my Matrix if I'm watching TV while I do it!
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Tippmann Model 98.......or if you have alot of extra $$$ Tippmann A5 with E-grip
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I have both the (well had the) e-grip and (have) rt. I perfer the rt because it is all mechanical, no batteries to run down, and I can get way better ROF. I have two 98Cs and one A-5.

Any questions on them, check out the A5 Owners Group or email me.

A5OG

John

- My A5
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#23]
i'm about to get back into paintball after taking about 8 years off....i started playing when i was 11 when it was super expensive and nearly impossible to find fields....(and no internet to buy stuff on!).  i dusted off my old AGD Automag, and am in the process of getting that back up to speed (replacing all the valve seals and Orings,etc...), but i'm also really tempted just to get an A5 and keep it simple.  i guess it depends on how well my Mag runs....but i don't want to dump a bunch of money into it.  i skip all the electronic stuff, but it was pretty high-speed back in the day: Smart Parts Barrel (the original spiral ported), SP 8-hole valve mod, Air America Whispering Death Expansion Chamber, VL2000 (the original electric loader), some kind of modified power tube and on/off valve, ANS Venturi Bolt.
oh hell, i'll probably end up with both....
it will be nice now that i live in AZ and not michigan (although i'll miss woodsball...):  no mosquitos, no mask fogging, no liquid Co2 in the gun (too hot for that).  and year round play!
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Tag[[
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 3:29:36 AM EDT
[#25]
If you want to see what a tricked out Tippmann A-5 looks like, check this out. A-5 pics it has almost every configuration you could think of. Lots of pics
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:22:13 AM EDT
[#26]
If you decide to play scenario in the woods, go with a tippman A-5 with a flatline barrel! The barrel allows you to shoot farther than your opponents can, and once you get used to it you can even rotate your gun 90 degrees so you can manage to hit someone that is hiding behind a tree or bunker. The flatline throws a WICKED curve ball for sure!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#27]
If you play 5 years like me and start playing every weekend with the pros you could end up with one of these Yep my Ebladed orracle one of the dogs guns from last season.

Justin
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#28]
N Dawgs got there own Timmy now!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Yep but there not using them anymore they switched over to the n. dogs freestyle.

Justin
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:57:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
If you want to see what a tricked out Tippmann A-5 looks like, check this out. A-5 pics it has almost every configuration you could think of. Lots of pics

Whare did they get those fake magwell kits?
And whare the hell can I get one of these...

And one of these!!!

Thx for these pics...Think it's time to upgrade
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:53:57 AM EDT
[#31]
I am selling a  P90.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=91&t=223199&page=1

Quoted:
I am wondering what gun I should buy.  I know there is a lot of crap out there.  Please help!

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:35:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I am selling a  P90.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=91&t=223199&page=1

Quoted:

That's cool...But these are paint ball markers not airsoft.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:10:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I vote for the Tippmans as well
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:41:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Go with a Tippmann 98 Custom.  They are cheap but well built and have over enough mods if you decide to stick with it.  If you do not choose a Tippmann, you can select a Kingman Spyder of any particular brand that will do the same.  
I have a Tippmann 98 Custom with Viewloader Revy, and a couple of Dye Barrels for different gaming.  Again like I say, you can't go wrong.  PLus it looks good when you destroy an opposing team player who has some fancy Angel.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Add another vote for Tippmann.. either the 98c or A-5 depending on how much you want to spend..they are great beginer guns.

I have 3 guns/markers myself.

CCI Phantom, Tippmann 98c and a Angel.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/061157.JPG

Better pic of the Angel
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:15:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Tippmann produces a real rugged marker and thier models would be my first choice in woodland games and scenerios. But I like speed ball, so I have to go with Auto-Cocker, or on a cheaper budjet I would go with a E-marler from Spyder. Havent shot enough Angels to know if thier worth a damn.

Screw getting a good gun, get a good mask/goggles first. I have a Dye mask and its awesome.

HellioN,
That AK Tippmann A-5 is a trip, where did you get it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:50:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Tippmann Pro-Lite.  Hard to find anymore, discontinued.  IMO, you won't find a more reliable paintball gun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a tippman 98 and love it. My only complaint is it's pretty loud. Does anybody have any suggestions for a quiet and accurate barrel that could help cure the noise issue?

Jeff
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I use a Sl-68 from Tippman.  This gun kicks ass, after some work.  I had to replace a roll pin and then use the cement and a rock as a vise so i could bend the sear a little.  I take down my friends with their fancy semi autos all the time.  The only thing that sucks is I never get mutiple hits, takes to long to pump.  Get a remote for sure, coiled and don't worry about Wal Mart guns, they all work fine and the Brass Eagles are seriously fucking cool.  

My friend has one of the plastic ones BRas Eagle sells and it's totally fun to take apart and put back together, easy too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top