Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2012 3:09:35 PM EDT
Hey guys.... posted this in thye armory but have not gotten any response so I thought I would give the GD a go...
I'm going to be buying an M1A and I'm looking at two different models. I'm looking at either the Springfield MA9222 or the MA9822 models. Other than the barrels being different, what can you tell me about the rifle? Thanks in advance for the info!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
i'm still pretty new to the gun world so i dont think its my place to give you the details.  I can however tell you that i LOVE mine, it was my first gun and i got it less than a year ago and went with the 9826.

I LOVE the sadlak parts, installed the mag latch and spring rod myself, it was simple. The mags you want are CMI mags. (i like 44mag.com and they had a sweet promotion going when i got mine) i went with the 25 rounders and have not had 1 single issue.

I look forward to getting my SAGE kit and getting a JAE version in the future as well as 1 or 2 XS drum mags.... 6 lbs loaded
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
i'm still pretty new to the gun world so i dont think its my place to give you the details.  I can however tell you that i LOVE mine, it was my first gun and i got it less than a year ago and went with the 9826.

I LOVE the sadlak parts, installed the mag latch and spring rod myself, it was simple. The mags you want are CMI mags. (i like 44mag.com and they had a sweet promotion going when i got mine) i went with the 25 rounders and have not had 1 single issue.

I look forward to getting my SAGE kit and getting a JAE version in the future as well as 1 or 2 XS drum mags.... 6 lbs loaded

M1A for your very first gun?Bravo!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

M1A for your very first gun?Bravo!

thanks
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Find an older used one with all USGI parts.

CP
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#5]
oh and 1 last thing.  I found that mountsplus.com has the best prices on accessories.  4/7 or 8 orders the item(s) were backorders or atleast temporarily out of stock so we wary of that. (even when it says in stock on their site)

http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Mounts/M14_M1A_ACCESSORIES.html

http://www.44mag.com/category/m1a_m14_magazines_usgi

see 44mag has free shipping right now! great place IMO
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine is similar to a MA9822, just with the green composite stock.

You probably know that the Loaded comes with the NM barrel, trigger, front sight and non-hooded rear sight.

It is a great rifle- very accurate on the bench for me.  After getting used to the iron sights, I wound up deciding to add an optic.  I went with the Sadlak steel mount and am very happy with it.  Put on a SWFA SS scope and rings and added a Turner sling, and it's always a pleasure to take it out to the range.  

Of course, adding all the stuff makes it a beast, so I want to get a SOCOM in the future, or return it to stock and slap the optics on a RRA LAR-308.  

+1 on the CMI (Checkmate) mags.  I picked up an armful of them and they have been great.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Scout and am very pleased with it.

Not sure which exact model number it is off the top of my head.

I used to own a SOCOM II and was pleased with that as well, but decided I liked the Scout better so I sold it.

Here's my Scout on the day I got it.  Now it has a Leupold Scout scope on it.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info.... anybody have any problems with theirs.... I'm also looking to get a leather sling for it... GI model... Where's a good place to get them?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Also... what can you tell me about the Springfield Armory Gen IV scope mount? Are there better out there?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Consider these:

Smith Enterprises

LRB
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#11]
wow bunch of M1A haters on this site huh? i was looking forward to checking this thread today and maybe learning a few things.....guess not.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
wow bunch of M1A haters on this site huh?

yes there are lol

Heres my M1A.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I have two LRB M25s and I am happy with them. I don't even consider any other brands. One is the tanker 18.5 medium weight the other has a heavy krieger barrel 22 in 1/11 twist.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
wow bunch of M1A haters on this site huh? i was looking forward to checking this thread today and maybe learning a few things.....guess not.

Don't be such a whiner. There is a large M1A section on the site chock full of info.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Just dropped papers on a CMP Service Grade Springfield.  Just waiting on FedEx now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

CP

This.

Seriously, price is typically the same or less than a new gun, and the quality is just better.

If buying new, buy LRB.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Also... what can you tell me about the Springfield Armory Gen IV scope mount? Are there better out there?

For a few bucks more, you can get the Sadlak aluminum mount.  The steel one is about $100 more, which I went with since I wanted to be sure it was a solid mount.  The Sadlak mounts very positively on the receiver.

For the sling, I'd look at the Turner slings.  They have a leather M1907 type that is probably what you are looking for.  I have the AWS type and love it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

CP

This.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#19]
LOVE mine.

It is a pre-ban Springfield M1A which I had rebuilt with all TRW parts.
I have the Smith scope mount (the Springfields suck) with Warne rings and a Nikon Monarch 3.3-10 Mil-Dot.

Bill
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top