Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 11:38:26 AM EDT
Want to Put Iran Out of Business? Here's How

Those attempting to pressure Iran by increasing "tensions" and thus the price of oil have it precisely backwards. The one sure way to fatally destabilize the Iranian theocracy is to adjust the demand and supply of oil so the price plummets (as it did in December 2008) to $25/barrel, and stays there for at least six months.

It has been estimated that the Iranian theocracy cannot fund its bloated bureaucracies, military and its welfare state if oil falls below around $40-$45/barrel. Drop oil to $25/barrel and keep it there, and the Iranian regime will implode, along with the Chavez regime in Venezuela.

Saber-rattling actually aids the Iranian regime by artificially injecting a "disruptive war" premium into the price of oil: they can make the same profits from fewer barrels of oil.

The way to put them out of business is drop the price of oil and restrict their sales by whatever means are available. They will be selling fewer barrels and getting less than production costs for those barrels. With no income, the regime will face the wrath of a people who have become dependent on the State for their sustenance and subsidized fuel.

How do you drop oil to $25/barrel? Easy: stop saber-rattling in the mideast and engineer a massive global recession with a side order of low-level trade war. Though you wouldn't know it from the high price of oil, the world is awash in oil; storage facilities are full, and production has actually increased a bit in North America.

Interesting idea!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a faster way.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Or...we could just drill for our own oil
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#3]
What we're doing now has the same effect.  The US and European powers aren't buying their oil.  So they're forced to sell it to the Chinese, who recognize they are in the buyer's market, and buy it at a steep discount.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#4]
That isn't a new idea, but it's a good one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Screw all of that, just nuke the fuckers and be done with it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:45:29 AM EDT
[#6]
canned sunshine is faster
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How would that affect Iran?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

What we're doing now has the same effect.  The US and European powers aren't buying their oil. So they're forced to sell it to the Chinese, who recognize they are in the buyer's market, and buy it at a steep discount.

China just announced that they are cutting in half the amount of oil they purchase from Iran. This will put a huge dent in Iran's economy, which relies almost exclusively on oil.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well, you what the response from the libs will be ... Even if we started drilling today, it would be several years before we would have producing wells. Of course they have been saying this for at least the last 15 years.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There's a faster way.

I've got a feeling your way is gonna take 10+ years.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Want to Put Iran Out of Business? Here's How

How do you drop oil to $25/barrel? Easy: stop saber-rattling in the mideast and engineer a massive global recession with a side order of low-level trade war. Though you wouldn't know it from the high price of oil, the world is awash in oil; storage facilities are full, and production has actually increased a bit in North America.

Interesting idea!

Ahahahahahaha!

That's how we'll do it! We're going to make one tiny country suck by making EVERYONE ON EARTH MISERABLE.

Fucking brilliant!

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, you what the response from the libs will be ... Even if we started drilling today, it would be several years before we would have producing wells. Of course they have been saying this for at least the last 15 years.

I read that same argument in an old magazine (Newsweek, maybe?).  I'm not sure how old it was, but it was congratulating President Carter.  It was funny b/c they said we wouldn't see any benefit for the next 4-5 years.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

How would that affect Iran?

Supply and demand. Every time we've threatened to get serious about drilling, they've pushed the price of oil down temporarily so that drilling wouldn't make the impact required to get everyone on board. Even the fucking idiots who voted for Obama would want to drill if gas was $10/gallon.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Why is it that anytime someone links to zerohedge, it is always something retarded?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#15]
What's sad is that in the summer of '09 Iranians who loved liberty tried to overthrow their dictators.  Obama had the remarkable opportunity to support them, and instead said nothing, and even gave his tacit support to a call for order.  That was the spark that would have resulted in a free Iran that many in that country crave.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#16]
How about just using SEAL teams to destroy their outflow pipes to any offshore offloading platforms ?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I think you'd stand a better chance of getting a Republican on the ballot that all of GD can get behind rather than that financial fantasy you're sharing with us there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There's a faster way.

Does it have anything to do with extreme heat and sand?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Well fuck me, I heard that Gasoline was the number one export from the USA.   I was wandering why we were still paying 3.50 a gallon.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well fuck me, I heard that Gasoline was the number one export from the USA.   I was wandering why we were still paying 3.50 a gallon.

Because a few thousand miles away people are willing to pay $7/gallon for it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
What we're doing now has the same effect.  The US and European powers aren't buying their oil. So they're forced to sell it to the Chinese, who recognize they are in the buyer's market, and buy it at a steep discount.

China just announced that they are cutting in half the amount of oil they purchase from Iran. This will put a huge dent in Iran's economy, which relies almost exclusively on oil.

They're just waiting until the EU embargos Iranian oil at the end of this month, as per yesterday's announcement and then the price will fall and China will get it at firesale prices.

Chris

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought all we had to do was for everyone to agree not to buy any gas next Tuesday.

Regime destabilization is virtually guaranteed to follow, and Big Oil will be brought to their knees.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#23]
The Norks are broke as fuck and are still a huge pain in the ass.  What makes you think that a broke Iran will be any less of a pain in the ass then they are now?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Norks are broke as fuck and are still a huge pain in the ass.  What makes you think that a broke Iran will be any less of a pain in the ass then they are now?

Because there's 5 to 10 million people willing to overthrow a broke government in Iran.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I would go along with this plan, in the form of drilling, conserving, using efficiently, and taxing petroleum consumption.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#27]
$25/bbl oil
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There's a faster way.

yup
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Dropping the price of oil to $25/barrel you say?  Stop saber-rattling you say?  Engineer a 'massive global recession' you say?  EASY!  

The most interesting question this garbage presents:  Where do people dig up this shit?  The DeVry University gazette?  Put down the bong champ, you've had enough.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

<Looks out the window, see's drilling rig>

So they aren't drilling?  Wow, they must like setting up rigs and moving employees here just for the fun of it.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because a few thousand miles away people are willing to pay $7/gallon for it.

Heard some farmers in a restaurant talking about that very thing. They thought the solution would be to pass a law so we couldn't export any gasoline. I wonder if they would support a law to outlaw exporting grain? After all, food prices have skyrocketed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What's sad is that in the summer of '09 Iranians who loved liberty tried to overthrow their dictators.  Obama had the remarkable opportunity to support them, and instead said nothing, and even gave his tacit support to a call for order.  That was the spark that would have resulted in a free Iran that many in that country crave.

And then supports uprisings in Egypt and Libya.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There's a faster way.

I'd personally prefer this way!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And then supports uprisings in Egypt and Libya.

Exactly.Our Manchurian candidate in chief only supports the overthrow of non threats.Douchebag.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

And the bulk of the Iranian people - unlike the other mid-east shit-holes where we actually intervened to "liberate" - are mostly deserving of liberty. For anyone who has traveled the ME, you would know that Iranian citizens are a fairly progressive, modern people (exceptions to any rule can be found, of course), who despise being under the thumb of uber-religious nutjob tyrants.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I would go along with this plan, in the form of drilling, conserving, using efficiently, and taxing petroleum consumption.

It is already taxed enough.  Governments that attempt to control the economy are abusive.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

<Looks out the window, see's drilling rig>

So they aren't drilling?  Wow, they must like setting up rigs and moving employees here just for the fun of it.

Don't you have something to do up there on the drilling floor?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#38]
"Submitted by Tyler Durden"

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#39]
We could invade them, crush them and pull out with no assistance in rebuilding. That would be neat.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Didn't work like that in the 80's when oil dropped to around $8.00 per barrel.

Twenty five dollar per barrel oil would pretty much end all domestic exploration and production and would cost a hell of a lot of jobs.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We could invade them, crush them and pull out with no assistance in rebuilding. That would be neat.

i like your idea best
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Screw all of that, just nuke the fuckers and be done with it.

yup wont need to deal with the assholes again in ten years!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top