Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2005 1:23:42 PM EDT
I'm thinking of getting a "serious" rifle next summer. The only rifle I have for hunting is my Winchester 94 (and the WASR-10, but meh). I don't have a bolt-action rifle, nor do I have anything for big game or long-range shooting.

I saw in Wal-Mart (no comments from the peanut gallery) yesterday that they were selling a Weatherby rifle (or at least, I assume it's a Weatherby since it had a sticker the length of the entire stock with WEATHERBY in bright bold print) chambered in .300 Weatherby Magnum for $388.

Does this sound like a good gun to grab for big-game/long-range shooting? I've heard plenty of good things about Weatherby rifles, and the caliber seems plenty powerful (I've got an empty case right next to the computer). Is it worth saving up for, or do you have another suggestion? Can you recommend a good scope for it? Bear in mind, I have an extremely limited budget and need to buy more magazines and ammunition for the WASR too. I went broke buying the AK and 200 rounds of ammunition, a third of which is already gone.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:29:05 PM EDT
[#1]
There are hundreds of cheap, ugly .30'06 push-feed Model 70's in the gun shops and pawn shops of this country. Most of 'em shoot like a banshee and will do about anything you need a rifle to do.

Samsi (patron saint of ugly ass push-feed Model 70's)
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#2]
If I wanted a .30-06, I'd borrow my dad's Remington 720 (and I like the rifle, it's got a hair trigger, dead accurate, and it just has CHARACTER).

I want a BIG gun. My dad just bought a .300 Winchester Magnum and my best friend's dad got a .300 Weatherby Magnum. Plus my dad already has a .264 Winchester Magnum. I want something I can hunt some serious game with, like elk, black bear, or blue helmeted- er, I mean, uh... Yeah.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Ammo isn't cheap if you are on a budget.What do you plan on hunting?

I agree with samsi on the 06-lots of ammo choices that run the spectrum as far as price and should cover you for what you want.

Good optics will set you back too.

ETA-D'OH...You were posting while I was typing.

Get the weatherby!!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If I wanted a .30-06, I'd borrow my dad's Remington 720 (and I like the rifle, it's got a hair trigger, dead accurate, and it just has CHARACTER).

I want a BIG gun. My dad just bought a .300 Winchester Magnum and my best friend's dad got a .300 Weatherby Magnum. Plus my dad already has a .264 Winchester Magnum. I want something I can hunt some serious game with, like elk, black bear, or blue helmeted- er, I mean, uh... Yeah.

OK, nevermind. The 700 Nitro thread is over that way.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The Walmart Weatherby is a rebadged Howa rifle.
Excellent rifle.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to own a Mk V in .300 weatherby magnum... notice I say "used to".

They're nice rifles, the caliber isn't so great IMO. You really don't gain anything over '06, just recoil, flash and velocity that doesn't really translate into more effectiveness on game at any even remotely reasonable range. It'll burn barrels fast, and they cost a fortune to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The Walmart Weatherby is a rebadged Howa rifle.
Excellent rifle. hr

All of the Vanguard actions are from Howa.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:58:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I want a BIG gun. My dad just bought a .300 Winchester Magnum and my best friend's dad got a .300 Weatherby Magnum.

Then by-god the .300 will fill your need! I sighted in a .300 Wby once for a friend of mine. Took about 20 rds to really get it where it needed to be & by then my shoulder was LONG past hurting & into the numb stage.

I knew right then, my AR-10 in 308 is all I'll ever need.

Yes, under $400 for a Weatherby is a good price. Almost guarantee you it's a Vanguard model, made by Howa, IIRC. Still a good gun though.

My .o2
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:33:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Doesn't Howa use all the factory equipment from Weatherby, just with their own stamps? Making them identical in quality?

Anybody got ballistics comparisons for .300 Wby Mag versus .30-06 and .300 Win Mag and suggestions for good hunting rounds?

I'm not worried about recoil. I'm the only one in the family who shoots the .45-70 anymore. Shooting that gun's almost as good as sex.

Heck, if you're standing next to the person shooting it, you can feel the shockwave THUD into your chest.

While I definitely appreciate a firearm of any caliber, I'm still of the "when in doubt, get a bigger gun" school. And I still need a bolt/big-game gun.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:04:32 AM EDT
[#10]
savage 110 bolt in either .30-06 or .300 winmag would be my choice. i think it may be the most accurate rifle i've ever shot out of the box. definitely one of the toughest!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:10:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Spend $70 and get you a russian moisin nagant rifle or carbine...talk about some recoil ...that carbine kicked the living crap outta my shoulder.

Then you can save all the money for lots and lots and lots of ammo.  Hey, if they were good enough for killing Germans over and over again...imagine they can kill a deer.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:15:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Unless you REALLY see yourself hunting Elk, Moose, etc. anytime in the near future, I'd say get a smaller caliber.

I am completely opposite of the train of thought that bigger calibers are better for the lowly Whitetail.  A poorly placed shot with a .338 will put a deer down no quicker than a poorly placed shot with a .243.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Spend $70 and get you a russian moisin nagant rifle or carbine...talk about some recoil ...that carbine kicked the living crap outta my shoulder.

Then you can save all the money for lots and lots and lots of ammo.  Hey, if they were good enough for killing Germans over and over again...imagine they can kill a deer.

7.62x54R is equivelent to .30-06. I plan on getting a Mosin-Nagant and a K-31 sometime soon, but eh. Maybe I'll get both of those this summer along with a CZ-52 and call it even.

Quoted:
Unless you REALLY see yourself hunting Elk, Moose, etc. anytime in the near future, I'd say get a smaller caliber.

I am completely opposite of the train of thought that bigger calibers are better for the lowly Whitetail.  A poorly placed shot with a .338 will put a deer down no quicker than a poorly placed shot with a .243.

I wouldn't shoot a whitetail with a massive gun simply because of all the wasted meat. I've seen what a .300 Win Mag did to a pronghorn; "collateral damage" doesn't begin to cover it.

I think I'll just get the surplus rifles and handgun. Even with three guns and ammunition in three different calibers (four, since I'm getting more ammo and magazines for the AK) it'll probably cost less than the Weatherby rifle and ammunition for it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

7.62x54R is equivelent to .30-06. I plan on getting a Mosin-Nagant and a K-31 sometime soon, but eh. Maybe I'll get both of those this summer along with a CZ-52 and call it even.

Quoted:

I wouldn't shoot a whitetail with a massive gun simply because of all the wasted meat. I've seen what a .300 Win Mag did to a pronghorn; "collateral damage" doesn't begin to cover it.

I think I'll just get the surplus rifles and handgun. Even with three guns and ammunition in three different calibers (four, since I'm getting more ammo and magazines for the AK) it'll probably cost less than the Weatherby rifle and ammunition for it.

Good call.

Now that I have sold off my gun collection, my deer rifle is an old sporterized Mauser that my grandfather built and gave me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I just figured out the budget for a Swiss K-31, CZ-52 pistol, and Nagant revolver, with some ammunition for each of them. Then I figured out s/h and the FFL fee.

I've got about the same price as buying the Weatherby and some .300 Wby Mag ammo or slightly higher than what I paid for my WASR-10 and ammo for it.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Rifles that shoot expensive ammo are a waste of money IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#17]
50 BMG it is the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#18]
If you're not shooting the big 5, 30-06 will be more than anything you need.  Its much cheaper and easier to find.  Easier to reload should you go that route.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I just figured out the budget for a Swiss K-31, CZ-52 pistol, and Nagant revolver, with some ammunition for each of them. Then I figured out s/h and the FFL fee.

I've got about the same price as buying the Weatherby and some .300 Wby Mag ammo or slightly higher than what I paid for my WASR-10 and ammo for it.

SPend that FFL fee on a FFL 03 C&R and get them all shipped right to your house. That C&R was my credit card's worst enemy for awhile
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Up in Canadia where I'm from all you needed for big meese was sporterized Enfield.

Mmmmmmmm, meese meet.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I was shooting the .375 yesterday. Four rounds and my shouler is STILL sore. And I scope bit my forehead.

No more lightweight magnums for me!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I was shooting the .375 yesterday. Four rounds and my shouler is STILL sore. And I scope bit my forehead.

What rifle were you shooting it from?  In most rifles the 375H&H are just a push,not even as hard as the 7MMRemMag!

My 375Win BB94(though not a .375H&H) has less recoil than my 94 30/30!!!

Here in Oklahoma I don't feel the need for anything bigger!

I have a 99 savage in .308 that will take care of moose,elk,black bears and would think that a 30/06 would do as well!!!

Price some 300 win mags,or Weatherby 300 mags(shells) and you will see the 06 will do just fine!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:41:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What rifle were you shooting it from?  In most rifles the 375H&H are just a push,not even as hard as the 7MMRemMag!

My 375Win BB94(though not a .375H&H) has less recoil than my 94 30/30!!!

Here in Oklahoma I don't feel the need for anything bigger!

I have a 99 savage in .308 that will take care of moose,elk,black bears and would think that a 30/06 would do as well!!!

Price some 300 win mags,or Weatherby 300 mags(shells) and you will see the 06 will do just fine!!!

Bob

SAKO L61R witha 23 inch lightweight barrel and a Loopy 1-5X.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Up in Canadia where I'm from all you needed for big meese was sporterized Enfield.

Mmmmmmmm, meese meet.

It's been theorized that more large African game has been taken with .303 than any other cartridge. For probably 100 years or more, it's been a mainstay of hunters there.

And hell, it's not even an uber magnum mega cartridge. I guess 75 years ago they just put the pill into the critical innards and let the beast drop.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#25]
My opinion - keep your money in your pocket.  

More opinion - with a question like this set it up as a poll, not an essay question.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Get A K98 Mauser and scope it.  Accurate enough, cheap ammo that is viable to kill all but perhaps
Elk.  Or even Cheaper Mosin Nagant 91/30.  Both are viable at 400meters.  How long of a shot would you need?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#27]
It is a Weatherby VanGuard.  300 Weatherby ammo is way too expensive for the average hunter, and not needed IMO.  I still have hard time seeing how a 30-06 can't take care of business...I mean it has killed everything in this country for basically 100 years now...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SPend that FFL fee on a FFL 03 C&R and get them all shipped right to your house. That C&R was my credit card's worst enemy for awhile

Give me details on getting a C&R. I've been interested in getting one for a while.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I used to own a Mk V in .300 weatherby magnum... notice I say "used to".

They're nice rifles, the caliber isn't so great IMO. You really don't gain anything over '06, just recoil, flash and velocity that doesn't really translate into more effectiveness on game at any even remotely reasonable range. It'll burn barrels fast, and they cost a fortune to shoot.

Translation Cool Rifle Must Have....
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#30]
375 H&H?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#31]
why not a rifle in 308
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#32]
nice rifle, nice price.  However ammo costs are exorbitant and barrel life sucks compared to a .300 Win Magnum and really really suck compared to .308 or 30-06.  Although with that starting price I think you can live with the after purchase $$.

Is it better than a Savage 110 in 30-06 or 10 in .308?  At $500 or more I'ld say NO, but at that price which is comparable to what a Savage would cost and less than a new Remmie or Winnie, it's probably a go.

I guess if you reloaded your own down just a tad you could match .300 Win Mag and save a bunch of barrel life.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#33]
2 suggestions here:
Savage 10 in .308 with heavy barrel
Remington 700 PSS or VS in .308

If you are on a budget, I suggest you save a few months and get something you will not be ashamed to pull out at the range. A nice Leupold Vari X 3 will fit the scope requirement.

Shooting long range takes more than buying a rifle and shooting. You need a good cleaning rod/kit, bipod, sandbag, sling, ammo, etc.

Sell the winchester 94 and put that cash towards the new sniper rifle.

Either rifle I mentioned will get you sub moa out to 1000 yards with Fed gold medal match 175smk.

Here is a suggested budget setup:
Remington PSS in .308 (one with over 200 rounds and broken in right preferred)$600-700
Leupold LR base and rings (Badger preferred $260+) $50
Leupold 3.5x10x40 M3 $525-800
Eagle stock bag $35
Harris bipod(swivel notched leg preferred) $50-80
misc accessories/ammo $250

Look around for a similar setup as a package that is used. They can be had. A factory Remington .308 barrel will last you over 10k rounds before the groups start to open up. Once you get a Remington, email me on how to make it consistant. Getting a new rifle and breaking in the barrel will take a long time and it costs you ammo. After 350-500 rounds, you will notice a difference in POI in your dopes. That is your barrel breaking in and getting faster.

A properly setup PSS should yield 1/2-5/8" groups at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
375 H&H?

+1
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Forgot to add, pass on the weatherby crap at Wally world. Those are oddball calibers. Try and stick with a nato caliber. 308 is what most shoot for long range accuracy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top