Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 4:53:01 AM EDT
My father in law has a 1969 Firebird that I am helping him restore. This thing is a rust bucket and will need extensive work. While in the process of searching for parts on Goodmark Industries I noticed that they have in house installation so I figured lets see how much they would charge to get this done .

Labor                         Parts

L&R Quarter Panel                    1300.00                         799.90
L&R Outer Wheelhouse             350.00                           300.00
L&R Trunk Drop Off                   250.00                           59.90
Deck Filler                                  210.00                          109.95
Full 1 piece Floor                       895.00                          399.95
R&I to Floor Jig                          300.00                            -0-
L&R Seat Base                           150.00                          59.90
L&R Rocker Skins                      500.00                          179.90

Subtotal                                  4555.00              2149.40
Materials                                     318.85
Tax                                                                                      150.46

Total     $7173.71

Keep in mind this is only sheet metal work with no paint being applied, no finished car to drive!
Luckily I know how to do bodywork so the labor will be paid in beer, fod, and small cash donations!  

It is very easy to get deep into a muscle car if you want it solid and rust free!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Mmmmm, fod.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Mmmmm, fod.

Yeah that's pretty much what we were thinking.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Youch. Hate that - I'm looking at six to seven grand for paint and body on my rusty '68 Coronet. Not fun.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]
And this, gentlemen, is why you see so many restorations that take years and years while the owner saves money to pay for it, or restorations that end up unfinished and abandoned.  

That's why I stick with motorcycles.Good luck with the project.  If you've never done it before it's real easy to get overwhelmed or (if the money's not an issue) burned out.  Take your time and do it right and it will be something of which you can be very proud.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#7]
IIRC, Goodmark's installation is just a few tack welds. You have to do the major welding, grinding, bondo work, and so forth.

Our detailed frame off restorations can be up to eight times more than that quote.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:02:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't call it a full restoration. A full restoration to me would include paint , bodywork, interior, and drivetrain. Which like most of you said would be many times the amount quoted.

This is a good reason why I went to school to learn how to do body work. I work on cars enough to were it was beneficial for me to save money by being able to do as much of he work as possible. The only thing I won't touch are transmissions and rear ends!

edit for typing error
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top