Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2001 9:54:48 PM EDT
Is there any great difference in quality between the German made and U.S. made Walthers?  I just picked up a U.S. made Walther, .380, blue for $325.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool gun. I have always wanted one.  I found a german .32 about six years ago the guy wanted $350 for but I was broke at the time.  A friend has the USA .380 and it works just fine.  Enjoy it. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no real difference between US and German made Walthers.  The real difference between them is the historic value.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#3]
the experts say there is a difference, the USA ppks are a little cheaper quality and they have hard time cycling hollow points. the french made ppks are suppose to be the best quality
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 2:22:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I REALLY DONT THINK SO.I HAVE A us made one in .32 and my buddy has a german one.the only difference is mine is ss and his is blue.
i will say that my east german made makarov is every bit the gun the walther is and then some.the safty works in the correct direction also.for 1/3 the cost the mak is o so hard to beat.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:14:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't tell a difference. These guys around here at the shows pay more for the German made guns. It's like Beretta and the Italy/USA deal. If they are made in the country that the company originated from they usually bring more $$.

My grandfather has a Stainless .380 that is new in the box with 2 Walther stainless mags that I would love to get someday. Maybe I will....
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had a number of both apart, and can find no difference in quality.

What ticks me off, is for years every write-up on the "German made" Walthers raved about "tipical Tutonic" quality.  Then when the U.S. made Walters were brought out, we learned that the post war Walthers were actually made in France.  We were told that "this was common knowlege" among American gun writers.  Thanks for telling us, bozos.

In fairness, in Europe it's common practice to manufacture an item in one country, ship to another, and mark it as made in the later.  In the case of Walthers, they were made in France, shipped a few miles across the border to Germany, had grips added, and were proof fired.
In Europe the country where proof fired, is considered the country of manufacture.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#7]
My PPK/S made in the US eats everything I put in to it. I almost always feed it hollow points, with not a single failure. Great gun. Mines a .380 and for a back-up pistol its perfect.
Link Posted: 6/8/2001 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I own a Walther (USA) PPK in ss. i've shot all types of .380 rounds without a hitch. it's also fairly accurate. only wish that somebody would make wood laminate grips for the pistol.

lib bond
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Theres a web site called "the unoffical walther" or something like that, your browser will go right to it. Really good info on it. I have a German made ppk/s in blue 380 .heard tails of them being slighty better built pistol but dont know anything as fact? But I do know I love the one I got.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a PPK/S for several years.  It was very reliable with hollowpoints after an initial break-in period.  What I hated about it was liked to take chunks of skin of the web of my hand every time I shot it.  I have large hands so I believe it had a lot to do with it.  The other thing I did not like was the fact that my wife could not rack to slide.  I ended up trading it for a S @ W model 60 3" .357 mag.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Well guys, I hate to add a bad word about US made Walthers, but in this case I have to.  I have an Interarms made .380 SS PPK/S.  When I bought it, the dealer told me to expect to put 500 rounds through it before it becomes completely reliable.  Ok, I'm at over 600 hundred and the darn thing still isn't feeding reliably.  Even went to the trouble of buying a new Walther manufactured mag - still no improvement.  All ammunition has been factory loaded ball ammunition of Federal, Winchester, PMC, you name it.  I am considering trading it or sending it off to have reliability work done on it.  I don't have any experience with European made Walthers - my Dad has a French one that is absolutely pristine and is afraid to shoot it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#12]
My American made PPK/S has never jammed, not once. I've shot everything from PMC crap to Hydro-Shocks and never a hitch.

Not only that, but I'd go as far to say that it's VERY accurate for a short barreled pistol.

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top