Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/8/2006 2:22:22 PM EDT
I was walking through Wal-Mart last week, and I went down the magazine aisle to get this weeks copy of Shotgun News. When I got to the area where they usually are I was suprised to see that there was no shotgun news, or any other magazine for that matter. I asked an employee where they were and he said he didn't know what happened but he knew that they were not going to be selling them anymore. I think that this is the dumbest thing I have seen Wal-Mart do. They can carry ammunition, rifles, shotguns, cleaning supplies but no gun publications. Anyone else have this problem??????

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I was at Walmart last night to get some diapers and they had plenty of gun mags and guns.
I call BS on this one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I live in Ohio, anyone else from Ohio having this problem????
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe they are just as sick of the drivel in gun rags as the rest of us are.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a local problem. We still have them here... fullclip
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#6]
For the price of 2 or 3 mags, you can subscribe for the whole year.  SGN day is a Happy day.

Throughout the country, I have noticed a lack of gun rags only at the inner city Walmarts.

Ask your local WM manager.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#7]
My local one still has 'em. I think...... -I'd have to look next time, I don't shop for magazines there.  
-----
What I never understood about (the local) Wal-Mart was that they all sell a mix of long-guns. Like maybe (among two racks) they have ten shotguns, ten rifles (bolt-action sporters in stuff like 270, 30-30, 30-06--traditional hunting calibers and I know I've seen Mini-14's/30's too) and maybe five rimfire rifles..... -but the odd thing is that there is no legal rifle hunting seasons in Illinois at all.

Who are they selling these rifles to??? How many rifles are they even selling?
~
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The 2 1 walmarts I was in today this weekend had plenty of gun mags.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I was at Walmart two days ago and I was thinking the same thing.  I didn't see one gun magazine.  No Shotgun News, No Gunlist, No Guns and Ammo, etc.  Not even any of the "less" politically incorrect Rifle Shooter type magazines.  They did have 2 paintball magazines and Bowhunter along with some of the "Sportsman" types.

I'm kicking myself for not checking it out today when I was picking up something.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Where at in Ohio? I was in the Xenia store last week and I saw some.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#11]
The WalMarts here still carry gun magazines, including ShotGun News.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I love drivel!  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I was in a local bookstore chain looking for SN.  They didn't have it, nor any other gun-related publication... not even hunting mag!  I ask the clerk about this, and she replied, "we are a family bookstore, we do not sell those!"  Looked at me all disgusted.  
On the way out, I spot HighTimes and some other drug related rag.  I was so flabbergasted, I didn't even ask.
I never went in that store again, nor any other company they own.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't go to China Mart
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Picked up a SGN about 45 minutes ago.  They had 5 or 6 other gun rags too.

May be a local thing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#18]
All the stores in this area carry them. Even the LE and military type mags.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Walmart not carrying Gun Publications anymore, but they still sell rifles, shotguns, etc....

Hah.  I thought this title said "Walmart not carrying Gay Republicans anymore."

I just woke up from a nap, btw.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#20]
blue state?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Walmart sucks anyhow.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#22]
 I  think it's an outside vendor that stocks the magazine rack here . Plenty of gun mags but
the titles will vary sometimes .

What do you mean " no rifle hunting seasons in Illinois " ? Are you serious ?  WTFO ?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#23]
WalMarts around here cater to the Elmer Fudd's w/ Shooting Times and Guns & Ammo.  SGN is the most ?questionable? they sell.  Every once in a while, you can get Combat Tactics Annual or something like that, but it's just G&A + $$'s.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Columbus Ohio Walmarts don't carry guns or gun magazines. No guns due to restrictive Columbus gun purchase laws. Reynoldsburg, ten miles away, Walmart has both.

Floppy_833: Does IL have Coyote, Groundhog, or Fox seasons that allow rifles? Ohio has no Rifles for deer. But 51 weeks a year we can hunt Coyotes and Groundhogs with rifles. Deer gun season we have to use deer legal guns.

IBTSA (In before the Smart Ass) Even though the Groundhogs are hibernating it is legal to hunt them in the winter. Dumb, but legal.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Not that I buy it , but the wallymart in my area
had the latest issue of SGN  and the other newspaper
gun rag ( Gun Digest ? ) yesterday . They also have
most of the glossy mags , except SWAT .
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I was walking through Wal-Mart last week, and I went down the magazine aisle to get this weeks copy of Shotgun News. When I got to the area where they usually are I was suprised to see that there was no shotgun news, or any other magazine for that matter. I asked an employee where they were and he said he didn't know what happened but he knew that they were not going to be selling them anymore. I think that this is the dumbest thing I have seen Wal-Mart do. They can carry ammunition, rifles, shotguns, cleaning supplies but no gun publications. Anyone else have this problem??????

You should buy them more often instead of reading them at the stand

Hell, just get s subscription to Shotgun News it is WAYYYY cheaper and you will
never regret it.

LB
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#27]
WTF? I need to pick up SAR before i get on the plane tomorrow??
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#28]
The Wally World here had all kinds of gun mags and shotgun news.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Does WalMart carry SAR ?  I've never seen it there.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Just bought several gun rags and Shotgun News to send to some troops. No shortage here.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#31]
As of Friday, Troy, OH walmart had gun mags...lot'em.   Never saw a SAR in a walmart though....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Does Wal-Mart do their own magazine distribution, or is it a third party company?

All of the book stores I am aware of have a third party stock their magazine racks.  The third party usually makes decisions on what to stock, based on sales and local demographics.

Wal-mart is big enough that maybe they don't do this.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#33]
The last time i picked up a SGN at a wal-mart it was in the sporting goods section and not the magazine section.

Our wal-mart doesn't even leave the guns out in the open here anymore with all the trash still here from New Orleans.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#34]
They use third party distributors.

Pete
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

You always so quick to fly off the handle based on what a WMT employee tells you?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't notice, because I don't buy gun mags.

How fucking futile.

Remember, all you guys hate Wal Mart.  They SHOULD start by banning guns..Ammo...Fishing..
We all hate Wal Mart...If they die....Great...Right?

We all know they dont' carry American made stuff.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I say any news stand or magazine dealer who refuses to carry gun mags is a fucking pussy!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
My local one still has 'em. I think...... -I'd have to look next time, I don't shop for magazines there.  
-----
What I never understood about (the local) Wal-Mart was that they all sell a mix of long-guns. Like maybe (among two racks) they have ten shotguns, ten rifles (bolt-action sporters in stuff like 270, 30-30, 30-06--traditional hunting calibers and I know I've seen Mini-14's/30's too) and maybe five rimfire rifles..... -but the odd thing is that there is no legal rifle hunting seasons in Illinois at all.

~

You can still do lots of shooting and reloading. A friend of mine lives in Glen Carbon and his favorite rifle is his Remington 700 .270 that his wife bought for him with bingo winnings. He'll load 100 shells for (at max load) for when we go shooting. He shoots a few, then has me shoot the rest so he can reload them again. Works for me.
 Same deal with another friend in Dupo. He does a lot of reloading and shooting, but rarely hunts anymore.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Still have gun mags on the shelves here.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Local store keeps them back by the gun racks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I was at Walmart last night to get some diapers and they had plenty of gun mags and guns.
I call BS on this one.

+1
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Indiana doesn't have a rifle season for deer either, only shotgun.  Local mom&pop shop still does a hell of a business in used rifles.  Mostly people trading in their xxx magnum for something easier on the shoulder.  WalMart still carries the rifles, and occasionally marks them down, allowing me to buy a Weatherby Vanguard .270 for $200.  I guess a lot of people go to other states to hunt, or dream of it like I do.

Quoted:
-----

~

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#43]
I suppose I was mistaken. Wal-Mart is not selling guns anymore in the town I live in. 3 wal-marts... No guns for sale. Closest wal-mart with guns is 30+ miles away. This is what my stepdad told me,

He bought a 10-22 last week from Academy after going to Wal-mart and was informed that they didn't have any guns in stock. He asked when they were reordering and was told that they didn't know.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Thats funny I was at a wall mart in VA last week and noticed that they had only a few guns left in stock and it has been this way for a while  well sence christmass. I did ask the man behind the counter when they were going to re stock he told me they never know when there stock is comming in it shows up at the door then they know. Now it makes me wonder???? hmmmmmm on the magizienes who cares they are costing $7.99 for most of them thats a little much. Id rather buy 500 rounds of 22 ammo and have fun
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#45]

I did ask the man behind the counter when they were going to re stock he told me they never know when there stock is comming in it shows up at the door then they know.

....I heard this too.
I have asked one about getting Winchester Dynapoint in 22LR--none around seem to carry it, but they all have the 22WMR. They don't even have shelf tags for the Dynapoint in 22LR. I looked at two IL stores, and two MO stores in the St Louis area.

So at the last store I tried, I asked about it. The guy looked for it in a ordering book (with barcode tags in it) and couldn't find any such product listed--at the same time that other people apparently were buying cartloads of the stuff in other areas of the country. And he said he didn't know how else to order it if it wasn't in there. I asked when they might get in new shipments and he said they did not know, they got no advance notice of anything.

When I related this story, someone on rimfirecentral said that dept managers could special-order stuff, but I wasn't really interested in hasling them about it any more. I never did find it anywhere else but if a store emloyee tells me they don't know how to order something I want, I'm not likely to argue with them over it.
~~~~~
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Sounds like a local problem. We still have them here... fullclip

+1
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
-----

~

You can hunt opossum, raccoon, coyote, fox, and a couple other fur-bearing species with rifle in IL.

I hunt with my AR.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#48]
I was shopping in Wal-Mart one night and there was a little old lady taking inventory of the types and quantities of gun mags in the magazine section.  She was NOT a Wal-Mart employee.  She wrote the information down in a small green notebook and looked very self conscious/nervous while doing all this.  I was standing back waiting for her to finish what she was doing so I could grab the one I wanted.  

She bent over to count the Shotgun news stack and I saw a HALIBURTON id card clipped to the waistband of her slacks.  I quickly exited the store in fear.

Actually, except for the Haliburton part it was a true story.  Not sure why she was doing what she was doing but I figured she was just some anti-gun libtard.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:00:03 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I was shopping in Wal-Mart one night and there was a little old lady taking inventory of the types and quantities of gun mags in the magazine section.  She was NOT a Wal-Mart employee.  She wrote the information down in a small green notebook and looked very self conscious/nervous while doing all this.  I was standing back waiting for her to finish what she was doing so I could grab the one I wanted.  

She bent over to count the Shotgun news stack and I saw a HALIBURTON id card clipped to the waistband of her slacks.  I quickly exited the store in fear.

Actually, except for the Haliburton part it was a true story.  Not sure why she was doing what she was doing but I figured she was just some anti-gun libtard.

Halliburton has 2 L's... I'm reporting this to my superiors
You're in deep shit!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Maybe they are just as sick of the drivel in gun rags as the rest of us are.

What he said. Virtually all of them are worthless anyway.

I mean, how many ways can you trick out a 1911 anyway?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top