Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2003 6:22:51 PM EDT
Background: I have narrowed my rifle choices to a Walmart Winchester "Black Shadow" in 30/06 and a Remington 700 Plastic stock Walmart special in 30/06.

Question: Which one should I get, all else being equal (which it darn near is)?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought the Winchester, and I love it...
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#2]
That's right, go with the Remington. 'Course, I like 7.62mm better!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
i don't think you can go wrong either way. but i would get the remington, cause i don't have any remingtons right now(have a winchester already).
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you should buy a folding chair then let me hit you with it for shopping at Wal Mart. [:D]

Seriously, Wal Mart "suspended" sales of firearms and ammunition on 9-11 and for several days after to prevent "panic buying" of firearms.

Why would you contribute money to a company with that mentality? Go down to a local gun shop and spend the extra $12.00 for the same gun. At least you will be supporting (and keeping in business) a guy who will sell you a gun on the day you NEED it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#5]
The Rem 700 is the base for the Army M-24 (IIRC), and is the '10/22 of bolt actions' WRT upgrades and add-ons...

Buy now, build up later...

I'd get one myself, but I decided to play around with an old K98 action for 'build-it-yourself' reasons, and to save money in the beginning (I'm in $230 now, for the action and stock. Scope and mount being bought in the future.)
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]
700 for sure.  Best out of the box accuracy out there, even in a Walmart special.  Speaking of which.....buy the gun elsewhere!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Remington so I am partial to them. However I have heard nothing but good things about Winchester as well as the Remington so I can see your 'quandry' (like that word?)

What are the price differences?

Also If I may say so. My brother has the 700 in .308 and I have the 710 in 30-06.

I have never been a bolt action type person so when I saw the 710 for 349.00 and that came WITH a scope. How could I go wrong?

RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX that rifle was [b]"dead on balls"[/b] accurate.

If you STILL cannot decide... buy both [;)]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Seriously, Wal Mart "suspended" sales of firearms and ammunition on 9-11 and for several days after to prevent "panic buying" of firearms.
View Quote

i call[BS]

link?

seeing as how i work there, and i was there on 9/11 and the following days. this did not happen. i don't understand why so many people here have a problem with wal-mart. it is a business just like any other.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

i call[BS]

link?

seeing as how i work there, and i was there on 9/11 and the following days. this did not happen. i don't understand why so many people here have a problem with wal-mart. it is a business just like any other.  
View Quote

Link? How about my local stores did it? How about reported on all local news channels 9-12? Just because they didn't pull that shit at your store, doesn't mean ALL of the Wal Marts in South Florida didn't.

Also I don't randomly make up shit. And not everything is on the internet with a "link." Some stuff actually happens to us in real life.

And my problem with Wal Mart is they pull bullshit stunts like this. Just like K Mart decided to no longer sell firearms.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#10]
if your local stores did it, then boycott your local stores. that was not a company wide policy, just a couple of dumbass store managers. did you call the home office? they would have straightened those stores out right away.

whoops.....thread hijack....new thread started[:D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#11]
BTT for more advice
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd buy the Remington, "just cause" I want one! Regardless of Steyr's personal beef Walmart is the ONLY chain store left that sells guns/ammo. Sure they make some assinine choices sometimes. That's a great reason why we should drive our last big "ally" (I use the term loosly) out of business. [rolleyes] I'll post a new topic on my feelings about Walmart.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:38:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Rem 700 Walmart Special in .308
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#14]
You need to get one of those winchester rifles chambered in 270, 7mm or 300 WSM.

They come in at just under 400 dollars with a crappy scope.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought the winchester black shadow about two years ago from Wal-mart and wouldn't trade it in for anything.  Damn good shooter too.

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Kev, I will IM asking this as well..

Would you mind giving me some more info? Rings and bases used; ease of cleaning; trigger; bolt; magazine; group size; zero point movement; scope you used--anything like that.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Use your AR for deer, they work great. Read up at www.ammo-oracle.com for advice on what works best.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Kev, I will IM asking this as well..

Would you mind giving me some more info? Rings and bases used; ease of cleaning; trigger; bolt; magazine; group size; zero point movement; scope you used--anything like that.

Thanks.
View Quote

It origionally came with I want to say Simmons base and rings with a 3x9x32 simmons scope.  

Its real easy to clean, just pop out the bolt and run a patch through it and oil the bolt.

The trigger is completely adjustable if you have the time to sit down and look it over.  There are a few tutorials on the net somewhere.

The bolt is the standard 2 lug with a knurled handle and a three position safety attached to the end which is real convenient to operate with gloves.  

Magazine is 3+1 round internal.  The fancy models have a detachable box mag

I switched over to a Bushnell 4x20x50 banner scope with Luepold bases and rings and with 168 gr Nosler match bullets and pretty selective case prep, I can get, on average, 3/4 MOA all day but I have had the chamber and barrel cryo-accurized and that brought it down from 1.25" @ 100 yards.  I have, on a few occassions, got 1/2 or slightly better groups with no wind and [b]extremely[/b] selctive case and bullet prep.  With standard hunting bullets, I can get right around MOA which is alot better then you will need for any deer in Michigan but it comes in real handy when the wood chucks/ ground hogs get a little pushy with there boundries.

Everything is really nice with the rifle stock but I dont have the money to invest in a top of the line rifle out of the box so I bought a cheap rifle and did a little bit of work to it myself and had a gunsmith friend finish the rest.  All in all, I have probably put another 250$ into accurizing it and I am rather impressed with it especially for the price.  I've heard from a few people that Howa makes a quality bargain rifle too.

Keving67
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top