BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2017 12:24:41 PM EDT
HSBC, Citigroup, Morgan Stanley say end of market boom is nigh
Breakdown in trading patterns is signal to get out soon

HSBC Holdings Plc, Citigroup Inc. and Morgan Stanley see mounting evidence that global markets are in the last stage of their rallies before a downturn in the business cycle.

Analysts at the Wall Street behemoths cite signals including the breakdown of long-standing relationships between stocks, bonds and commodities as well as investors ignoring valuation fundamentals and data. It all means stock and credit markets are at risk of a painful drop.

“Equities have become less correlated with FX, FX has become less correlated with rates, and everything has become less sensitive to oil,” Andrew Sheets, Morgan Stanley’s chief cross-asset strategist, wrote in a note published Tuesday.

His bank’s model shows assets across the world are the least correlated in almost a decade, even after U.S. stocks joined high-yield credit in a selloff triggered this month by President Donald Trump’s political standoff with North Korea and racial violence in Virginia.

Just like they did in the run-up to the 2007 crisis, investors are pricing assets based on the risks specific to an individual security and industry, and shrugging off broader drivers, such as the latest release of manufacturing data, the model shows. As traders look for excuses to stay bullish, traditional relationships within and between asset classes tend to break down.
View Quote
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-22/wall-street-banks-warn-winter-is-coming-as-business-cycle-peaks

Maybe it'll happen on a Monday?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#1]
"Signals"....Got it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
So market uncertainty driven by world uncertainty might lead to a downturn.  Got it.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#4]
yawn
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quick!  Short everything!  Monday is just five days away.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Doubt it. We haven't had a a major correction in almost 10 years, why would we suddenly have one now? 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Monday®
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Wishful think by liberals
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#10]
market is overbought. i dont know what the definition of correction is so i cant say for sure. but i expect the market to fall. i dont expect something like 2007 2008 unless there is some significant bubble like the housing/real estate/mortgage of the last correction or the hugely overpriced NASDAQ before the dotcom meltdown. but its coming.

all bets are off though if something crazy happens, something with trump or something with NK. big boys are poised for the shorts simply waiting for the signal when all prisoners will be released.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Doubt it. We haven't had a a major correction in almost 10 years, why would we suddenly have one now? 
View Quote
Upward growth forever!

(June 26, 1999)

(September 30, 1999)

(December 2001)
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Let's see what Yellen has to say today out there in the Hole

Krazy Kim is a wild card as are the local communists,the GOPe,NeoCons,RINOs their compatriots in Antifa and BLM

Chinese lukewarm friendship with Kim makes the world real confident with the Yuan as reserve currency.

The USD where else are they gonna go?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn, I just put a buy order in.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#14]
@gym007

you'll be vindicated soon, broseph
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's an ironic disconnect with this post and username.

The very fact that there hasn't been a correction is an indication that one is due.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome- I have some cash incoming...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Isn't that a bit like saying the sun will set tonight?
And then come up again tomorrow morning?

No shit, in other words
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
market is overbought. i dont know what the definition of correction is so i cant say for sure. but i expect the market to fall. i dont expect something like 2007 2008 unless there is some significant bubble like the housing/real estate/mortgage of the last correction or the hugely overpriced NASDAQ before the dotcom meltdown. but its coming.

all bets are off though if something crazy happens, something with trump or something with NK. big boys are poised for the shorts simply waiting for the signal when all prisoners will be released.
View Quote
I believe correction is considered 10% or greater. Dont quote me on that though
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Bulls and Bears make money, etc etc.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Well unless you're planning on spending the money next year you'll be fine. In which case it shouldn't be in the market anyways.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well unless you're planning on spending the money next year you'll be fine. In which case it shouldn't be in the market anyways.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This
That.  Plus buying opportunity if you have some extra cash laying around.  I'll take it now vs. 30 years from now.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
New home sales plunge 10%
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Upward growth forever!
View Quote
We're safe so long as we all believe that the price of tulips will never fall.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#25]
How many hundreds of millions will the bankers and CEOs make in bonuses for crashing the economy this time?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
lol
Yet prices Increase

Is it cause there aren't enough houses?

Houses here are sold before they're even built...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

We're safe so long as we all believe that the price of tulips will never fall.
View Quote
To paraphrase the Simpsons...

Skinner: Well, I was wrong. The tulips are a godsend.
Lisa: But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when the price of tulips falls?
Skinner: No problem. We simply unleash wave after wave of Adjustable Rate Mortgages. They'll prop up the tulips.
Lisa: But aren't the ARMs even worse?
Skinner: Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of long running car note and college debt that can't be discharged in bankruptcy.
Lisa: But then we're stuck with new entries into the economy that will never escape debt and can never enter the middle class!
Skinner: No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, those people will simply freeze to death.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#28]
The big banks shouldn't worry, we'll bail them out no matter what
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#29]
"We're gonna need a bigger bailout"
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

All the things are overvalued.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Self fulfilling prophecy... Obviously the market is going to go down in the future, nobody knows when. I think the firms want it to so they can take gains and then invest again.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#32]
did they call the pull back last year too?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#33]
4chan posted some Rothschild fund report that stated the S&P is overvalued, trading at 25 times earnings, while the historical average is 15 times earnings.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Monday®
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The big banks shouldn't worry, we'll bail them out no matter what
View Quote
Per David Stockman, not this time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I should be up to a little more than 25% cash in a couple of weeks.

I'll be ready...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Per David Stockman, not this time.
View Quote
If another financial crisis were to hit and you're wondering how the government will respond, you should look around to notice how many big banking connections exist in your current Presidential administration.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
@gym007

you'll be vindicated soon, broseph
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How many hundreds of millions will the bankers and CEOs make in bonuses for crashing the economy this time?
View Quote
Isn't that punishment enough for all they went through last time???
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#40]
US dollar has been rapidly loosing value since April.....most people didn't pay attention.   15% drop in value.

What also people don't realize is that the rise in stock prices is actually due to weakening US economy and thus USD.   Weakening US dollar is good for US corporations with global footprint, makes their profits go up due to currency exchange effect. Fudds on the other hand  think it's because economy is doing so well, hah.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
US dollar has been rapidly loosing value since April.....most people didn't pay attention.   15% drop in value.

What also people don't realize is that the rise in stock prices is actually due to weakening US economy and thus USD.   Weakening US dollar is good for US corporations with global footprint, makes their profits go up due to currency exchange effect. Fudds on the other hand  think it's because economy is doing so well, hah.
View Quote
 I've never understood how you have such a right-leaning economic ideology, yet it isn't reflected in your political ideology.  They usually go together.  What gives?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote
Just like last time, housing prices skyrocketed for no particular reason, greedy developers tried to beat each other to build more overpriced stick-homes, and then the market stopped when all those who could afford or wanted those things had one already.

It will bounce back faster, the loans weren't nearly as easy to get and resold as "securities".
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
 I've never understood how you have such a right-leaning economic ideology, yet it isn't reflected in your political ideology.  They usually go together.  What gives?
View Quote
Economically "conservative" while socially "liberal" is the definition of libertarian ideology.   Both parties fear libertarians and attack them with fervor.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just like last time, housing prices skyrocketed for no particular reason, greedy developers tried to beat each other to build more overpriced stick-homes, and then the market stopped when all those who could afford or wanted those things had one already.

It will bounce back faster, the loans weren't nearly as easy to get and resold as "securities".
View Quote
It's happening again.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I generally look long term, no one to catch a  knife-  Dividends and interest, etc.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#46]
And now it's a self fulfilling prophecy.

This is how this kind of shit gets started.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Economically "conservative" while socially "liberal" is the definition of libertarian ideology.   Both parties fear libertarians and attack them with fervor.
View Quote
Where do you fall on spelling???

loose/lose

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Monday®
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Damn, I just put a buy order in.
View Quote
Soot4Brains, you idiot, get back in there and sell, SELL!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So market uncertainty driven by world uncertainty might lead to a downturn.  Got it.  
View Quote
exactly... so, you're telling me the market can't just rise.... damn it!!!   why has nobody told me this before!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top