Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2004 6:31:21 AM EDT
My connecting flight was cancelled leaving me with 5 1/2 hours to kill in DFW.  While I'm walking around I saw several soldiers in desert BDUs.  I'm normally a pretty introverted guy and am not prone to being outgoing, but I made a point of thanking them for their service and shaking their hands.

Then I saw a young man coming toward me with a Puple Heart hanging on his shirt.  Talking with him I learned that he had been hit with an IED.  He still carried shrapnel in his face and leg, and his right eye was damaged leaving him with 20/800 vision.  I gave him a heartfelt thank-you and wished God's blessings on him.

As I walked away I got mad at how John Kerry has trivialized the Purple Heart and used it for political gain.  This young man suffered wounds inflicted by the enemy.  Kerry isn't worthy to shine that soldier's shoes.

If you see a service member, make a point of thanking the.  We owe them so much.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#1]
You have a solid perspective.  Good for you.  And hope your brief stay in DFW was pleasant.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:40:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Any time God blesses someone from South Carolina with 5 1/2 hours in Texas, they ought to be thankful.

I'm glad you gave the troops a much deserved atta-boy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

As I walked away I got mad at how John Kerry has trivialized the Purple Heart and used it for political gain.  This young man suffered wounds inflicted by the enemy.  Kerry isn't worthy to shine that soldier's shoes.

If you see a service member, make a point of thanking the.  We owe them so much.

I can't disagree with that!  I just wish more people could understand the implicatons of it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Good man. I try to do the same.

Sorry you were stuck at DFW. THat's about the WORST major airport to be stuck at - fewer shops, restaurants, etc than most.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top