Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 4:38:21 PM EDT
I was in Wal-mart tonight and as I do whenever I visit I pick up a box of cheap ammo for the collection. I ask for a 40 pack of WIN 223s, the lady at the hunting counter says "Why do you shoot those? Why not something with a kick".

I try not to be a jerk so I indulge her comment with"Like what?"

She says "Mercury rounds".

At this point You couldn't force me to leave before I find out what a "Mercury Round" is. She tells me that at home they take .357 hollow points and fill them with mercury from thermometers and cover it with wax! She said that it would "blow a hole in a tree the size of your head"
She said that it was a hillbilly thing like shootin bottles of gasoline with lit wicks in it.

I made some comment about how poisonous mercury was but it fell on deaf (stupid) ears.

I just wanted to add my story to the growing list of "Stupid things that I was told by a person at the Wal-Mart hunting counter"

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#2]
"Mercury or Glycrine?"
"Why, mercury of course....."

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#3]
She's sure to have some deformed offspring in her future.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Wally World definitely hires the handicapped.

I think they must get some kind of tax break for hiring the retarded and old farts.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow.  I didn't realize mercury was an explosive.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#6]
So is that what he was doing in Jaws?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So is that what he was doing in Jaws?

That was cyanide.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Isn't "Wal Mart" and "stupidity" redundant in the title??

wganz

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Thermometers haven't had mercury in them in a LONG time.Dave
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn, that's just stupid.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

what do they use then?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
"Mercury or Glycrine?"

www.destgulch.com/images/jackal2.jpg
www.destgulch.com/images/jack03.jpg

w00t!  Someone besides me has seen "The Jackal" (not "the day of the jackal")
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I've done that, with a 125gr 357 when I was younger to see if that was bs or not, it's bs and your lucky if the wax doesnt come loose from the other rounds from the recoil. I went yesterday to buy ammo and the stupid kid asks if I was going to war with all the ammo I bought
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've done that, with a 125gr 357 when I was younger to see if that was bs or not, it's bs and your lucky if the wax doesnt come loose from the other rounds from the recoil. I went yesterday to buy ammo and the stupid kid asks if I was going to war with all the ammo I bought

should have said " nope, to the post office"
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You can still buy oral thermometers with mercury.

There has been talk about banning the sale of them in certain cities/states,
but I don't think there have been any laws passed yet.
I'm sure some retail giants have stopped selling them.  
I don't think you can go to Wal-Mart and buy a mercury thermometer.
But I know I can go to the local drug store and get one.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#16]
thats got me thinking, If I throw a thermometer, I can blow a hole in a tree the size of my head.

sounds like something I need to try

Gary
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Mercury or Glycrine?"

Didn't see all of the Jackal, but the pics are from The Day of the Jackal.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I tired it as well when I was younger, and a drilled-out .357 with mercury in a hollowed-out bullet DEFINITELY expanded more and had a MUCH larger exit hole than a regular solid lead .357.

However - how a mercury-filled bullet would compared to a really well-designed hollow-point I don't know.

Either way, it's a completely retarded idea, because beyond being posionous, mercury is ridiculously expensive.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

My house thermostat does and my home is 3 years old.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tired it as well when I was younger, and a drilled-out .357 with mercury in a hollowed-out bullet DEFINITELY expanded more and had a MUCH larger exit hole than a regular solid lead .357.

However - how a mercury-filled bullet would compared to a really well-designed hollow-point I don't know.

Either way, it's a completely retarded idea, because beyond being posionous, mercury is ridiculously expensive.

Hot lead is posionous also
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I vaguely remember being in sporting goods and seeing a guy I know looking at some rifles. Some HS kid was showing him some rifles and commented about how one had (and his voice got all excited!) a TEN ROUND MAG! The guy looking was like "holy crap, 10 rounds!?!?" I just shook my head and walked away. sad sad sad.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Mercury or Glycrine?"

That movie IS "The Day of the Jackal"...that terrible remake with Bruce Willis was "The Jackal"...neither of which were as entertaining as the book...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Do not go to walmart around the first of the month.  You are taking your life into your own hands.

I buy ammo online now for this exact reason.  Wasting my time waiting for some dumbass to walk back there and get me my ammo.  Its not worth it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Most oral thermometers use alcohol now instead of mercury IIRC.  You can still find the mercury ones around; thermostats use them as do most laboratories.  The mercury isn't explosive, it's just very dense and doesn't compress so, in theory anyways, when the bullet strikes something hard the lead will deform as the mercury is being psuhed around.  

If you want to blow a big hole in a tree just use a new 12 gauge #8 shot with the shell partially cut at the wadding- be sure to use a cylinder bore barrel.  The whole end of the shell comes off and it acts like a giant Glaser safety slug.

Incidentially- anyone know the difference between an oral and a rectal thermometer?

the taste  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top