Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/21/2001 1:53:21 PM EDT
I had a customer come in today and ask for me to order him a mag for his 45acp Hi-Point[puke]
I said sure I'll be glad to. He then asked if we carried any 45acp ammo. I gave him the price and he says to me. "Walmart is two Dollars cheaper than you." I looked at him kind of funny and asked him if Walmart would special order him the Hi-Point mag. He said NO. I told him that was to bad cause if he thought he should try to save 2 Dollars over there then He could Damn well get his mag there to. I tore up his ticket for the mag right in front of him.
Walmart ruins small business. I was only making 2.75 on the damn mag that cost 12.27 I think thats a fair markup. Hell I don't even charge freight on small stuff like that.
If you want to see small business owners like me go under just keep on buying Walmarts Chinese Crap all you want. Remember the little Guys like me are the ones who keep the firearms business alive in small towns like I live in.
Walmart won't even sell Pistols
Sorry this is so long but I need to let off some steam. If you hate Walmart and agree with me then please leave a post.
 Thanks
Gary
Sportsman's Supply
Hey guys you will love this. Mr asshole walmart lover came back today and sent one of his buddies in to buy that Hi-point mag. I gladly ordered and let on like I didn't know what was up. I even made the guy a deal on it. I could see Mr. asshole walmart lover sitting out in his truck waiting. I am still laughing my ass off over this. Guess he couldn't get it at walmart could he.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't shop at "Walls-Mart" because they have so few cashiers, you have to wait 10-15 minutes to get checked out.  If I really needed something from there, I have to get there when they open to avoid their long lines.  I found out that Target usually carries the samething, you checked out twice as fast, and sometimes it is cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like that guy had some balls . and no brains .
 I check prices also but am not dumb enough to spout off like that to my local dealers , unless I don't plan on ever shopping there again . If I think the prices are too out of line I simply move on .

I do believe that it is necessary to support local shops when possible , lest they go away forever then there will not be one around when you do need him .
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Ranman223
Agreed there is no reason to insult a person..

Let old wally world run all the small businesses out of town?? The thought is scarey when I look behind the counter at wally world's selection of firearms....

OTOH?? Walmart's selection is better than Rosie World, commonly called KMart.

Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, HATE them as well!

Funny story....

OK, I had a couple of beers....
A friend and I went to Wall-Mart in Louisville and took two carts around and did some serious shopping. Got to check out and started to put things on the belt. Before letting her ring up our stuff we looked for "Made in the USA" on the package. All of the "made in China" crap we put in a empty cart and said nope,nope,nope, can't get this either...nope....not this one either...and so on. I/we spent $1.00 for a Pepsi and left all of the China crap at the check out (had to be a couple hundred dollars worth). Manager stopped us and asked what our deal was....My friend is not to be messed with but when you get in her face she will bite ya. She screams VERY loud that Wal-Mart was once not a freeking sell out to our country and she thought she would be buying American! Well at that time Pepsi came out of my nose! I couldn't stop choking, it was funny to see the other shoppers just looking at there stuff in their carts. I grabed her and pulled her out to the car before they called the cops.

Side note:
I think if we all went to Wal-mart and write down everything that we would have bought and the price. then call wal-mart or e-mail and say BTW: you lost this much business cause it's from a 3rd. rate country and you guys don't have the ba*ls to buy American. Thank you and good day.
I might start doing that. It might bring a huge laugh at H.Q. buy I don't care cause they don't care.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Wal mart sucks donkey di©k. They advertize all over their trucks "buy American". So why is 98% of all merchandise in wally world overpriced chinese garbage? I looked at ammo there a few times. $19 for a box of 20 factory Remington .30-06. No thank you, that's way too much. They are only produced 20 miles away. I'll go to the factory, a gunshow, or a gunshop instead.
Walmart can kiss my ass. There is never any parking, they keep 2 of the 20 registers open with two trainees, then I always set off the damn alarm because the dipshit didn't de-magnetize something, then the mentally impaired EEO employee takes 20 minutes to swipe it and write the number in the log book, then I get home and all the crap I just bought was all made in china anyway. They are the last place I try to go if I need something. I say fu©k 'em!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys want to know whats really sad? Most of the stuff in my store is priced cheaper than Walmart. I can't stay with ammo prices because of shipping out here to NM but I am damn close.
I don't think the dumbass I ran out of here is smart enough to know he is getting f#@ked every time he spends a dime in Walmart. Did you all know that all the money Walmart takes in never sees your town again. They don't even doposit it your local banks. You spend it with them and it leaves your local area for GOOD!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#8]
If walmart sucks so bad, then why are all of the gun stores going under? And I don't mean the stores being run by hostile incompetents. When it really comes down to it, you all really do go buy ammo and stuff at walmart because it is cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Besides the phoney "Buy America" promo they also have one that implies they supports lots of local causes when in fact they support very little in relation to their retail sales in a community/region.

Another reason I shop as little as I can at Walmart is due to how they profit by mistreating their suppliers.

If you know the crap a company has to go through in order to sell a product to them you'd feel like [b][red]Howard Beale[/red][/b][puke]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, I do buy stuff at Wal-mart...I'm not afraid to admit it.  But that still doesn't mean I like it.  :hugging chinese made waffle iron:
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I am a former employee of a Wally World. I gave them 3+ years of my life and was crapped on all the way. All those decrepit old f**ks and retards (sorry, seniors and handicapped) that work there, who do you think picks up their slack? Why aren't there enough cashiers? Trimming the budgets so close (so that management can make their bonuses) means skeleton crews. Buy American or not, buy it from a company with some integrity. I could spend a week telling stories of the families they've screwed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh geez, Wal-Mart isn't all that bad. Was this really worth losing a customer over? It wouldn't suprise me one bit if somewhere online right now someone is reading about how the assholes at SPORTSMANS SURPLUS mistreated him and no one should ever do business with them if they can avoid it. With that kind of tact, you sure don't have to worry about Wal-Mart putting you under, you're doing a fine job all by yourself. Frankly, if a local dealer displayed that kind of attitude to me, I'd be quite grateful to have Wal-Mart as an alternative and do the rest of my biz on the 'net.

And yes, Wal-Mart might sell a lot of imported crap, but so do all of the other mass merchandise retailers. I can't believe anyone would suggest Target(do they even sell guns, ammo, or firearm accessories) or K-Mart(Rosie O'Donnel, anyone?) as being somehow more appropriate choices.

I do some of my shopping at Wal-Mart. If you are shopping for name brand items and can save a few bucks, why not? They have Federal shotgun shells $15 for 100, clay pigeons for $3 a box, Federal .22LR $9 for 550 rounds. I like their prices on automotive oil and various filters, too. I certainly don't toss them all of my business. In fact, I knowingly and purposely paid more at a local dealer for a Ruger 10/22 that I bought for my son as a gift last Christmas. I even mentioned it to the dealer, with whom I have a good working relationship, and said I would rather see them stay in business than save the $15-$20 at Wal-Mart. I have this same attitude with the local hardware store rather than buying exclusively at Home Depot or Lowe's. That doesn't mean that I never shop at those stores, but I like to try and keep the local small guy around by doing a good part of my shopping at his store. The fact the he is also my local gun dealer doesn't hurt, either... [:)]

If you want to get mad at someone, get mad at the portion of the American public that keeps on buying cheap, disposable foreign goods, which reminds me of a rant for another thread.....
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like you just ran off a customer and all of his friends too. You should never take business personal. That tore up ticket may have cost you alot of sales in the future. You should have told him that Walmart deals in bigger volume on ammo than you do and that the mag would be there soon. My $.02
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#17]
For the two guys that said I should not have run that guy off I can tell you this. I am cheaper than Walmart on my Rifles and Shotguns. That guy and his friends come in here and pissant around and never buy a damn thing. The guys who work at walmart here in town buy all their guns from me. They even pass out my business cards. I don't hate the employes of Walmart and I wish them the best in their search for a good job at a company that gives a danm about it employes. Besides I provide service and Walmart does NOT. I ran a deal last year where I would boresite your rifle free of charge. No purchase was needed for me to do it.
I would always ask guys if they needed any ammo but I was not pushy about it. You would not believe all the Asshole's who said nope I buy my ammo at Walmart. They didn't give a damn about helping me out. I still say piss on Walmart.
What about tires? Get your tires at walmart but who's going to fix a damn flat on them for you when all the little service stations are gone? Walmart Sucks
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#18]
O.K.  While putting my-self through college in Boone, NC I workd at wally world (ww).  Mind you this ww served several counties most of which have 33% of the population at or below the poverty level.  WW never scheduled enough cashiers for the volume of busisness they did (approx. $98,000-$115,00 sales/day average).  This was done to improve their bottom line.  Guess how much the store manager received as a bonus for such a great bottom line...$98,000!!!! WW can suck my big, fat, hairy, toe!!![:(!]  Sam Walton is more then likely rolling in his grave.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Wal-Mart today is not Sam Walton's Wal-Mart. I feel they've made a conscious decision to cash in the reputation they had built as being a 'better quality' discount store.

But as far as ammo and the local retailer - nothanks. I know you folks can't compete with large volume national chains on margins on most items - but you gotta at least TRY. I generally refuse to do ANY business at all with a shop that prices everything at MSRP. Sorry. You have to  put forth a little effort.  Except for 22lr,and shotgun (which I don't shoot enough of to buy in bulk) - I buy mail order from SGN advertisers anyway.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#20]
SS, while I feel for your loss I think you did make a big "tactical" sales error. The customer is always right. That is why Wal Mart has their hassle free return policy. On the other hand, try returning something to the local gun dealer. No can do or 20% restocking fee. Give me a break.

That being said, all of my firearms have come from the local gun dealers. None from Wally world or the likes. (I did get a Remington Target Master .22 for $15 at a pawn shop many moons ago). I buy ammo, mags, guns, knives and optics from the local guys.

As for Wal Mart running people out, uh, it's the rest of us that buy from them that run "mom-pop" out. With mom-pops inability to purchase quantity they can't compete.

Also, why do we trash wal-mart when it's founder was a pop of the mom-pop busniesses. He just had bigger ideas than the rest of the guys. What is your buisness took on huge proportions? Would you be selling high just to help the "little guy" along?

And don't tell me you never have purchased from Wal-mart. You might be boycotting them now but they have evidently done something right around the country.

Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#21]
For all of you guys who do shop at Wally World remember that their plan is to undercut everyone until they are no longer in business and then....   we will see how cheap they are.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I HATE El Wal Mart!!!  All the people there are FUSSI -- Fat, Unfocused, Slow, Stupid, and IN MY WAY!!!!!

I also hate Home Depot...but that's another story.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#23]
my wife works at walmart and she thinks they suck too! but the stock is good and she makes pretty good money after 8yrs of service and lets face it, is kmart or any other large dept.store doing things any diffrent than them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#24]
ask ww to match a competitor's price...no problem.

ask ww to match a price in another on of their stores...no way!

ww tries to eliminate the competition then raise their prices.  That's, capitalism.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Wally-World. I was a custmer service manager there for a short time. They treat their people like cpar, and never once did I get the resources I needed to serve a customer. I'm now gainfully employed at Target - where they give a damn about me and our guests. My only gripe is that my sweat helped elect the heir to the Dayton/Hudson fortune a liberal senator in Minnesota. Probably why we don't sell guns, too.

That said, I'm still a Wal-Mart shopper. They do have good prices on 22 and 12ga, and generally hav a larger selection , though lower quality on most things. Price is a tossup.

Snowmaster
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#26]
For all you guys that agree with me thanks for the feedback. For all you guys that think the bottom line is the only thing that counts think about this PLEASE. What is going to be left of this country when our manufactoring base is all sent offshore. We get alot of our oil offshore and look at the price. You think the same thing won't happen to the rest of the goods we import. I'll bet most Liberal's look at the bottom line. We can all make a difference if we let it be know that we don't want Chinese shit on the shelves of the the stores we shop at.
 The main thing that guy did to piss me off was his attitude. Sure He wants me around when he needs something nobody else can get but he has no loyalty. He just wants to get the very cheapest price. I wish you guys could see my store and check out my prices. They really are fair. When is the last time you made a gun trade with Walmart? Never! Huh? I don't give a Damn if that guy ever comes back in here. Several customers heard what I told him and they all agreed with me. I don't need that tightwads business anyway. I have all I can do right now and my business is growing every day. People will shop where they are getting a good deal from someone they trust. Can you say that about Walmart? Sorry this was so long but I am still Pissed off. Walmart sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
If walmart sucks so bad, then why are all of the gun stores going under? And I don't mean the stores being run by hostile incompetents. When it really comes down to it, you all really do go buy ammo and stuff at walmart because it is cheaper.
View Quote

Imbroglio
        I buy my ammo by the case thru the mail, my guns I buy from dealers.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#28]
SS it'd your business and you gotta do what you gotta do.  But if it were me, I'd sell the shit that WalMart sells for the same cost or I would'nt sell it at all.  So if you know they sell 10/22 and they sell them for what you can buy them for, either match the price or don't sell them at all.  I would do this just to get people in the store.  I would sell items WalMart does not have.  Handguns is one.  But WM does not sell all that many guns.  A couple shotguns, a
.30-30 marlin lever gun or two and a couple bolt actions.  Most of the guns WM sells are shit anyway IMO.

I can honestly say I never buy anything gun related at a WalMart.  Even cleaning stuff, I can get online from Midway or Brownells in bulk at better prices.  I used to buy that kind of stuff from a local gun store called RELO but due to health of the owner, they are out of business now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#29]
For .22lr and 12 Ga. target rounds, I go to Walmart.  They are a good buy and I have no problem with spending my money where the value is.  Plus I don't mind rewarding a big chain store for having firearms and ammo in stock.  I even made a special trip to K-mart to buy some ammo from them after they RIF'd Rosie.  
Pistol ammo I buy at the shooting range because it is reasonably priced and they always have what I want.  I won't buy guns from them though because they didn't keep their word to call me when the model I wanted came in and their prices are a little high.  There are other stores I can go to for guns.
Basically I spend my money where I feel I'm getting the best value.  Sometimes that means the discount store, other times it means a local small business, and still other times it means over the internet.
Even though I try to avoid Walmart because of the huge hassle factor of the crowds and lines, one of the ones by my house (there are actually two in close proximity) has an older gentleman that works the  gun counter that is very knowlegable about guns and knows all their firearm related products.  I bought a synthetic replacement stock for my 11-87 from them and was happy to do so.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Seriously, I am always willing to spend a few more bucks with my local, independent gun store.  Can you guys imagine what would happen if they all go out of business because we saved a few bucks at El Wal Mart?  If ammo and firearms distribution were concentrated in the hands of a few national chains, the gov would sure as hell find a way to choke it off!!!  Where I live there is only one gun store in a 20 mile radius.  When it is closed, I HAVE to go to Wal Mart.  It's a real bad feeling.  We SHOULD have more gun stores but the area won't support them!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey I can't believe the guys that stick up for Walmart. This is how I run my business and it sure as hell works. If you have the balls try it and see.
My return policy is this- If its broke I'll replace it. I Don't care if its your fault or mine.
All my used stuff has a 30 day money back warranty. And I mean money back,not fix it. No restocking fee ever. Try that at any other local gun shop. My idea is if its not good enough for me I won't take it in trade.
My word is my bond. If I tell you I will do something I will do it. Period. No Bullshit.
If you lie to me I don't need or want your business.
I treat my customers right and guys that buy a lot of stuff from me know that I will give them a discount if they ask for it. Hell I have customers who don't even let me give them their change back.
I give money to the Local boys and girls Club and I sponsor the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.
 We believe that we should give something back to our community. I am selling guns faster than we can get them at times and its because of the way I do business. Nobody around here comes close and they all wonder why I am so Busy all the time. I am better than walmart and if that asshole had of asked me I would have gladly beat Walmarts Price. He pissed me off with his attitude I don't need him or his business.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I too, hate Wal Mart but..... that's where I buy all my ammo!!! I can't even reload cheaper than ammo sells for at wally world!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I hate shopping at Wal-Mart because of all the FAT, SLOW, STUPID people who lumber like cows through the aisles side-by-side and won't let us younger, faster people get through.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#34]
j3 & SS....

First, I agree when all others are gone, THEN wally has monopoly=bad 4 us. BUT...Wally IS pro gun to a degree, and for that I do NOT choose to TOTALLY avoid them. My gun dollars have a WIDE range to be spent at, and small dealers get MOST OF IT.....BUT......

Wally not only sells, they DO take them back...case in point. While in Ohio AWAY from home, my cousin called me the nite before deer season (WVA) opened with a HEARTY 'come on down'..and me with NO rifle. I stopped by wallys and bought a Marlin 30-30. Upon arrival (ANOTHER STATE) second zero shot went off FAST. Spring in hammer broke. I went to wallys, and despite the dept mgrs disapproval, the store manager was called at home, and APPROVED echange on the spot. I had my receipt, company policy is NO returns on electric and audio/video.

They are NOT as bad as some percieve, BUT he threat of monopoly is REAL, and % of spending should be monitored CAREFULLY......
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The fellow at the counter said too many people were buying a box of expensive ammo and a box of cheap swapping them and bringing the cheap ammo back in the expensive ammo box for their money back.
View Quote

Heyyyyyyyy, there's an idea......
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#36]
SS-

I agree with you that the guy was out of line.  I do buy some ammo at Wallyworld on occasion, but try to mail order or buy from local dealers.  
Wallyworld will never stock surplus ammo, specialty rounds, etc.  that a stocking gun dealer will, or will order for you.  That is why I buy from my dealer as often as possible.

I prefer to buy my guns used--it saves a little money, and since I buy them to shoot, it doesn't matter that someone else had their grubby little paws on it first--especially since my paws are going to be all over it anyway.  

Basically, I go to Wallyworld for the variety--pick up some oil, laundry detergent, etc, and then as an afterthought, some ammo.  But when I specifically need 9mm, .45, 12ga, etc.  I head to the closest retailer or mail order from ammoman.  

I have heard your same story for years.  Some guy can buy that same rifle for $25 cheaper (on a $400 rifle) at Wallyworld.  More power to him.  Now, when he needs a scope mounted, boresited, etc.--Charge him the $50 going rate--you just made $50 off him that you probably wouldn't have charged a regular customer.  It pays to develop a working relationship with a good dealer.  The place I usually go has some good stuff (some is overpriced, admittedly, but it does sell)--but there is no way in hell I am going to find an Anschutz barreled action in Wallyworld, either.

Some of the problem is that people don't realize that service has it's price.  You don't get personal service at Wallyworld, when you do at your shop.  

I would be willing to bet you have a batch of "shoottheshit" regulars who are in there frequently, buy occasionally, and (even if you don't realize it) send in a good number of customers because they know you are a good guy.  These are the people who you need to cater to, not the idiot in your story.

Too bad on the customer--you should have told him that you would sell the ammo to him at Wallyworld's price, but you would have to charge full retail of $25.00 on the magazine.

Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#37]
I can't blame Wal-Mart for buying Chinese, I buy Chinese firearms and ammo.
Support Wal-Mart because they are one of the last discount retailers to sell firearms & liscences. ( I do hate them escorting you out of the store after buying a gun)
But also support your local FFL's, it is nice to have someone who knows the difference between a shotgun and a rifle.
Beware you guys who do business on the net saving a few dollars now could put out of business all your local dealers.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Man, you guys talking about returning ammo sent the BS flag up so fast that it flew off the end of the pole and went into orbit. First off, it against federal law to return ammo. EVERY store I have been into that sells ammunition has the same sign posted somewhere saying that Fedral Law Prohibits The Return Of Ammunition. Think about it for a second. Imagine the liability a dealer might incur if someone returned a box full of overcharged reloads in place of the factory ammunition.

SPORTSMANS SUPPLY, there is an old saying that goes to the effect of "If you ignore the customer long enough, they will eventually quit bothering you". Maybe it should be ammended to say "If you piss off enough customers, they will eventually stop annoying you". You may indeed usually be an agreeable fellow who provides good customer service, but who usually squawks the loudest, the unhappy customer or the satisfied one? I still maintain that ultimately you have done yourself more harm than good in this instance.

For everyone else, I don't think this really has anything to do with Wal-Mart. What if it were Joe's Surplus Barn able to buy in larger volume than Sportmans Surplus and sell for a couple of bucks less? You simply don't run off customers because of your own inability to compete with someone else's prices. What will happen is that eventually you will just run out customers to run off. You find a way to better serve your customers in other aspects if you want to survive.

I will even go a step farther and say that discount retailers like Wal-Mart may ultimately be a good thing for the shooting sports by introducing more people to them and making it more financially accessable to a larger number of those people. If you don't like them, there is nothing wrong with that, and there is certainly nothing wrong with helping the little guys stay in business, too, but I think most of the griping here is somewhat misguided. In all the communities that I have been in in which there was a Wal-Mart store, no one was forcing anyone to shop there. There have always been alternatives.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I buy at WalMart also now if I had a Sporting Goods store less than 60 or 70 miles away I would do business with them. Now that gas is so high I bundle my needs into the trips to the "big city".  I bought a 1000 rds. from "ammoman" here last week, we'll see how that pans out.  But with my "nickle and dime" buying for plinking I will probably still do WalMart especially for 22mag. and 12 gauge.
They do a pretty good job on scopes too! Never bought a firearm throuh them I like to keep my neighborhood FFL guy in business. He just lives about 10 miles down the road.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Some of the local guys deserve to go under.  I just love when I go into a local gunshop with a wad of cash.   Everyone behind the counter is "busy" leaning on the counter shooting the shit with each other or regulars.  

They totally ignore the guy with cash who intends to buy a gun today...   Half the time when you don't get "in a minute", they want MSRP+ for the gun.  I just walk and buy it for $100 bucks less from an out of town dealer at a gun show...

One shop I have bought several guns from (at MSRP) and was paying a premium for reloading supplies from him that even Midway could undercut by 30%...  But I quit giving him my business when I asked if he had any pre-ban ARs.  He didn't, so I asked how much he would charge to receive one for me.  He told me that they wouldn't do that, that I had to buy what they had.

Well fuck you very much, I'll get my guns from out of town dealers, my reloading supplies from Midway or Natchez and my ammo at Wal-Mart.  And I won't feel the least bit guilty when the local jerks go under.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Sorry to stick with this thread even though I dont agree 100%
I like that store. First off Sam`s son is a MOH winner in VN.
2nd, they sell firearms and ammo. Name another large retail store that is nationwide that still sells guns and ammo.
Yes I patronize mom and pop gunstores for the very reasons you mentioned.
Yes I have bought  10/22 from them and yes they have funny rules about getting the weapon out of the store and yes there is some fat, slow, stoooopid people that work there. At least they are working, not sponging.
They have a special going now for a pack of Chips Ahoy cookies for 1.99. Now where else can I get Mobil 1, box of 22`s, laundry detergent, tampons, Latest issue of G&W of LE, and a coke all at one place, 24 hrs a day? And there are some nice looking ladies walking around too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Hell I went into a Wal-Mart here in Durham last hunting season. I was heading out with my father squirrel hunting. I need a regulation guild that was free. The guy at the counter was counting money, I waited 5 min until he was finish counting then asked if he could please hand me one and he point his finger in my face and told me to leave him the hell alone.  I said F you and was walking out and yelled Wal Mart sucks and a couple guys there shopping said there sure do. I didn't go back to the Wal Mart for 6 months.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Twice now I've gone into my local Wal*Mart to load up on some of their $5.95/box 9mm ammo.  Both times I wasn't able to buy any because there weren't any employees available to get it from behind the counter.

Maybe I just need to wear a blue vest and get it myself. [:E]
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Some of you guys must have it pretty good all the local WMs I go to never have any better prices on ammo than the local gun shops.

Someone also mentioned their no return hassle policy, maybe they aren't aware of that in the store I went to. I had one of their Never Start batteries, had the receipt and wanted to exchange it (It was less than a year old and never held a charge). I was told I had to return it to the store I got it from. I told the lady not helping me, "Well that's going to be a little hard to do, since it came from Arkansas."(I'm in GA). She finally called someone else and they called someone else who then sent someone to look it over and then they got approval to get me another one. I know I got what I wanted, but it was not hassle free.  

BMB
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Yeah, I avoid Wal-Mart too.  Parking lot is crowded, lines are slow.  In fact, the only reason I go there is to buy cheap-ass soda to shoot at.  

We were going shooting and picked up a few cases.  While there, my friend box a box of 9mm.  Afterwards we went to a real gun store to buy ammo for my rifle, and compared prices on 9mm.  The gun store's ammo was waaaaayyy cheaper. Maybe it was just brand differences, but the prices were significantly lower.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#47]
I know what you mean. I have been trying to get a small business going but all I hear is that they can get it cheaper at these huge conglomorates. In most cases they even sell it cheaper than what I can buy it for from a wholesaler. I can't buy it from the manufacturer because they want you to spend a minimum of usually around $5,000-$20,000 per shot. I tried to go to an ammo supplier to start a group purchase but they require a minimum of a pallet purchase. It's all the government plan to make the little guys littler and make the big guys bigger.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Sportsmans Supply..is that you Gary?? LOL..you go boy! You did the right thing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Now that I said that to Gary (sportsman supply) I have to tell you all. Gary has my business for life. I live in Tucson, Gary lives in Hobbs, NM. Not exactly a local dealer. I've bought two guns from Gary, an AR-10 and a Stoner SR-15 and gotten MORE THAN FAIR pricing on both. Gary's service has been outstanding on the AR too. Armalite was trying to stiff me on a problem with the 10 and he dealt with me out of HIS pocket long before Armalite did. Armalite only came off their horse after I screamed bloody murder and threatened to never spend money with them again and not recommend any one else do so.  Hell, he could get away with most anything at the distance I have to drive, but I did business with him because he came after it with more than fair pricing and honesty  and support after the sale. You want good pricing and good support....deal with him.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#50]
American auto manufactures learned a hard lesson in the 70's/80's. Build a quality product at a competetive price and people will buy it. All the other American manufacturers need to learn that lesson. Don't tell me I don't know what I'm taliking about. My sister is in the UAW talk about over paid and under worked. Yes I shop at Wal-Mart, yes the service sucks. It sucks everywhere in this country. Thats the downside of low unemployment. Some people just should'nt work in service occupations. I bought a swing set there today for my 2 year old. A Flexible Flyer brand made in Taiwan. Any American companies making those in the USA and selling them for $150.00?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top