Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2009 12:44:52 PM EDT
Ok, I went out on my weekly (daily?) quest for ammo today, and as usual visited a couple Wallys to see what they "didn't" have.  Right now I'm on the quest for .223 stuff.

Over the past few months I've found a box here and there, although I've never seen the elusive 100rd Value Packs.  Every WM I go into that has .223 is priced (what I think) is WAY high, and usually leave without buying.shit.

A month or so ago, I stopped in a WM in Port Orange and the girl (very friendly) had 2 boxes of UMC .223 50rd Value Packs at $26.98/box.  I was just in a "mood" and bought it, mainly because I got tired of driving all over the place and not buying anything, but knowing that the Fun Store a few miles away was selling 20rd. boxes for 8 bucks each.  The girl at WM was lamenting how she couldn't keep ammo on the shelves and that the store could make a fortune if they could keep it in stock.  She told me she had "heard" from the warehouse that part of the shortage was because the manufacturers were starting to "mark" the bullets(???) and it was slowing-up production.

Today, I go to the WM in Kissimmee where I was met by some rude, fat-ass hose-beast.  I ask her if she has any .223 Value Packs and she replied with a grunt which sounded like a "NO".  I looked on the shelf after she moved her lard-ass outta the way, and there was 1 40 rd. Value Pack of Win. .223 45gr. HP sitting there.  I pointed at it and asked "what's that"?  Response......40 Round Value Pack, you want it (same grunt-like noise).  "How much?", I ask.  "(Grunt) $23.98, you want it? (sigh)"

"No thanks, Beulah" and I left.

Ok, question.  Other than the rude beast, I know lots of people buy ammo from Wally, but I've checked every one within a 100 mile radius and they're all within about a buck of each other (when they have it).  8 bucks for 20 is good (to me), but it ain't at Wal-Mart.  24 bucks for 40 is, to me nucking futs.  Are the Central Florida Wallys out-of-line, or is this the prices you're seeing around the Country?  Right now, I'm not in a financial situation to buy any more by the case, so I've been picking up 20, 50 or whatever, whenever I can.

Seeing how I've never even SEEN a 100rd. Value Pack, does the quantity discount reduce the per-round price enough to bring it more in-line with the HONEST Fun-Shops?

I keep walking into Wal-Marts hoping to see stacks of 100rd boxes lined up on the shelves with a glowing Halo around them, all the geezers pulling their carts and scooters to the side and kneeling, and angel-music playing in the background, but all I'm seeing is one bent-up box on the shelf with Hilda the Neanderthal Beastmaster guarding it like it's the last fried turkey leg.

I'm just wondering if I'm "missing" something at the WM's around here.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 12:49:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I have looked and called everywhere in the upstate area and yesterday I stopped in the WM closest to my house and they had 5-50rd boxes of Remmy 55gr for $26/box. That was the first boxes of .223 I have seen at that particular WM in 6-8 months.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
If they have the ammo behind the counter, either ask them to get on their knees and look back in, or do it yourself...

Twice, I have been told there was no ammunition of the type I requested, and later found that the remainder was just so far back on the shelf that it could not be seen from a standing position.

I've gotten 3 boxes of .45ACP, and 2 boxes (the big ones) of .22LR in this fashion... Make sure you look.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool Springs Franklin had value packs of 45 gr, 55 gr, and 9mm Blazer Brass, and a couple 100rd .45 Winchester WB's in stock.  And several 550 .22LR bricks.  The .223 was the same price as you quoted.  Too much for me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#4]
There were 100rd packs of .223 when I went today. I opted for the 250rd pack of 9mm instead.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Wal-Mart? Ammo?

Man, I have not seen any 9mm or .223 ammo at either Wal-Mart in my town in six months.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing there for me today but 550 pack federal .22 for 13.27..
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#7]
My Walmarts are tapped, they have very little on the shelf so...

I stopped by Meijers yesterday in the off chance that they might have had something on the shelf reasonably priced. They had the 40 round "value" pack WWB 45 grain HP .223 rounds priced at 24.99.

50 rounds of 230 grain FMJ .45ACP was 23.99

So I go to the local sporting goods store today and they had Federal .223 55 grain FMJ at $400 per K, the 45 grain WWB at $600 per K and Brown Bear 9mm for $200 per K.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#8]
The walmart here in VA. has Federal value packs of 100 in 55gr FMJ for 39.99 and also
somtimes has Federal 50 gr HP .223 in a 200rd pack for 78.97  

It's not often but they do come in at times. Maybe twice a month they will have one or the other.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#9]
The Wal-Mart closest to me has removed the ammo from under the glass at the counter and replaced it with fishing reels.

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#10]
You know you can get ammo at places other than Wal Mart, right?  I'm just saying..........
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The walmart here in VA. has Federal value packs of 100 in 55gr FMJ for 39.99 and also

It's not often but they do come in at times. Maybe twice a month they will have one or the other.

Now THOSE prices I could live with.  I'd poop my short-pants if I walked in and found 100rd boxes for 40 bucks.

I wonder if each Wally store gets to set their own prices.

It's like I have the two little guys sitting on my shoulders.  One says "If you find it, BUY it!" and the other says "are you fucking NUTS?  That's too much!"

I just don't want to be one of those "day late and a dollar short" guys who walks past boxes of ammo this week, and next week it's a buck-a-round because people WILL buy it at those prices (as evidenced by the empty shelves).
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wal-Mart? Ammo?

Man, I have not seen any 9mm or .223 ammo at either Wal-Mart in my town in six months.

Same here. No .45 or .357 either.

Walmart sucks.

Edit.

What I am doing and it's working out, is staying in close touch with small gunshops I"ve done business with for many, many years.

One store in particular will have some ammo at very reasonable prices, close to Wallys'.

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#13]
So you're saying that the price of ammo has gone up? This is the first that I have heard of this.

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Yesterday I made the rounds to three different Wal-Mart stores in my area, my local store (non supercenter) had about 20 boxes of .223 at $9.xx box and three 550 value packs of .22 I bought the value packs but left the .223 too expensive for my taste. Next I went to a supercenter about 10 miles away no .223 or 9mm but did have eight 550 value pack .22's and ten CCI Blazer Brass .45acp at $14.xx box, I left with all the .22 and .45. My last stop was another supercenter about 15 miles east, they had quite a bit for various rifle ammo and even some .25 auto but no .223, 9mm, or .45 and they only had two value packs .22's, I left with the value packs. I spoke with the sporting goods managers at each store and they all told me the same thing, that every time they get a shipment "Guys like me" come in and buy it all up.  My total score for an hour and half of my time and 37 miles was: 13 cartons of .22 value packs and 10 boxes of .45, needless to say I was happy especially since my mission was just to find some .22's.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I was in my local Wally World on Monday and they had gotten in some Winchester 100rd value packs in .45. They also had some Blazer Brass 9mm and a nice stack of the Federal 100rd value packs in .223. I only had enough cash to get one box of the .45. I talked to the girl as she rung me up and asked her what the status is on ammo. She said that it's supposed to be getting back to more normal stock levels in 2 or 3 weeks. I don't know how true that is but it's the first time anybody at a Wal-Mart has told me that. Oh and I was in there today and all they had left was 2 or 3 boxes of the Federal .223 100rd value packs. Sadly I didn't have the money to buy any.

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh, and I bought all the cheap .22 at the nearest Wal-Mart yesterday. 5 550 round value packs and 20 boxes of 50. Cost around $100, but I should be set for .22 for while.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now THOSE prices I could live with.  I'd poop my short-pants if I walked in and found 100rd boxes for 40 bucks.

I wonder if each Wally store gets to set their own prices.

It's like I have the two little guys sitting on my shoulders.  One says "If you find it, BUY it!" and the other says "are you fucking NUTS?  That's too much!"

I just don't want to be one of those "day late and a dollar short" guys who walks past boxes of ammo this week, and next week it's a buck-a-round because people WILL buy it at those prices (as evidenced by the empty shelves).

From what I've seen, yes, they can set their own prices. The so called superstore in my town sells 100rd Winchester .45 value packs for $31.98 while the one in another town just 12 miles away sells it for $29.98. On .45, 9mm, .223 my local store is anywhere from $1 to $2 higher on all the real popular calibers including .22lr. My local store, a while back, had a roll back price on the Blazer Brass 9mm of $8.97 per box. A week later the roll back was gone and it was back up a buck. The other store in the mean time had made the roll back price permanent. I know there's other places to buy ammo but in my area the Wal-Marts have the best price. Well, at least when they have it. The few gun shops we have around here are real gougers so I don't have much choice.

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ok, I went out on my weekly (daily?) quest for ammo today, and as usual visited a couple Wallys to see what they "didn't" have.  Right now I'm on the quest for .223 stuff.

Over the past few months I've found a box here and there, although I've never seen the elusive 100rd Value Packs.  Every WM I go into that has .223 is priced (what I think) is WAY high, and usually leave without buying.shit.

A month or so ago, I stopped in a WM in Port Orange and the girl (very friendly) had 2 boxes of UMC .223 50rd Value Packs at $26.98/box.  I was just in a "mood" and bought it, mainly because I got tired of driving all over the place and not buying anything, but knowing that the Fun Store a few miles away was selling 20rd. boxes for 8 bucks each.  The girl at WM was lamenting how she couldn't keep ammo on the shelves and that the store could make a fortune if they could keep it in stock.  She told me she had "heard" from the warehouse that part of the shortage was because the manufacturers were starting to "mark" the bullets(???) and it was slowing-up production.

Today, I go to the WM in Kissimmee where I was met by some rude, fat-ass hose-beast.  I ask her if she has any .223 Value Packs and she replied with a grunt which sounded like a "NO".  I looked on the shelf after she moved her lard-ass outta the way, and there was 1 40 rd. Value Pack of Win. .223 45gr. HP sitting there.  I pointed at it and asked "what's that"?  Response......40 Round Value Pack, you want it (same grunt-like noise).  "How much?", I ask.  "(Grunt) $23.98, you want it? (sigh)"

"No thanks, Beulah" and I left.

Ok, question.  Other than the rude beast, I know lots of people buy ammo from Wally, but I've checked every one within a 100 mile radius and they're all within about a buck of each other (when they have it).  8 bucks for 20 is good (to me), but it ain't at Wal-Mart.  24 bucks for 40 is, to me nucking futs.  Are the Central Florida Wallys out-of-line, or is this the prices you're seeing around the Country?  Right now, I'm not in a financial situation to buy any more by the case, so I've been picking up 20, 50 or whatever, whenever I can.

Seeing how I've never even SEEN a 100rd. Value Pack, does the quantity discount reduce the per-round price enough to bring it more in-line with the HONEST Fun-Shops?

I keep walking into Wal-Marts hoping to see stacks of 100rd boxes lined up on the shelves with a glowing Halo around them, all the geezers pulling their carts and scooters to the side and kneeling, and angel-music playing in the background, but all I'm seeing is one bent-up box on the shelf with Hilda the Neanderthal Beastmaster guarding it like it's the last fried turkey leg.

I'm just wondering if I'm "missing" something at the WM's around here.

Ah ha, you are the reason the Port Orange Wal-Mart has no ammo that I want.

P.S. I did buy all the 9mm and .45 Blazer Brass they had there last week.

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:23:06 AM EDT
[#20]
The local Wal-Mart's managers thought it would be cute to hide all the ammo. Not just behind the counter, but completely out of sight. In order to get ammo, you have to find someone who's working there, he's gotta find the key, THEN check to see if the ammo you want is even in stock.

The resident gun nut who works there and I have concocted a theory: that Wal-Mart management is full of anti's, and they hid the ammo for a reason. If people don't know they have it, they won't sell it. And when sales drop off enough, they'll get rid of ammo altogether and say because it wasn't profitable enough. (They got rid of rifles and shotguns at this particular Wal-Mart about two years ago.)

Up until two days ago, the local Wally's were all building up respectable stocks of Federal 100 pack 223's, and the price was right around 40 bucks, give or take a couple bucks depending on location. Gone today. I don't know what happened. The Remington UMC, which for months just gathered dust because it's 50 cents a round, all gone. The $25 value packs are gone, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top