User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2007 5:11:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
They suck, rent an airless from Kelley Moore
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#2]
have an early model 120 beat he sh*t out of it, killed 2 pistons on it.  Hopped it up by dismantleing it and reseting the hi/low positions (lo became hi and hi became damn hi)
Picked up a 220 worked fine spaying the pudding of a primer I was using but now wont even spay water(still working on it).  FIL has the roller setup he loves it when he isnt bitching at it.  For the cost of a rental of an airless setup for a weekend you can have something that MIGHT last for years.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a wide shot pro, and used it to paint a two story house. I wouldn't use it indoors, even  set to stun there will be a considerable amount of over spray. It works fairly well for external painting, but they are somewhat loud, and with thicker paint the piston will occasionally seize.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#5]

The Fine Coat model will work well.

You can buy them and others at a good price here. www.gleempaint.com/waghvsyt.html
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i been looking at this one

www.gleempaint.com/paint-crew-770-recon.html

us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/gleempaint_1968_5162700
This sprayer is an airless set up.  It works on the same theory as larger more expensive sprayers.  It has very good power and sprays well. It will work awesome for your average home DIYer.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 7:00:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I used a wagner Paint crew airless unit this summer to paint my 200 year old 3000 Sq ft house. It was a god send. really worked out nice. did all my prep work, (scrape and prime bare wood) and then squirt the finish coats. so much easier than the brush.

for inside as long as you covered EVERYthing  you don't want overspray on it would be great for wall ceilings. overspray wasn't bad outside unless the wind kicked up. I covered the windows but as I got more used to it I could get away without doing it. I ran 30 gals through it and no problemd other than having to replace the nozzle towards the end.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Almost completely useless.

+1  absolute junk.  They will shake your hand apart and will probably fail on the first job, or shortly thereafter.

Rent a commercial unit, or buy one.  Plan your jobs together and buy plenty of paint.  I shot 15 gallons in less than two hours.  $55 for the unit.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow talk about polar opposite opinions.

My experience was a good one.  Use it to paint a work shop inside and out and didn't have a problem.

It takes a bit to figure out paint thickness, until you do you'll run through some paint.  

I found a nice medium and it worked perfectly.  No runs, very fast, and didn't need to primer or add a second coat.

Piece of advice:  Right after your finished, clean the nozzle and complete unit immediately.  Run some hot water and/or paint thinner through it and you're good to go until next time.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#10]
It is my opinion that the Wagner Paint Crew posted above is the only worth while Wagner painter for your average home owner / user.  It is also compatible with the professional style guns, nozzles and extnension wands.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It is my opinion that the Wagner Paint Crew posted above is the only worth while Wagner painter for your average home owner / user.  It is also compatible with the professional style guns, nozzles and extnension wands.

Maybe not average.  Our local store had life expectancy in hours for each unit. Wagner is not rated for more than a few jobs a year.

Shop around and you will find a lot of reconditioned Wagners for sale, because they failed before the warranty was up.  Those owners were lucky.......

As far as the paint crew model, it would be a pain to keep filling up the reservoir, and then cleaning it between jobs or color changes.  Commercial units are simply inserted in a 5 gallon bucket.  5 gallons will spray very quickly.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe not average.  Our local store had life expectancy in hours for each unit. Wagner is not rated for more than a few jobs a year.

Shop around and you will find a lot of reconditioned Wagners for sale, because they failed before the warranty was up.  Those owners were lucky.......

As far as the paint crew model, it would be a pain to keep filling up the reservoir, and then cleaning it between jobs or color changes.  Commercial units are simply inserted in a 5 gallon bucket.  5 gallons will spray very quickly.  

I think your missing the point.  I tried to answer the question asked.  Not which sprayer on the market is the best.  He is gonna do a small job, not paint houses for a living.  Personally if it were a small job I would just do it the old fashioned way with a brush and rollers.

However, IMO the only worthwhile Wagner is the Paint Crew.  Is it the best airless sprayer available?  NO far from it.  For small jobs the 2 gal hopper works fine.  I don't think he is planning on spraying several 5 gal buckets.  Also if it is for a small job, I don't think he wants to purchase an expensive commercial model.  He should just rent one.  As stated for smaller jobs and non commercial use, the Wagner Paint Crew is the only worthwhile Wagner sprayer.  Of course there are better sprayers and I never implied that the Wagner was anywhere near the best.  For his purposes, it would work just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top