Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/20/2005 10:52:59 PM EST
Here's the story from the local paper.

Brainerd Dispatch Story

Wadena officer dies of apparent heart attack

The Associated Press
WADENA, Minn. — A 47-year-old police officer responding to a domestic disturbance call collapsed and later died of an apparent heart attack.

Peter Resch collapsed after he and another officer arrested a 19-year-old man Thursday night.

The man briefly struggled and was handcuffed and searched. As officers took the man out of an apartment, Resch collapsed in the hallway, police said.

Officers and emergency medical personnel administered CPR and other life support measures, but Resch was later pronounced dead at Tri-County Hospital, police said.

The Wadena County Sheriff's Office was investigating the case. An autopsy on Resch's body was scheduled for Friday.

Resch was a native of the Wadena area and a 15-year veteran of the department. Colleagues said Resch was known for his devotion to the community, fellow officers and young children.

"He wore the uniform very well and took a lot of pride in the badge," Police Chief Bruce Uselman said. "He was very caring. It went hand-in-hand with his position."

In 1991, Resch became Wadena's first DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) officer. Since then, 16,780 students from area schools have graduated from the program.

"If he had one fault, it was that he cared so much," said Steve Young, chief deputy for the Wadena County sheriff's office. "We will be really hard pressed to find somebody like Pete."

Resch left behind a wife, Donna, and three children, Sarah and Justin, who both live in the Wadena area, and youngest child, Jenna, 18, who will receive her high school diploma next week.

Uselman said he was not aware of Resch having a heart condition and did not believe Resch knew of having heart trouble, either.

I've heard a report of what happened, but I'll wait until I get it corroborated.

I didn't know him, but I'm planning on attending the funeral. That'll be the 2nd one in the state this month.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:33:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/21/2005 4:33:22 AM EST by pieeater]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:49:55 AM EST
Top Top