Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2003 10:47:26 AM EDT
No idea if this is a clone topic- went back and checked 5 pages here...

Jackson: It's OK to Sleep With Children

By DAVID BAUDER
AP Television Writer
Posted December 27 2003, 10:35 AM EST

NEW YORK -- Michael Jackson told CBS' "60 Minutes" that he still believes it's acceptable to sleep with children and that he would "slit my wrists" before he would hurt a child.

Jackson, arrested Nov. 20 on suspicion of child molestation, denied the charges against him during an interview with Ed Bradley conducted Christmas night and set to air Sunday. CBS released a portion of the interview on Friday.

Jackson, 45, is charged with seven counts of performing lewd or lascivious acts upon a child under 14 and two counts of administering an intoxicating agent. He remains free on $3 million bail.

Asked by Bradley if it was still OK to sleep with children given the charges against him, Jackson answered, "Of course."

"Why not?" he said. "If you're going to be a pedophile, if you're going to be Jack the Ripper, if you're going to be a murderer, it's not a good idea. That I am not."

"Before I would hurt a child, I would slit my wrists," Jackson also said.

CBS confirmed comments about the alleged victim that Jackson's attorney, Mark Geragos, said his client made during the interview: "I didn't sleep in bed with the child. Even if I did it's OK. I slept on the floor. I give the bed to the child."

The pop singer, interviewed in a Los Angeles hotel room, said the police search of his Neverland Ranch in California had been overdone and so violated his privacy that it will never be the same for him.

"I won't live there ever again," he said. "It's a house now. It's not a home anymore. I'll only visit."

Meanwhile on Friday, CBS also announced that it had rescheduled a Jackson music special that had been abruptly postponed last month after the molestation charges surfaced. The special will air on Friday, Jan. 2.

The interview was a coup for "60 Minutes," which has been enjoying a ratings renaissance the past few months in its final year under the direction of founding executive producer Don Hewitt.

Bradley had been pursuing an interview with Jackson even before the molestation charges. The CBS newsman traveled to Neverland last February for an interview, but Jackson got cold feet and canceled it at the last minute.

The existence of the musical special, which had been scheduled for the day before Thanksgiving and was largely complete before being postponed, was an unusual factor in landing a widely sought interview.

CBS would not have rescheduled the entertainment special if Jackson hadn't addressed the molestation charges with the network's news division, CBS entertainment spokesman Chris Ender said.

The criminal case won't be discussed during the special, "Michael Jackson Number Ones." The special was to include Jackson performance footage, but that filming wasn't completed before November's postponement. The special also includes interviews with Dick Clark, Beyonce Knowles, Mary J. Blige and others about Jackson's impact on pop culture.

Bob Steele, an expert on newsroom ethics, said news organizations should maintain independence and conduct interviews on their news value alone.

"If CBS was creating a deal in any way for a news interview with Jackson that is dependent on the entertainment special or vice versa, that certainly seems to compromise journalistic independence," said Steele, a scholar for journalist values at the Poynter Institute.

Kevin Tedesco, "60 Minutes" spokesman, said he couldn't imagine any news organization that would not pursue an interview with Jackson.

"It's a big story," he said.

His musical career may have faded, but Jackson is still a big television draw, if only because of the curiosity factor. His last television interview, with British journalist Martin Bashir, was seen by 27 million people on ABC last February.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#1]
He is Wacko for sure !!!

why would a grown man want to sleep with kids,
who arent his own ??
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Sure.  If you're the kid's parents.  If you're an unmarried man and the kids' parents aren't present, it's not. If Jackson can't understand that, then I can see why he thinks he's being persecuted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top