Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/15/2005 8:11:31 PM EDT
Hello all. Im about to submit an app for a Security Police Officer position in Nevada for the Dept. of Energy. The question I have is anyone have experience with the job or currently working for them? Also how long is the selection process and what is the job like? Thanks for your time guys.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 8:51:37 PM EDT
Can't give you too much info, but I had an IES instructor tell me a couple weeks ago he has trained Wackenhut employee's on the Range 3000 simulator. According to him they are a VERY squared away outfit. Sorry I can't give you more info.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 9:03:29 PM EDT
Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:10:30 AM EDT
Don't know a lot but a friend of mine works for DOE and seems to like his job. I went to his graduation and was pretty impressed with the caliber of people I met. Don't think I'd like the job though. The money is good but the work seems boring to me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:30:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:16:21 AM EDT
Yes. Wackenhut is a HUGE company with many different divisions.
They are known mostly for their private security guards, but they also have other divisions that handle government and government related contracts.
I worked for tham as a Custom Protection Officer for a couple of years and helped run their northern Virginia office. CPO's are their highest level of armed , private security officers and prior law enforcement, prior military (MP related or a specialized "high speed" MOS required) or a 4 year college degree are needed to qualify. We were treated pretty well and the pay was pretty good. Wackenhut treats their unarmed and non-CPO guards like crap though.
What they liked to do was start a contract with CPO's to impress the client during a 30 day trial, and then once a contract was signed they would use non-CPO "blue guards" if the client balked at the bill rate.

It all really comes down to the contract though. If the customer want's highspeed people, Wackenhut will do what it takes to get them and keep them......the customer pays for it all anyways.

The problem they have with CPO's is that most leave after a year or so, once they get picked up by a law enforcement agency.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 1:28:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By trippletap:
They are known mostly for their private security guards, but they also have other divisions that handle government and government related contracts.
I worked for tham as a Custom Protection Officer for a couple of years and helped run their northern Virginia office. CPO's are their highest level of armed , private security officers and prior law enforcement, prior military (MP related or a specialized "high speed" MOS required) or a 4 year college degree are needed to qualify. We were treated pretty well and the pay was pretty good. Wackenhut treats their unarmed and non-CPO guards like crap though.
What they liked to do was start a contract with CPO's to impress the client during a 30 day trial, and then once a contract was signed they would use non-CPO "blue guards" if the client balked at the bill rate.

It all really comes down to the contract though. If the customer want's highspeed people, Wackenhut will do what it takes to get them and keep them......the customer pays for it all anyways.

The problem they have with CPO's is that most leave after a year or so, once they get picked up by a law enforcement agency.

I was a unarmed CPO in Jersey and yes you are right. It did blow. To boring
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:40:49 PM EDT
When I was in the Army, I deployed to the Nevada Test Site a few times for training (NTC). The Wackenhut guys working there seemed pretty squared away and didn't hear any complaints about the job. I'm sure you'll do gate guard for a while (payin the dues) but they had some interesting other jobs on site. This was all during the mid 90's, so they may have really stepped up their training post 9-11. Plus the Yucca mountain project shoudl be done soon, if not already and that opens up a whole new bunch of security issues. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:02:23 AM EDT
Actually, it wasn't all that bad here in Virginia. All the CPO's were armed and we patrolled shopping centers and residential communities. I ended up making alot of friends on the local police departments. I ended up with alot of great references from them when I started applying to departments.
I was able to return the favor to one of them when he applied to my current department and now we get to work together.

Originally Posted By Death2usama:

Originally Posted By trippletap:

I was a unarmed CPO in Jersey and yes you are right. It did blow. To boring

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 11:45:24 AM EDT
Well I sent my app out today, so I will see what happens. Wish me luck.
Pete
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 12:11:15 PM EDT
good luck!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:47:10 PM EDT
Another bonus to the job is it's not in Jersey The job is in Nevada! Real America!!! God I hope I get this job.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:58:55 PM EDT
I'm dropping my app next month for a Contract Firefighting job in Iraq. Well se how it goes but everyone I have spoke with so far seems very professional...
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 12:55:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Death2usama:
Another bonus to the job is it's not in Jersey The job is in Nevada! Real America!!! God I hope I get this job.

Check out the Nevada hometown forum
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:33:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cms81586:
I'm dropping my app next month for a Contract Firefighting job in Iraq. Well se how it goes but everyone I have spoke with so far seems very professional...

Goodluck to you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:52:07 PM EDT
Am I the only one here that thinks a jail with the name Wackenhut is funny?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:11:49 PM EDT
We called them Wacka nuts here in Cal;ifornia.
Top Top