Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/5/2005 10:20:08 AM EDT
[Rant] Just cashed a $1500.00 check at the local Wachovia main office. If you're not an accountholder, the check is not good for the face amount - there's a FIVE DOLLAR check cashing fee. I raised hell, talked to a manager, asked what it was for, and ended up opining that the Board of Directors is a nest of thieves, but I acquiesced in the theft. I also mentioned that this explained Wachovia's reputation.

WTH is a check for? WTH do banks do ? That's outrageous. I guess I need to find some way to get $5 out of them. Maybe $5 worth of 3 AM sleep out of their chairman.

[/Rant]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:22:31 AM EDT
Capitalism. Welcome to America.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:27:54 AM EDT
Heck, I used my debit card, at my banks ATM one day to get some cash, and tehy charged me a transaction fee, WTF, I called them and said WTF is this, they refunded the fee back to me, and said sorry, it happens, I said well how many people dont catch it? They did not have answere.

Banks, hate them to....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:28:31 AM EDT
Wachovia does plenty for me... then again I'm also an account holder.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:33:16 AM EDT
Or you could just cash the check at your bank....or open an account at Wachovia.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:33:18 AM EDT
I had an account with them back when they were First Union... I really got tired of the Fees and left... They are among the worst I had ever dealt with...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:34:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 10:35:01 AM EDT by EPOCH96]

Originally Posted By FLAL1A:
[Rant] Just cashed a $1500.00 check at the local Wachovia main office. If you're not an accountholder, the check is not good for the face amount - there's a FIVE DOLLAR check cashing fee. I raised hell, talked to a manager, asked what it was for, and ended up opining that the Board of Directors is a nest of thieves, but I acquiesced in the theft. I also mentioned that this explained Wachovia's reputation.

WTH is a check for? WTH do banks do ? That's outrageous. I guess I need to find some way to get $5 out of them. Maybe $5 worth of 3 AM sleep out of their chairman.

[/Rant]

Pretty sure alll banks have fees for non-members cashing checks. They provided you with a service, AKA giving you cash for your check, and you pay them five bucks. Don't like it? Fine open an account with a bank and they will do it for free...

EPOCH
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:36:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 10:37:16 AM EDT by Forest]

[Rant] Just cashed a $1500.00 check at the local Wachovia main office. If you're not an accountholder,
[/Rant]

You mean you expected them to perform a service for you w/o you having paid for it?

Do yo go to the Car Wash and expect them to wash your car for free?

If you don't want to pay a service fee then open up a bank account at the bank of your choice and cash the check at your bank. Banks are business just like your local car wash, gym, or electic company.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:38:14 AM EDT

[/Rant]

Cut the top of the chairman's jeep off.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:38:34 AM EDT

[/Rant]

That's nothing.

My brother closed an account with them and ended up with an overdraft of 250 bucks. Wachovia, rather than dealing with him, took the money out of MY account.

They would NOT give it back.

"You can get the money from your brother, sir..."

"No, YOU can give me MY money back because YOU are the bastards that TOOK it."

"You can get the money from yout brother, sir. Wachovia considers the matter closed."

"Really? Well consider my account, loans, the accounts of my church, the accounts of my friends, the accounts of my entire family and all related financial matters anyone I meet closed too, you theives."

Wachovia was fine until FUDGED UNCTION took them over. Now they are evil. Apparently the dickfaces at corporate think that FU (they call it that for a reason) tactics will be just fine under the friendlier Wachovia name.

I told the manager I spoke to that they were insane, and I hope the whole corporation rots.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:41:20 AM EDT
I hate all banks. Fuck all banks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:41:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Forest:

[Rant] Just cashed a $1500.00 check at the local Wachovia main office. If you're not an accountholder,
[/Rant]

You mean you expected them to perform a service for you w/o you having paid for it?

If you don't want to pay a service fee then open up a bank account at the bank of your choice and cash the check at your bank. Banks are business just like your local car wash, gym, or electic company.

Wachovia is evil.

Period.

As a long time victim of FU (My very first bank account was with them, and I was gone within 6 months. They SUCKED. But then the bastards kept buying every bank I switched to!) I can say with authority that their sole purpose in life is to bilk EVERY PENNY out of your account that they POSSIBLY can, to blame EVERYTHING on you, and to never give you even the slightest bit of help with ANYTHING.

Banking with FU is like asking a Vampire to be your doctor.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:44:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SSeric02:
Or you could just cash the check at your bank....or open an account at Wachovia.

+1

Why the hell should the bank cash your check for free?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:46:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

[/Rant]

That's nothing.

My brother closed an account with them and ended up with an overdraft of 250 bucks. Wachovia, rather than dealing with him, took the money out of MY account.

They would NOT give it back.

"You can get the money from your brother, sir..."

"No, YOU can give me MY money back because YOU are the bastards that TOOK it."

"You can get the money from yout brother, sir. Wachovia considers the matter closed."

"Really? Well consider my account, loans, the accounts of my church, the accounts of my friends, the accounts of my entire family and all related financial matters anyone I meet closed too, you theives."

Wachovia was fine until FUDGED UNCTION took them over. Now they are evil. Apparently the dickfaces at corporate think that FU (they call it that for a reason) tactics will be just fine under the friendlier Wachovia name.

I told the manager I spoke to that they were insane, and I hope the whole corporation rots.

Wait a minute, are you telling me that the bank took money out of YOUR account to cover another account holder's overdraft?

Did you and your brother have a joint account?

If not, I would have sued them in small claims court, and won.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:47:00 AM EDT
BTW -- In the story with my brother, the initial overage was 8 cents. They generated over 250 dollars in fees for an 8 CENT overage on an account that he was closing.

And they were willing to loose my buisness too.

Over 8 cents.

They are f*cking morons.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:48:37 AM EDT

[/Rant]

The service has already been paid for by the person/business that wrote the check IMO. Why should I pay a bank money to honor their client's check? I won't do business with banks that have that policy, luckily very few in TN do as of now.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:49:42 AM EDT
Ok so Wachovia is a bunch of fucktards...

But any bank is going to charge a non-member a fee to cash a $1,500 check. You'd be a fool to think they would just let everyone come into their bank and cash checks for free.

EPOCH
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:50:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 10:53:04 AM EDT by John_Wayne777]

Originally Posted By magnum_99:
Wait a minute, are you telling me that the bank took money out of YOUR account to cover another account holder's overdraft?

Yup.

Did you and your brother have a joint account?

Nope.

If not, I would have sued them in small claims court, and won.

Their justification was that because my mother was listed as an emergency account access person (meaning if I end up half dead she can use my account) and was also listed as an emergency access person on my brother's account, that really his account was her account and my account was her account and they could take from my account to satisfy their greed with his account.

I told them they were out of their f*cking minds. My mother had never even USED my account OR his account. They "considered" my mother to be a JOINT account holder on his and my account, this despite the fact that she was never signed up as a joint account holder on our original accounts with the bank who they bought out. They just "considered" her a joint holder on our accounts so they could take my money.

They insisted that what they did was legal. So was what the Nazis did to the Jews, I responded. Does that make it right?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:52:08 AM EDT
I forgot about that story JW.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:53:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PBIR:

I haven't.

I am STILL pissed off about it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:00:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 11:10:16 AM EDT by FortyFiveAutomatic]
I used to work for a bank, and the only way we wouldn't charge for check cashing is if:

A) The persons in question had an account with us, or
B) The check in question was a check drawn off our bank (b/c we could very easily check to see if the funds were available, if signatures matched, etc.)

If your situation did not fulfill the above, then why the hell shouldn't the bank charge? In case you didn't notice, there's been a recent surge in white collar crime, particularly fraud and check kiting, and the bank has to do their part by performing research on the negotiable item, trying their best to make sure they can collect on it and that they won't get fucked by the time it clears the Federal Reserve Bank, and all this takes up valuable time, time that could have been spent on assisting those who have actually paid to have accounts opened there. Also, if you don't have an account with them, and the item by some chance charges back, whose account do they debit? Consider these things before raising hell.

ETA: And another thing -- banks are NOT check cashing services. Many banks will not even cash payroll, two-party, or money order checks without the person having an account with them first. Go to a check-cashing place for that -- these are places that actually do research all day long on accounts and negotiable items, OH, but guess what? They charge a fee, because their service takes time, and they still have to generate revenue as well as cover their end in the instance that they are had by a scammer. Remember that these people at banks and check-cashing places know absolutely jack shit about you, and are taken for a ride all the time by people who make a living by defrauding them, so they have to do what they can to minimize their losses. It's all about risk, and they take one every time they deal with non-account holders.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:01:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SSeric02:

...that'd be too easy.

HH
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:06:10 AM EDT

I haven't.

I remember this. What was the final outcome? Did you get your money back? If not, did you follow through and cancel all of your accounts?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:07:41 AM EDT

[/Rant]

Next time I need a little legal work done, like a demand letter to a debtor, do you mind if I give you a call and have you draft that up for me? It's just a little letter after all... probably have it all in boilerplate anyway, and it'd just take a minute to fill in the blanks.

Right?

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:08:09 AM EDT

I haven't.

I can see why. I'd be taking a dump in their night deposit box weekly.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:21:52 AM EDT

I haven't.

Dang, dude. I'm pissed off about it and it's not even my money they stole.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:28:37 AM EDT

I closed my accounts at Wachovia 3 yrs ago.
They had bought up a small local bank, and my accounts with it.

There were too many discrepencies and way too many fees over a couple years.

They also gave me a VERY hard time over cashing a check from my father over
verifying his signature. It took almost a half an hour to get it cashed, despite my showing a letter from him with the same signature.

They can go pound sand, or paper pulp, for all I care.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:28:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:29:53 AM EDT
Was the check drawn on a Wachovia account?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:31:21 AM EDT
Pretty much that way with all of them now. Either the check has to be drawn from their bank or you have to be an account holder.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:32:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
you cashed a wachovia check from a wachovia account holder at a wachovia back.

That fee is complete bullshit. The account holder pays a fee for his account , or the bank uses his money to invest and earn interest. There is absolutley NO reason for them to charge that fee. I'd refuse to take any further checks written on wachovia accounts.

They did not provide YOU a service. the provided the account holder a service.

He never said whether or not it was drawn off Wachovia. If it was, I agree with you, and most banks will not charge for a check that is drawn off them. If it wasn't, then of course they should charge (ref. to my previous post).
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:47:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:47:48 AM EDT
It was a check drawn on a local Wachovia account.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:49:33 AM EDT

[/Rant]

The service has already been paid for by the person/business that wrote the check IMO. Why should I pay a bank money to honor their client's check? I won't do business with banks that have that policy, luckily very few in TN do as of now.

+1
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:51:13 AM EDT

[/Rant]

+1
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:55:05 AM EDT

[/Rant]

If it will help you understand thier point, go to work one day next week for free. Believe it or not, they make money by providing goods or services. Seems they do it better than your bank, 'casue you wen to them. I'd've loved to have been that manager to have to sit there and take your abuse because I wasn't going to give you somthing for nothing.

Damn, I'm glad I'm out of customer service like that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:55:23 AM EDT

Then that is bullshit. Wachovia's checks are worthless then.

The whole idea of a check is that a bank issuing checks to its account holders is that they will back them with cash if the account holder has the funds.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:58:41 AM EDT
Show me one bank that has no fees.

They all have fees , they get you one way or another.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:58:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By gunman0:

Then that is bullshit. Wachovia's checks are worthless then.

The whole idea of a check is that a bank issuing checks to its account holders is that they will back them with cash if the account holder has the funds.

Well, I'd definitly be upset, but, there was no need to abuse the manager for following policy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:58:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 12:02:17 PM EDT by NewbHunter]
Wait a minute...didn't this topic come up a while ago. Remember FLAL1A? You were supposedly psychopolitician #1 and DKProf was psychopolitician #2? Or something like that.

I can't remember the guy's screen name, but he was basically saying something about how banks were stealing money because you couldn't cash a check without paying a fee and he got ripped into by people here for it, as being a tin foil hat conspiracy theory freak.

Maybe I'm forgetting the more tin foil stuff he said though.

ETA: Yes, I'm beginning to remember now...the thread title mentioned something about a tranny...er...tyranny sneaking up behind you
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:59:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:01:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By EPOCH96:

Pretty sure alll banks have fees for non-members cashing checks. They provided you with a service, AKA giving you cash for your check, and you pay them five bucks. Don't like it? Fine open an account with a bank and they will do it for free...

EPOCH

+1

nothing is free bitch!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:02:30 PM EDT
You think they dicked you around huh? Apparently you've never had a Wachovia issued credit card in your wallet....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:02:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

Originally Posted By Goonboss:

[/Rant]

If it will help you understand thier point, go to work one day next week for free. Believe it or not, they make money by providing goods or services. Seems they do it better than your bank, 'casue you wen to them. I'd've loved to have been that manager to have to sit there and take your abuse because I wasn't going to give you somthing for nothing.

Damn, I'm glad I'm out of customer service like that.

complete and utter bullshit.

wachovia is charging a bogus fee to cash a check drawn against THEIR account. the account holder paid the fees for the account. i suppose the account holder should write the check for 5.00 over the amount he wants to spend from now on.

If you check above, you will see that after I saw that it was a Wachovia check I agreed that it was indeed, BS. My single remaining point is, that, since it is a Wachovia policy, there is no need to berate the manager over somthing he has no control over.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:04:43 PM EDT
You have to pay the $5 otherwise they won't be able to pay for all the commercials they run.

I used to bank at Watch-over-ya, but never again.

I was in the process of closing an account and allowed the balance to dwindle to near nothing. The they slapped me with a service fee that they drafted from the account. Now the account was over drawn, because they over drew it, not me. The charged an outrageous processing fee for an overdrawn account. Bastards, never again.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:09:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NewbHunter:
Wait a minute...didn't this topic come up a while ago. Remember FLAL1A? You were supposedly psychopolitician #1 and DKProf was psychopolitician #2? Or something like that.

I can't remember the guy's screen name, but he was basically saying something about how banks were stealing money because you couldn't cash a check without paying a fee and he got ripped into by people here for it, as being a tin foil hat conspiracy theory freak.

Maybe I'm forgetting the more tin foil stuff he said though.

ETA: Yes, I'm beginning to remember now...the thread title mentioned something about a tranny...er...tyranny sneaking up behind you

That only scratches the surface of why the guy was readily identifiable as a tin foil hat conspiracy theory freak.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:09:30 PM EDT
I agree that Wachovia suck ass.... BUT...

I represent a number of banks.

If the check wasn't drawn on them, then even with the new push regs they still have some dangling exposure if the makor's bank does not transfer funds because of NSF.

Ironically, banks started getting hard core with this shit with the advent of ATM machines back in the day.

It became a lot easier for a guy to drain his account real quick notwithstanding a bunch of outstanding checks.

If it was a check drawn on their bank, though... then major bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:09:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By txgp17:
You have to pay the $5 otherwise they won't be able to pay for all the commercials they run.

I used to bank at Watch-over-ya Walk-Over-Ya, but never again.

I was in the process of closing an account and allowed the balance to dwindle to near nothing. The they slapped me with a service fee that they drafted from the account. Now the account was over drawn, because they over drew it, not me. The charged an outrageous processing fee for an overdrawn account. Bastards, never again.

Fixed it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:16:15 PM EDT
I've had excellent dealings with wachovia securities, but I've never dealt with the bank portion.

This would piss me off to no end if I was the account holder, as well as the person attempting to retreive the funds.

And yes, I'd be angry with the manager, that's the only way it makes it up the ladder to the execs. They were being thieves. If this cehck was payment for services, I'd turn around and charge the customer another $10 after cashing the check. So you get your $5, and the account holder knows to call and bitch, and/or change banks.

And sometimes tellers and managers of bank branches have no idea what their doing anyway. I was depositting a large bank draft from wachovia to suntrust and asked if it would clear immediately to the account(I knew it should). After the teller said 2 days, the manager came over and said 5 days because the securities branch printed on the check was in another state. I looked across the street through the window and said there is Wachovia, it is local. Anyway they assured me it'd be 2-5 days for the funds to show.

Of course I got home, went online and the fund had cleared immediately as they should have(bank draft=cashier's check in speed). The numbers for current funds, estimated funds, and actual funds matched, so it had completely cleared in the 15 minutes it took to drive home.

People used to know their jobs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:17:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
You think they dicked you around huh? Apparently you've never had a Wachovia issued credit card in your wallet....

Damn straight. Never in my life will I again do business with that bank after they tried to outright bury me. Stupid college kid with credit, I'll admit but they lost a customer for life.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:21:50 PM EDT
yeah, used to have an account with wachovia but closed it due to poor service
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top