Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/20/2012 6:17:09 AM EST
I preformed some work for a company and now they are requesting a W-9 form. I am an individual and do not own a company so do I use my SS#? Do I collect local tax from them and if so how do I claim it?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:18:19 AM EST
If you don't have a passport, you'll need your SS# and driver's license. They'll send you a W2 after the first of the year.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:19:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bizarro:
I preformed some work for a company and now they are requesting a W-9 form. I am an individual and do not own a company so do I use my SS#? Do I collect local tax from them and if so how do I claim it?

Yes, use your ssn - they will report the wages so make sure you claim them at tax time.Taxes come from your gross earnings from them.

You can download the form from the IRS - just google W-9 IRS PDF and that should bring it up.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:28:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By snoopaloop:
If you don't have a passport, you'll need your SS# and driver's license. They'll send you a W2 after the first of the year.

They won't send you a W2, they will send you a 1099 at the end of the year. Use that to report your taxes. Just use your SSN

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:13:41 AM EST
Thanks, guess I just need to start dealing in cash or barter these days!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:32:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2012 5:36:38 AM EST by JAD]
Originally Posted By snoopaloop:

That's for the I9, which verifies his eligibility to work in the US. Employees fill out the W4 to set-up/ correct withholding.

He was sent the W9, which is for independent contractors (and to others who receive non-employee comp) that is used to formally identify the person for IRS reporting and backup withholding, if applicable.

Which form to use when confuses some people. I did an independent contractor gig a few years ago and was initially asked to fill an I9, which was subsequently replaced with the correct W9.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:36:08 AM EST
If you worked for them as a private contractor on a 1099 don't forget to deduct your related business expenses when you file your taxes.

Who knows, you might even have a loss.?

Speak to your tax preparer about this.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:37:07 AM EST
Originally Posted By Bizarro:

Use your SSN
Top Top