Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 1:06:11 PM EDT
One benefit of working in and around San Antonio is that there are many retired military folks since there are (for now) 2 large military hospitals here and a climate agreeable to that generation.

Either in the Emergency Departments, or in my Urgent Care Clinic, I frequently treat WWII vets.  I always make time to talk with them and hear some of their story and to thank them for what they did so long ago.

I've met men who were on Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa.  A couple of months ago, I met a man who was in the second wave to hit Normandy Beach.  3 weeks ago, I met the widow of Bob Morgan who piloted the Memphis Belle.  Just today, a man brought his wife in.  He was with Gen Patton from France to the Battle of the Bulge.  He helped liberate Bastogne.  He said to this day, he still hates snow.

He said that if in those days the press and politicians were doing then what is being done now regarding the war effort, there is no way we would have won.  Everything put out by the press from Ernie Pyle on down was sensored and cleared.

I admire these men and feel honored to meet them and hear what they have to say.  I get a little choked up when I look into their eyes as they remember the things they have seen and done.  

God bless them all.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#1]
As that generation is leaving us, it's good to know that this latest generation of warriors is taking their place.

Everybody wants "peace", but I hate to think what our country would be like without these people around.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
As that generation is leaving us, it's good to know that this latest generation of warriors is taking their place.

Everybody wants "peace", but I hate to think what our country would be like without these people around.

Absolutely.  In no way was my comment meant to slight those who are doing the job today.

One of my favorite quotes attributed by some to George Orwell, although the origin is unknown:

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top