Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 8/23/2001 12:07:34 PM EDT
My dad currently has in storage, an Arisaka rifle that my grandfather had "aquired" from a Japanese soldier he had shot in the philipines. Does anyone know of any website, or any other source of info on how to restore these?
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 12:45:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Berserker: My dad currently has in storage, an Arisaka rifle that my grandfather had "aquired" from a Japanese soldier he had shot in the philipines. Does anyone know of any website, or any other source of info on how to restore these?
View Quote
Don't know about any sites. Be careful with restoration, that is usually the best way to devalue collectable guns. Is the Chrysanthimum seal still intact? Also what kind of things are you looking to correct with a restoration, maybe I can help.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:35:55 PM EDT
Try www.gunboards.com they have a Jap gun forum over there, along with about everything else in the way of miltary rifles/pistols
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 1:47:16 PM EDT
There`s a article in the american rifleman, either july or august, about a guy who made a scout rifle out of one.....pretty interesting...
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:11:01 PM EDT
http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html Good info on this page. I got my Grandfather's trophy. He had it converted to a 30-06. Valve is crap but it's mine! Nice piece of history. A Garand is going to be beside one day in my safe.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:56:50 PM EDT
Yes, the Crysathimum seal is still in tact. From the info that dad tells me, it is in firing condition...but he doesnt trust it. Come to find out, jap rifles made towards the end of the war were very low quality, and had a tendency to blow up in the shooter's face.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:00:04 PM EDT
Correct, late war Arisakas were a dicey situation at best.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:11:55 PM EDT
If he was able to get a gunsmith to put a .30/06 barrel on it than it was a early Type97 and should be OK. It would have been evident when the barrel was changed if this was a cast reciever. I would trust most 6.5mm Arasakas, they were out of production by the time things got bad. the 7.7mm's require more care in selection.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:47:31 PM EDT
Try this sight: http://www.conknet.com/mrj/ As mentioned, try gunboards. This is the new location for Tuco's boards.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 4:37:42 PM EDT
Actually, Arisaka’s have a reputation for being extremely strong. P.O. Ackley tested them extensively after WWII and confirmed this. A couple of rather extreme examples: Frank de Haas, in “Bolt Action Rifles”, describes an incident where a kitchen gunsmith converted a 6.5 Arisaka (.264 caliber) to 30-06 (.308 caliber) by rechambering the existing barrel. He ground down the pilot of the chambering reamer so it would fit into the smaller bore. He then test fired the rifle and later killed a deer with it (again, putting a .308 bullet down a .264 bore). While the rifle worked ok, it kicked so hard that he took it to a gunsmith to be looked at. The (no doubt astounded) gunsmith sent the rifle to the NRA. They in turn fired several more 30-06’s in it with no problems. Julian Hatcher, in “Hatchers Notebook”, describes an incident where some adolescents chambered and fired .35 Remington cartridges (.358 caliber) in an Arisaka (presumably a 7.7 or about .312 caliber). When chambering a round, they had to use a mallet to pound the bolt handle down and close the action. They fired two rounds through the rifle without any problems. However, the third one sent a piece of metal into the shooter’s brain, effectively ending their range day. de Haas describes even the late WWII production Arisakas as serviceable weapons. I’m simply quoting him, not trying to start an argument. Incidentally, he devotes 27 pages of his book to the Arisakas. Cast iron Arisakas are a different story. They were training rifles that were never intended to be fired. They are made with a mix of cast iron and regular steel parts - most likely the steel parts were unserviceable parts removed from regular rifles. The presence of steel parts sometimes gives the impression the entire rifle is made of steel. It is unlikely your grandfather would have gotten a cast iron Arisaka off a Japanese soldier in the Philippines. In any event, if you decide to fire the rifle you should have a gunsmith check it out first. Before you do that, you might want to check out the ammo situation. Norma makes both 6.5 and 7.7 Arisaka ammo. However, it’s going to be a bit pricey and possibly hard to find. While not quite in the same league as the 98 Mauser or 03 Springfield, Arisaka’s are certainly good guns.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 10:57:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2001 10:59:26 PM EDT by Phoenix5]
Check out the book 'Japanese Rifles Of World War II' by Duncan O. McCollum, Published by Excalibur Publications. I was given two Type 38 rifles, one with the Chrysanthemum ground off and rechambered, the other one is untouched and intact. It is generaly believed that the rifles that were captured at the end of the war had the Chrysanthemum ground off or defaced with chisels or files by the Japs, under American supervision, as a face saving gesture. The Chrysanthemum is the symbol of the Japanese Emperor, and as such the symbol signified that the arm was the property of the Emperor. As for restoration, I agree with Styer, you can ruin the value if done incorectly.
Top Top