Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/24/2005 6:28:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:36:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:43:22 AM EDT
All of Pratchett's books are really good. Small Gods is one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:44:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:07:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:04:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:39:53 AM EDT
Take a look a some of the books by Orson Scott Card. He is a prolific and disciplined writer of very entertaining scifi.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:42:27 AM EDT
For just pure fiction, try "State of Fear" about how the environmentalists are trying to manipulate the government and population. There are enough real facts in the basis of this story that you wonder how much of this could really be going on?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:03:59 AM EDT
i have to admit that i'm a fan of those annoyingly gigantic epic fantasy series. first and foremost would be "the wheel of time", a tolkeinesque, chosen-one-versus-evil tale, written by robert jordan, who was a decorated huey pilot in vietnam.

also,

"a song of ice and fire" by george r r martin
"the fionavar tapestry" by guy gavriel kay (anything by these writers is good)

"the wayfarer redemption" by sara douglass (not as good, but still worthwhile)

"kushiel's dart" (not for everyone--extensive sexuality)

"the color of magic" by pratchett (hitchhiker's for the fantasy crowd--an absolute riot)

and especially...

"the phoenix guards" by steven brust. perhaps the most gratuitously enjoyable reading experience i've had in the last few years. sword and sorcery, written in the style of the french romanticists, a la dumas. tongue firmly planted in cheek. funny and moving.

that's about 50,000 pages right there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:19:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By sirensong:

Big huge +1 on that. The new book in the series is coming out next month, but I'll have to wait until it's on paperback of course.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:29:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:36:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By -brass-:
I guess we have a lot of literary fans here....

I love to read, but have absolutely no idea what the hell you are posting here.

Totall confused.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:17:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By guardian855:

Big huge +1 on that. The new book in the series is coming out next month, but I'll have to wait until it's on paperback of course.

bah--when a new book comes out, i'll go without meals if necessary. IM me your address, and i'll loan you the hardcover once i've read it. don't feel awkward about reminding me, either--i'm a bit absent-minded.

another martin gem is "the ice dragon", a short story that i came across in "a dragon-lover's guide to the fantastic".
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:22:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 2:23:01 PM EDT by jhasz]
Just about anything by Larry Niven - for SciFi...

Here is one of his stories.

Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:17:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:02:52 AM EDT

i have to admit that i'm a fan of those annoyingly gigantic epic fantasy series. first and foremost would be "the wheel of time", a tolkeinesque, chosen-one-versus-evil tale, written by robert jordan, who was a decorated huey pilot in vietnam.

also,

"the fionavar tapestry" by guy gavriel kay (anything by these writers is good)

"the wayfarer redemption" by sara douglass (not as good, but still worthwhile)

"kushiel's dart" (not for everyone--extensive sexuality)

"the color of magic" by pratchett (hitchhiker's for the fantasy crowd--an absolute riot)

and especially...

"the phoenix guards" by steven brust. perhaps the most gratuitously enjoyable reading experience i've had in the last few years. sword and sorcery, written in the style of the french romanticists, a la dumas. tongue firmly planted in cheek. funny and moving.

that's about 50,000 pages right there.

Oh HELL yeah - Kay and RR Martin are amazing writers. My favorite book of all time is Tigana, by Kay - simply an amazing work of literature.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:19:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:20:36 PM EDT

I got two more from Pratchett: "Guards! Guards!" and "Monstrous Regiment", but haven't listened to them yet...

Good omens is funny too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:27:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wolfgang12:
Take a look a some of the books by Orson Scott Card. He is a prolific and disciplined writer of very entertaining scifi.

I have a few of the Enders series.

Ender's Game was excellent!

I also liked: Most all of the discworld series by Terry Pratchett (Very Douglas Adams like/british humor, current events satire), Spyder Robinson (Callahans, a couple different books), Heinlein (most all), etc etc.

I REALLY want to have them get "Catch-22", that book ROCKS!

I liked Ender's Game too, but the more books in that series I listened to, the more wore out I got. The Dark Tower series by King held me to the end.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:30:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:20:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:24:52 AM EDT
I don't know if that site has them, but look up the "Myth" series by Robert Aspirin. "Myth Conceptions", "Myth Directions", "Hit or Myth", etc. There's about 7+ of them, they're all short, and they're funnier than Adams, IMO.

In fact, I need to go back and re-read them myself. I split my sides every time. Be aware, however, that you want to read them in order.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:36:20 AM EDT
I totally enjoy reading, am addicted to it. But, as in most things, I am extremely biased towards the best of the best.

Science Fiction
Science Fantasy
Fantasy

My all time fave authors:

Brian Daley (RIP sir, VN vet and brilliantly hilarious author)

Christopher Rowley (Anything he has written is beyond question top shelf, whether it is science fiction or fantasy, he flat friggen rules. My faves are the Vang books, the War for Eternity series and his Bazil Broketail series.)

JRR Tolkien is the master of fantasy all hail the King

Harry Harrison ( Stainless Steel Rat series, Deathworld Trilogy, Bill the Galactic Hero...
Hilarious science fiction from one of the Old Masters)

John Ringo is fast up and coming author

Heinlein ( His older stuff is the best before he turned into a complete pervert in his writing style )

Robert E Howard ( Anything ORIGINAL that he wrote is bedrock fantastic.. The Conan series is and will never be equaled for cut and thrust Fantasy/Adventure... and if you can find it Heroes of Bear Creek will have you laughing uproariously at his Hero of the Frontier Breckinridge Elkins of Bear Creek. )

Dram out
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:54:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaphod:
I don't know if that site has them, but look up the "Myth" series by Robert Aspirin. "Myth Conceptions", "Myth Directions", "Hit or Myth", etc. There's about 7+ of them, they're all short, and they're funnier than Adams, IMO.

In fact, I need to go back and re-read them myself. I split my sides every time. Be aware, however, that you want to read them in order.

Enjoy!

Yeah, I was going to suggest that series, too. Very very funny. Also the Cerebus comic book/graphic novels are good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:08:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:22:43 PM EDT
George RR Martin
Robin Hobb
Terry Goodkind
Robert Jordan
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:25:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:32:22 PM EDT
If you want to some free scifi books online, go to Baen Books. You'll have choices from David Drake, Keith Laumer, Larry Niven, David Weber, etc. These are authors that believe in "donating" some of their works in the hopes that you would buy others.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:57:04 PM EDT
I'll bet a Chlorophylly they don't have Bil, the Galactic Hero.

And I feel that Asprin's later Myth books aren't as good...
When I was in college I ran across Bob Asprin at a gun show at the National Guard armory in Detroit, researching the Bazaar on Deva.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:00:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:25:16 AM EDT

I now have about 2/3rds of Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" series.

Don't want to go for Atlast Shrugged again, just listened to all the Douglas Adams...

Any other recommendations?

Try to see if there is any L Sprague de Camp on audiofile...."A Gun for a Dinosaur", "Employment", "The Command" ( about a "smart bear" named Johnny ), "Nothing in the Rules", or "The Hardwood Pile"...all very cute stories. de Camp is one of my Sci Fi favorites!!!
Top Top