Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2002 8:49:13 AM EDT
This Bitch should be shot, but then again, I'm sure she was possessed by her evil SUV..

http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/3244118.html

Police ask TV viewers' help in finding woman who was videotaped beating child in store parking lot

Associated Press

Published Sep 20, 2002 BEAT21

MISHAWAKA, Ind. -- A woman who was angry after leaving a department store was caught on a surveillance tape looking around as she helped her young daughter into a vehicle and then brutally beating the child for about half a minute, authorities said.

Police were searching for the woman and 4-year-old child today. The woman's sister, who had been with her in the store, was arrested, said community prosecutor Maggie Jones.

``As far as we know, she tried to exchange some merchandise, was denied that, became angry in the store at the service clerk and left. But I don't know how that could provoke an attack like this on a child,'' Mishawaka Police Chief Anthony Hazen said today on NBC's ``Today'' show.

The woman could be seen on the tape punching the child and shaking her, and authorities believe the little girl might have serious injuries. A doctor who saw the tape said she could have suffered head, neck and brain injuries, said Mike Samp, a police investigator.

Authorities identified the 25-year-old woman as Madelyne Gorman or Madelyne Toogood and the child as her daughter Martha Toogood.

Hazen said the woman is believed to be from the Dallas area and has a history of misdemeanor charges. He did not elaborate.

``We've spoke with several members of the family; they are not being cooperative right now. They said they disagree with the actions but they don't know where she's at,'' he said.

Hazen said the sister faces charges of failing to report child abuse, and the child's mother could face felony battery charges in the Sept. 13 beating.

``You can see the woman grab one of the girl's pony tails and forcefully shake her. That right there, not even counting all the blows that we saw the woman make, that right there constitutes battery,'' Jones told CNN.

The videotape shows the woman and girl walking to a sport utility vehicle along with a boy and the woman's sister.

The two women had tried to return merchandise at a Kohl's department store in Mishawaka, just east of South Bend near the Michigan border, but were refused, police said.

The tape shows the woman placing the girl in the vehicle's back seat and then striking her about the head. The woman also appears to shake, slap and punch the child before getting in the front seat and driving off.

The vehicle shown in the video had Texas license plates, and police eventually found it at a Mishawaka apartment complex. Police said it was not registered to either of the women shown on the tape.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 8:57:41 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/3244118.html[/url]

Authorities identified the 25-year-old woman as Madelyne Gorman or Madelyne Toogood and the child as her daughter Martha Toogood.
View Quote

perhaps shooting is Toogood for her.
(sick, I know...)
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I would have bitch slap the hoe if I seen that.

The bad thing is if I spank my kids they'll take them away in a heartbeat. But you watch they make up some lame excuse why this women did what she did and give custody back.

Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#3]
if i saw that going on i would pound that bitch into the groung.
i cant belive that the security didnt run out there and whip her ass.
i hope she gets the chair.
who wants to bet she was trying to scam the department store by returning some cheap wall mart crap there.?
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you ever tried to return something to that P.O.S. store?  It's about as lame a return policy as it can get(which is why I don't shop there anymore), but that doesn't constitute this beating, I would've grabbed her by her pony tail and asked what the fuck her problem is, then called the cops.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#5]
So, the legal question of the day would be:

"If you saw this or a similar situation where an adult is physically abusing a young child and possibly inflecting grave physical harm, would a bystander be legally justfied (not morally) to use deadly physical force or a threat of DF to end the situation?"

-934, just wondering aloud
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't risk it, but I would feel free to go over and slam her head in the car door.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#8]
IF I saw someone doing that to a kid they would need a footectomy.

To get my 13EE Justin workboot out they @r$e!

Big(AndThatIncludesMyFoot!)Dozer66
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd pay good money to bitch slap that woman for an hour or so.

I would adopt that little girl, sight unseen.
Very sad.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#10]
|
|
|
|
V
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I just saw the tape on TV CNN.

Me and my siblings took more than one of those "spankings" while growing up, maybe worse it is hard to tell. The kid was running around the inside of the truck so I don't know how many of the hits connected.

Don't beat the little rug rat's but "spare the rod and spoil the child" has seemed to work for a few thousand years so far.

I AM IN NO WAY SAYING CHILD ABUSE IS OK. I would never do what she did. I have learned from the mistakes of others.

Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I saw that video last night- If i saw her doing that I would have personally kicked her fucking ass until she was dead.  I dont care if she is a woman or not- you dont punch your kids.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#14]
When I was a kid, it went "Once is discipline, twice is abuse."  Also, you never hit your kid wiht a closed fist.  Ever.

My granddad's favourite teaching tool was to whack you in the back of the head with a hand that felt like a brick with fingers attached, and say "Tell me why I did that."  You got one guess - and it had damn well better be right!

If a woman (or a man, for that matter) is spanking his kid, or delivers a single openhanded blow, I have little problem with it.  If I saw an adult PUNCHING a kid, I'd be all over his @$$.  Period.  Ever have an 11-1/2 EEE boondocker shoved down your throat?  I'm sure it's not fun - I'll see to it.

FFZ
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I heard on a radio program today (Jason Jarvis) that she is reported to be part of the "Irish Travelers".  A gypsy like gang that travels the country scamming people under the guise of traveling seasonal workers.  Members of her "family" have refused to say anything to athorities.  She has dissappeared into the underground!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top