Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2004 4:59:37 PM EDT
I'm doing 6 additions at 6 different elementary schools.  Today I was walking through the courtyard looking for my electricians, and I'm walking behind some kids.  I have no idea how old they were 'cause I don't have kids, but I'd say they were all about 3.5' tall if that helps.  Either way, ANY kid in an elementary school is too young to be talking about what they were.

One of the kids is going on and on about how he was playing Grand Theft Auto, and got a shotgun, and blasted one of the characters.  WTF?  Why on earth would any parent let their child play Grand Theft Auto?  These kids were at most in 5th grade (the highest grade at this school) and they are talking about playing one of the most violent games available.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge GTA fan, but I'm also 30 years old.  All I could think is that even if as a parent you try to keep your kids away from crap like that, as soon as you let them out of the house god only knows what the trash down the street are letting their kids (and yours) get into.  This school is in a nice neighborhood.  These are not ghetto kids with parents that can't afford to stay home and actualy raise the little bastards.  I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm doing 6 additions at 6 different elementary schools.  Today I was walking through the courtyard looking for my electricians, and I'm walking behind some kids.  I have no idea how old they were 'cause I don't have kids, but I'd say they were all about 3.5' tall if that helps.  Either way, ANY kid in an elementary school is too young to be talking about what they were.

One of the kids is going on and on about how he was playing Grand Theft Auto, and got a shotgun, and blasted one of the characters.  WTF?  Why on earth would any parent let their child play Grand Theft Auto?  These kids were at most in 5th grade (the highest grade at this school) and they are talking about playing one of the most violent games available.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge GTA fan, but I'm also 30 years old.  All I could think is that even if as a parent you try to keep your kids away from crap like that, as soon as you let them out of the house god only knows what the trash down the street are letting their kids (and yours) get into.  This school is in a nice neighborhood.  These are not ghetto kids with parents that can't afford to stay home and actualy raise the little bastards.  I just don't get it.

It's simple. It's just too inconvenient for the parents to take enough interest in their children's lives to know what kinds of things they're getting into. God forbid that they actually try and have hobbies that they can share with their children, like hunting, camping, shooting, etc. Just plop them down in front of the boob tube and voila! Instant babysitter! And now it's even better with the Internet, because now you have another babysitter that their children can play with in case they get bored with the TV.

Of course, the second that one of these kids gets a hold of a gun and goes blasting at his other class mates in school you'll hear those very same parents SCREAMING that it was the game's fault and that games like that should be banned...along with the guns, because it certainly wasn't the parent's fault for not spending enough time with their kid.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#2]
WTFs wrong with parents now days is that they let the video games raise their kids.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah...last year there was a kid in Pleasant Prarie, WI(just over the border from IL) that stole cars and his defense was  "The game made me do it!".

Anyways, I am in a college class that discusses Special Education, and the teacher talks about her students that play Grand Theft Auto.

Go figure.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Reproduction should be a learned skill.  That would eliminate a lot of the dregs of society.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#5]
WOW!

DIdn't you guys play army as a kid?

Just as violent and I turned out alright.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#6]
You should notify the parents so that they have a "dialog" with their children.  The children need to "migrate" to a more non-violent "environment".   Hopefully the "migration" will be "seamless" and "transparent".

If there are any problems, the parents need to enforce a "timeout".

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#7]
So don't have that kind of crap in the house, and don't let your kids out of the house unless they're with trusted adults who share your views on childrearing. It's a simple solution. You don't even have to be Christian or Republican for it to work.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
WOW!

Sgtar15

That's a mater of opinion....

Ops
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#10]
The neighborhood is irrelevant.  Parents do not want to be bothered by their kids so they buy/give them whatever they want as long as it keeps them out of their hair.  These parents really make me angry.  The believe they are giving their kids everything - and they are giving them everything except what they need, which is attention.  They will have a tv, a stereo, the latest video game, dvd/vcr and any game and video they request and computer with internet  before they are even old enough to start school.  The kids spend their time in their room and the parents have no idea what the kid is involved with or interested in.  These people should not have kids.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
WOW!

Sgtar15

Playing army had me outside, getting fresh air, running through the woods, and most importantly using my imagination.  The kids have the violence sppon fed to them, they don't have an imagination.  It lead me to read books about the Army, about wars.  Playing video games leads them to magazines about cheat codes and what the newest game is. In a lot of the video games the kids play the "bad guy" that might be an important distinction.  

I have a child on the way, I'm trying to make the important desisions now.  I deal with kids on a daly basis but they are allready teenagers.  By then if their going to be ruined they probably allready are.

Two things the Mrs and I have definatly decided is NO TV, NO VG in the kids room.  If the kids is watching TV I want to be able to watch it as well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Mummy and Deddy can't be bothered with raising entertaining kids, they need to work to afford the 5000+ sq foot house and another beemer or suburban to keep up with the Jones'es. at the end of the day, they're too tired to care.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I think it is great that all of you think parents are so fucked up today.  I am also glad to hear that you all put YOUR kids first at all times.

SO I am assuming that those of you with kids actually always have a parents at home raising them...correct?

Or do both you and your wife work while you send your kids off to daycare?

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well, I think it is great that all of you think parents are so fucked up today.  I am also glad to hear that you all put YOUR kids first at all times.

SO I am assuming that those of you with kids actually always have a parents at home raising them...correct?

SGatr15

No daycare here. That shit is the end of the good world.[

So, you send yours to day care?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

So, you send yours to day care?

Hell no.

Wife stays at home.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

SGatr15

Had our oldest in daycare for exactly 2 weeks. We found out the old goat there was putting some kid's urine in their ear to cure an ear infection. Immediate removal, and we swore never to use anyone out of the family for child care again.

Earlier this year that bitch's husband and another geezer were convicted of child molestation.

As a parent, trust your instincts. If a situation feels wrong, it probably is wrong. I occasionally have nightmares about that 2 weeks.

Giltweasel

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#17]
As a parent, raise your own kids and stop farming them out to other people.

They aren't like cats, you can't shoot them when you are done playing with them.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
WOW!

Sgtar15

Hmmmmm........
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#20]
BLAME THE VIDEO GAMES BLAME THE TV ITS ALL THE TV"S FAULT BLAH BLAH BLAH.  I played with toy guns and I played war in my back yard and I watched all the "bad" tv and played the "bad video games.  I think I turned out pretty good.

Problem is we are raising a generation of mind fucked idiots who have no chance of ever thinking for themselves. IMO
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I play GTA with my son, he can play video games until the cows come home, and it won't make him anything, it is his mother and myself who teach him. The game is make believe, it is not real, there is no reset button when a person get killed, that is what I am teaching him, the game is a form of entertainment no more no less, to let it be more than that is the problem. I take my son hunting some, in that game things really die, there is no reset switch on that game, am I wrong for taking him hunting? Am I teaching him to be a cold blooded killer? should I worry that by teaching him how to hunt and shoot I am equipping him to climb a bell tower and killing half of his class?

And no my kids have never been in Daycare for so much as a visit, they have been and will be raised by my wife and I at home.

+1  NOW THATS A PARENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
WOW!

Sgtar15

+1

Always have a plan to kill every one in the room, every one you see.  Cowboys and Indians.

Hell, we never had kid seats and bike helmets.  How in the fucking world did we ever survive, let alone help to provide safety and guidance to mantain a free society?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top