Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/18/2004 9:09:21 PM EST
Computer keeps powering off after a few minutes of running properly. Computer is a HP pavilion a305w. Screen goes blank and main off switch light goes off but light near cd bay stays on and smaller light on bottom stays on. Must unplug computer from rear of mainframe to get running again. Any ideas?

Karl
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:11:09 PM EST
#1 culprits would be memory or power supply IMHO on the hardware end. Make sure all your fans are functioning properly too & that airflow inside the case isn't blocked by any cables.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:14:14 PM EST
fan seems to be working, runs at a high speed until windows loads up then slows down. Took cover off and fan is still spinning. Good clearance around sides of computer, case not hot or anything.

Thanks,
Karl
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:16:19 PM EST
check the sleep or hibernate settings.....and power options too.... maybe somebody is fucking with you and set these things to happen after only a few minutes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:21:56 PM EST
how, running windows xp?

Karl
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:22:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By Breacher:
Computer keeps powering off after a few minutes of running properly. Computer is a HP pavilion a305w. Screen goes blank and main off switch light goes off but light near cd bay stays on and smaller light on bottom stays on. Must unplug computer from rear of mainframe to get running again. Any ideas?

Karl

Sounds posessed to me.

I'd apply a liberal amount of 00 Buck and order a new one.

Okay I'm kidding. I dunno what it is. But you get a free BTT for listening to my nonsense.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:26:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 9:27:36 PM EST by Breacher]
I was thinking about 9 rounds of 185 grain .45 ACP Silvertips but I don't want to wake up the kids

Can't afford another computer, else I'd get another one. This Wally World one has been worse that my old one.

Karl
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:29:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 10:43:47 PM EST by Nugz]

Originally Posted By RaoulDuke:
check the sleep or hibernate settings.....and power options too.... maybe somebody is fucking with you and set these things to happen after only a few minutes.

<snip>

how, running windows xp?

Karl

left click on the start tab at the bottom left of your screen...

choose CONTROL PANEL from the menu...

choose PERFORMANCE AND MAINTENANCE...

choose POWER OPTIONS

^Check those settings...especially under the HIBERNATE tab

-Nugz
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:31:22 PM EST
Its an HP thats the problem right there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:33:39 PM EST
Sounds to me like you have a short some where! Everything is grounded to the case chassi and if a short comes up it will not you out of the loop per say. It may even be the cpu heatsink cooler. I would start unpluging items to see what it is that is shorting out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:34:55 PM EST

I was thinking about 9 rounds of 185 grain .45 ACP Silvertips but I don't want to wake up the kids

Can't afford another computer, else I'd get another one. This Wally World one has been worse that my old one.

Karl

LOL... if I wasnt so far away I'd come help. I need to run a few hundred rounds of .45 ACP thru my new Kimber TLE II to get her broke in.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:47:26 PM EST
unchecked the hibernate mode. Seems to be working now, hasn't cut off in 20 minutes so far. Thanks for the help, lets see if it stays on. Yeah, I know it's a HP, but at $600 for the whole system less printer it was all i could afford at the time to replace my aging Pentium II 133 MHz with a whopping 2 gig hard drive.

Thanks again,
Karl
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:51:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/18/2004 9:51:56 PM EST by -Absolut-]
sounds like a power issue or someone has been screwing with your hibernation settings.
edit: looks like it was hibernation
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:19:54 PM EST

unchecked the hibernate mode. Seems to be working now, hasn't cut off in 20 minutes so far. Thanks for the help, lets see if it stays on. Yeah, I know it's a HP, but at $600 for the whole system less printer it was all i could afford at the time to replace my aging Pentium II 133 MHz with a whopping 2 gig hard drive.

Thanks again,
Karl

Shut down after how many minutes? NEVER!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:37:27 PM EST
windows!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:51:27 PM EST

Thanks again,
Karl

Good to hear. Now WHO was playing with the hibernation settings? One good prank deserves another and there is a plethora of pranksters here with some rather...ahem...creative... ideas.

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:19:49 PM EST
OK, now it is starting to piss me off. It is apparently not the hibernation settings. I am posting from work. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Karl
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:21:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By -Absolut-:
sounds like a power issue or someone has been screwing with your hibernation settings.

not a hibernation issue apparently, how do I fix/diagnose a power issue?

Thanks,
Karl
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:45:23 PM EST
BTT
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:56:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By -Absolut-:

not a hibernation issue apparently, how do I fix/diagnose a power issue?

Thanks,
Karl

Damn that sux... figured you had it fixed the other night with the hibernation settings...

Well, I'm no pro but... It has to be either a hardware or software issue (duh, I know). I dont know if there are any computer viruses out there that could cause a Windows machine to do this but my guess would be that there probably are. I would start with the software possibilities and go from there but I dont know your exact circumstances.

It may just be a bad power supply which I believe are easily replaced but here are
some other things to try (DO THESE ONE AT A TIME ):

Download and run AVG (its a free anti-virus software with a free update feature) from Grisoft here: FREE AVG ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE

Boot into safemode at startup and let it sit. See if the problem still occurs.
This is done by holding down the F8 key during the boot process.

While the machine is on play with the power cord looking for shorts.

Use the Windows XP Sytem Restore feature to take your machine back to a date before the problems began. If this is a virus of some sort this may help.

Check your surge protector (if you are using one, it may be causing a problem) Replace it with a new one or borrow one from elsewhere in the house.

Power down the machine, open up the case and clean any dust from inside. Make sure the cooling fan is running and free from dust. (SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS)

Check out the HP Customer Care page here:
HP CUSTOMER CARE
See if THEY can help.

I found this number (208) 323-4663 (24/7) here:
www.mikeshardware.com/rolodex/
for support for HP Pavilion PC owners.

I hope something there can help...Good luck...IM me if you decide to unleash the .45s on it, its cold and wet here and I could use a vacation. - Nugz
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:58:32 AM EST
+1 on bad memory. If you have multiple sticks remove them and try one at a time.

r/s

Dan
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:03:59 PM EST
Mine boots up every couple of minutes so I have to turn off the power strip. Maybe theres a part we need to exchange.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:08:07 PM EST
Is your CPU fan operating properly? Many motherboards have a feature which automatically shuts down the system if the processor begins to overheat.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:20:45 PM EST
Ok, new update as I haven't been able to get online for a few days. Opened the cover, both fans are working properly. Also when the computer kept going down, the ethernet light on my modem kept going out. Booted up the computer after removing the cable from the back of the computer first. Looks now like there might be a problem with the ethernet socket. Inside the computer there is no card just a small metal box where the ethernet cable plugs into. Looks directly wired into the main board. Can I install the ethernet card that came with the Yahoo SBC DSL package or will that interfear with the ethernet connection that is already in place. Let the computer run for about 45 minutes without any problems so i plugged the ethernet cable back in and have been online for about an hour now. Thanks to everyone who has already helped out.

Karl
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:27:50 PM EST
HEat or memory shut down computers.

The LAN won't do it.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:29:36 PM EST
It won't interfere, you will just have 2 ethernet ports now.
No need to install the card if the machine is working
with the original.
My guess since the info you gave doesn't really say
much, either the PSU is being overtaxed, or bad cap or VRM in it,
or the cpu heatsink isn't dissipating the heat causing the machine
to shutdown.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:31:20 PM EST
You should be able to run both Ethernet cars, I run an onboard on mine and one added.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:33:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By Taxman:
You should be able to run both Ethernet cars, I run an onboard on mine and one added.

Taxman, I seriously doubt he would have much use for a multihomed system.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:39:16 PM EST
Well, I am running it with the side cover off right now so you might be on to something.
only time will tell. I know next to nothing about computers, the bad membory you are talking about is the memory chips, correct? If I am looking at the right thing, it looks to be approx 5 inches long, 1 inch wide and about the thickness of a U.S. Quarter. There looks to be an additional slot to the side of what I think is the memory chip. I can replace the original one
with a new one and add a second one, correct? What am I looking at pricewise?

Thanks,
Karl
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:42:53 PM EST

Originally Posted By ARDunstan:
with the original.
to shutdown.

PSU is the power supply for the computer? I haven't added anything to the computer since it was purchased. The CPU fan is operating properly (it is still spinning and pushing air).

What is VRM?

Thanks
Karl
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:43:51 PM EST
Breacher, HP sometimes uses hard to find memory.
You're going to have to call HP up and ask them.

In the meantime, have a look at this...
BUILD YOUR OWN PC!!!

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:44:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/21/2004 10:49:42 PM EST by ARDunstan]

with the original.
to shutdown.

PSU is the power supply for the computer? I haven't added anything to the computer since it was purchased. The CPU fan is operating properly (it is still spinning and pushing air).

What is VRM?

Thanks
Karl

Voltage Regulator Module.

ETA:
The cpu fan will still run, BUT the heatsink may not be
in proper contact with the cpu itself.
The heatsink needs to be practically mashed together with the cpu so
it can conduct the heat away from the cpu.
Check if the heatsink is loose.
Also 99% of the time thermal grease is applied between the heatsink and the cpu to
conduct the heat better.
Maybe that grease dried up.
Check it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:49:18 PM EST
Thanks for the replies

Karl
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:50:04 PM EST
BTT
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:51:59 PM EST

Breacher, HP sometimes uses hard to find memory.
You're going to have to call HP up and ask them.

In the meantime, have a look at this...
BUILD YOUR OWN PC!!!

The first computer I had was custom built by a company in Corpus Christi. Had ZERO problems with it until i got it infected with a virus that I couldn't get rid of, It was 7-8 years old so it was cheaper for me to get a new one than to repair the one I already had.

Thanks,
Karl
Top Top