Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/4/2011 8:46:05 AM EDT
My company hired me with Full Knowledge that I have a Military
Service Connected Back Injury. and They Give me shit over it.

They act like I tried to conceal it when Every Step Of The Way I told
them about it because I take Prescription Pain Killers every 6 hrs.
(I was concerned it would show up in the drug screenings)

It's also kinda odd I would try to conceal it seeing  that the interview
was setup via a company dealing with placing handicap people.

I finally gave in and got a handicap tag so I can park closer than the 1/2 mile away
parking lot because i am in constant pain and the walk in was making it worse.

Then they say the tag is not good enough and I need a letter from my DR (So I get that).
Next they tell me that it is up to the site managers Opinion to decided if I need to park closer
(So his Opinion Overrules a Medical Doctors Findings).

So I get all the paperwork in order and he is on vacation and no one else can take care of it.

So I'm still parking a 1/2 mile away, and walking in, right past the Three empty handicap
spaces on the side of the building I work in, and am so much pain I can barely stand it

Fuuuuuuck, Just shoot me!

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Before you lawyer up...

Write a certified letter to the company's HR department, detailing every step of your problem with this company.

A CL is the first step in a legal fight. They will take it seriously.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like they're just trying to be a pain in the ass.  Some people do enjoy that.

Why do they care where you park?  Is it a company vehicle or your personal vehicle?
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, where the fuck do you work?
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sounds like they're just trying to be a pain in the ass.  Some people do enjoy that.

Why do they care where you park?  Is it a company vehicle or your personal vehicle?

That is Exactly what I think, I actually think it is this one manager

My Boss (who is not on this site) is super cool about all of it.

Problem Is I need to deal with this local guy who Is Not My Boss

POV

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Wow, where the fuck do you work?

Slave labor camp?  Fuck me running.

That's absurd, dude.  I'd be furious.

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#7]
1. Get the folks in HR some brownies.

2. Go in the next day and have a talk with them about it.

3. If that doesn't work go with the certified letter.

4. Shove a very large and knotted stick up somebody's ass and then tell them to walk 1/2 a mile into work every day, work a whole shift, then walk back out to their car.

And your sigline is very fitting.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Thats major BS tell them that you live with the pain of serving your country everyday and all you ask for in return is a closer spot. What a bunch of as$*oles.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Before you lawyer up...

Write a certified letter to the company's HR department, detailing every step of your problem with this company.

A CL is the first step in a legal fight. They will take it seriously.

Thank you, I'll be honest I Hide my pain well, I see guys without legs
and then think I guess I have nothing to bitch about so I don't.

All I want to do is work and do my job

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I finally gave in and got a handicap tag so I can park closer than the 1/2 mile away

Then they say the tag is not good enough and I need a letter from my DR (So I get that).
Next they tell me that it is up to the site managers Opinion to decided if I need to park closer

So I get all the paperwork in order and he is on vacation and no one else can take care of it.

So I'm still parking a 1/2 mile away, and walking in, right past the Three empty handicap
spaces on the side of the building I work in, and am so much pain I can barely stand it

http://www.ada.gov/

Contact the VA, they usually have legal folks that can help out.

If not, lawyer up.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't understand.  If you have a HC placard why can't you park in the HC spaces?  Aren't there laws that regulate that kind thing?  Who the F is the site manager and why does he have any say so about who is HC or not?  F them, give me their number, I'll call and tell them I'm your lawyer and that is they don't start treating you like that company treated George on Sienfeld then we're suing their bitch asses.

Seriously though, this kind of shit pisses me off.  There are so many assholes that have nothing wrong them that game the system that when somebody has a legit need (for HC spaces, govt aid of some sort, etc) nobody believes them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I would think that a state issued handicapped tag would take priority over what the company wants. State law says who can and can't park in a handicapped space, not the company.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:00:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I would think that a state issued handicapped tag would take priority over what the company wants. State law says who can and can't park in a handicapped space, not the company.

This...

Park there. When they fire you let the lawyers have fun with them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:00:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Well I'm Taking Monday off
(after just putting in 12 days straight and over 60 hrs this week alone).

Hopefully he will get back and I can get this taken care of promptly.

I just needed to vent, and get it off my chest

I will admit it was blow to my ego enough to have to get the tag,
Having to jump through these hoops is just the icing on the cake.

Thank God, I have a awesome wife, or I would probably snap.

(I'm getting her sainted for putting up with me through all this over the years)

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Call these guys too..If you have a ligitament case.

They will give you a lawyer.

http://www.eeoc.gov/
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Time to GET SOME.

Lawyer up.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Time to GET SOME.

Lawyer up.

Well I want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I did ask for a better chair, I was told go get one from
an empty cube so I went from crap to less crap.

I have to admit I had a thought flash into my mind I am truly ashamed to admit
All this BS made me for a moment regret my service. thankfully for just a moment.
I quickly remembered all you fine a holes and realized it was a good thing

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Correct and since a Dr. had to write something so you could have a HC Tag, tell them to pound sand.

Better yet - do the passive-aggressive thing and say "OK" and then just ignore them.  They want additional crap, make them give you company time to do it.

Bunch of jack-wagon, bone headed, jerk offs with nothing better to do than to mind your business.

Future tip: do not disclose pain killers.  If they show on a test, you have 24 hours to produce the Rx bottle typically.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I dont get it..

you have a HC tag and they are not letting park in a HC spot ?

is this correct  ?
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I don't understand.  If you have a HC placard why can't you park in the HC spaces?  Aren't there laws that regulate that kind thing?  Who the F is the site manager and why does he have any say so about who is HC or not?  F them, give me their number, I'll call and tell them I'm your lawyer and that is they don't start treating you like that company treated George on Sienfeld then we're suing their bitch asses.

Seriously though, this kind of shit pisses me off.  There are so many assholes that have nothing wrong them that game the system that when somebody has a legit need (for HC spaces, govt aid of some sort, etc) nobody believes them.

Your company didn't want to have those spaces.  They are required by law to have those spaces for anyone with a HC placard or plates.  Park there and use it for what it was intended for.

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This...

Park there. When they fire you let the lawyers have fun with them.

Go ahead and park there. There is no reason why you should be in pain everyday when the law clearly gives you the right to park in those spots. If they give you the slightest amount of flak, lawyer up.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Get some crutches and hobble your way from your car to your desk.  Seriously.  Document EVERYThING even with pictures.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I dont get it..

is this correct  ?

Almost

I Told the Manager about all of this and he goes on vacation with no one to be
able to sign off but him so all week I've had to make that walk because it was
not important enough to have someone else be able to approve it (if they will).

I'm just venting, I am so tired of this pain that I can barely stand it.

I just think it is BS that they seem to not give a shit at my work site.

I hate to have to go to HR and bitch and whine when I should not have to.
(and also because I have a feeling it will be used against me in the future).

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Just park there.  You may end up rich.  Play the ADA and lawyer card FTMFW.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I think I would invoke the ADA. If you are really needing one of those spots, I don't think they can decide whether or not you get to use it.

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Get some crutches and hobble your way from your car to your desk.  Seriously.  Document EVERYThING even with pictures.

I was gonna suggest that he rent a wheelchair.  Bonus points if the company's attorney "overhears" him in the cafeteria complaining to a coworker about how he was under a Doctor's orders to limit his walking, but because his manager wouldn't let him use the handicapped spots even after he got a DMV placard he's now wheelchair bound...
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Take pictures of your car in the handicapped spot (with the placard clearly visible). That way, if they decide to fire you you'll have proof that you had all the "permission" you needed to be there.

Also, I'm not sure whether this is true or not, but I think businesses that set up handicapped spaces get a tax break. I'm sure if the IRS caught wind of that (if true) they'd have a field day with it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#28]
And to think have a guy who has called in sick 3 days in a row with a smashed finger. (not broken, no blood, released for full duty)

Good luck to you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd wish that they would get to enjoy this pain
but I would not wish it on anyone.

Thanks all for letting me vent

I think I'm going to go Pimp cane shopping

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I highly doubt that any part of the ADA requires you to bring in a doctors note to park in a handicap spot when you already have the placard.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#31]
A Handicap placard is the only permission you need to use a Handicap space.  Your company has absolutely no authority to dictate whether you're "allowed" to park there if you have a placard.  Use those spots, and do it proudly.

If they breathe even one word about it otherwise, you will own that entire company by the time you're done.  Then you won't have to walk anywhere.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A Handicap placard is the only permission you need to use a Handicap space.  Your company has absolutely no authority to dictate whether you're "allowed" to park there if you have a placard.  Use those spots, and do it proudly.

If they breathe even one word about it otherwise, you will own that entire company by the time you're done.  Then you won't have to walk anywhere.  

this.

we have both handicap spaces and "special medical permit" spaces (reserved for temporary medical conditions ie: you're on crutches). the handicap spots are required by law and the only entrance criteria is having a permanent or temporary HC placard/license plate. the other spots you need to take a doctor's note to the medical department and they'll give you a special "parking permit"
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Park in the space.  Refuse to move your vehicle.

Others have said it better already
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Um, dude, as long as you have the handicapped placard on your rear view mirror they can't do shit.  Get one from your Dr. and be done with it.  
FYI, your Dr. or hospital can bang one out for you in a matter of minutes; my little brother had ankle surgery and I got his for him...it was a temporary one for 6 months.

edit.  Also, it's not up to your boss whether you're "handicapped enough" to park there, it's up to your doctor.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Isn't the HC placard issued by the state DMV? If you have one and really need it, park it in the front row where there is a clearly marked sign. Anywhere. That's all the authoritah you need. For the company to act this way is opening themselves up to a lawsuit.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm being told that because it is private property I have
to get permission to come "on site" with my POV.
(Ok I understand, but damn no one else can help).

I guess I'll have to see what next weeks brings.

Either parking closer the easy way or I'll just go
to my (and his) big boss and present my case.

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm being told that because it is private property I have
to get permission to come "on site" with my POV.
(Ok I understand, but damn no one else can help).

I guess I'll have to see what next weeks brings.

Either parking closer the easy way or I'll just go
to my (and his) big boss and present my case.

ADA trumps that.  That's why businesses HAVE to have Handicap spaces.

ETA;  Seriously....Talk to HR.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#38]
look for another job
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
look for another job

I think at this point that goes without saying

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Park in the space.  Refuse to move your vehicle.

Others have said it better already

This is the correct answer. If you have a state-issued handicap tag, then they have no legal right to have your car towed unless they fire you. And then you'll own the company.

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#41]
As a private company, and you being an employee they CAN require a Doctor's note in order for you to park in a Handicap parking spot as a part of their formal process of you requesting accommodation under the ADA.  Even with a Dr's note, the issue is not cut and dry.

I dealt with a very similar situation at a previous company.  I have a prosthetic knee.

http://askjan.org/corner/vol03iss01.htm

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
As a private company, and you being an employee they CAN require a Doctor's note in order for you to park in a Handicap parking spot.

I dealt with a very similar situation at a previous company.  I have a prosthetic knee.

Americans with Disabilities Act says otherwise.

Federally required / provided handicap accessible parking spots require only a doctor-approved handicap accessibility placard, and MUST be accessible to individuals with such a placard.  Placing additional requirements or conditions on access to them is unlawful.

EDIT:  Hrm.  I stand corrected.  Less than thrilled, but corrected.  WTF is the usefulness of the ADA for an employee if the company can basically ignore it?
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a private company, and you being an employee they CAN require a Doctor's note in order for you to park in a Handicap parking spot.

Americans with Disabilities Act says otherwise.

Federally required / provided handicap accessible parking spots require only a doctor-approved handicap accessibility placard, and MUST be accessible to individuals with such a placard.  Placing additional requirements or conditions on access to them is unlawful.

You would be correct for CUSTOMER parking lots.  Not EMPLOYEE parking lots.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'd wish that they would get to enjoy this pain
but I would not wish it on anyone.

Thanks all for letting me vent

I think I'm going to go Pimp cane shopping

Try shopping here
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

EDIT:  Hrm.  I stand corrected.  Less than thrilled, but corrected.  WTF is the usefulness of the ADA for an employee if the company can basically ignore it?

Oh it was very frustrating.  In my case, it was basically a glorified secretary who happened to be defacto "office manager" being a complete cunt and causing me to jump through all sorts of hoops.  

I eventually rented my own spot, and with my bosses approval, expensed it back.

ADA, nor EEOC directly address the issue of state issued handicap parking placards for employees.  So it basically boils down to established case law of "reasonable accommodation" under the ADA.  Which is why it's so damn convoluted.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#46]
It sounds like it's NOT the company but one prick who thinks he is in control of everything. File a complaint [ADA type] with HR against HIM claiming he is discriminating against you and your documented disabilities. Stand back, watch fireworks. Make sure you differentiate between him and the company proper. If said gent is using the company as his power base without following company regs, I doubt they will take what is happening well and he'll end up having it following him around for quite a while.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#47]
There comes a point where the media should be involved.

They tend to eat this up.

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#48]
in to see OP shove the ADA up their asses
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dont get it..

is this correct  ?

Almost

I Told the Manager about all of this and he goes on vacation with no one to be
able to sign off but him so all week I've had to make that walk because it was
not important enough to have someone else be able to approve it (if they will).

I'm just venting, I am so tired of this pain that I can barely stand it.

I just think it is BS that they seem to not give a shit at my work site.

I hate to have to go to HR and bitch and whine when I should not have to.
(and also because I have a feeling it will be used against me in the future).

You're not "bitching and whining" over this, you're fucking counter attacking. Take the fight back to the shitheel responsible for this. Stand your ground and don't take any crap over it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

If you have a blue cripple sticker[0], park in the disabled spaces. No corporate dickhead can override that.

m

[0] I have one, no offense meant.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top