Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 7:58:56 PM EDT
If you know what the word "paradigm" means, or have heard it over and over in American business, chances are you heard it from that fucker Stephen Covey, author of the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.  Hell, he is probably where 99.999% of all the people I know heard that shit ass word.

Has anyone ever read an article interviewing him?  I read one in Fortune last year, and I have run across several others.  Does that son of a bitch get some kind of damn royalty every time he spews that fucking word?  He can't give a 5 minute interview without flinging "paradigm" out every 10 fucking seconds - seriously.  I've never seen anyone have so much of a hardon over one word.  He's like I am with the word "fuck", except "fuck" isn't weird and no one around me needs a dictionary to figure out what "fuck" means.

I hate that word from his overuse, and I hate him because the guy probably can't fuck his wife without uttering "paradigm" at least 20 times.

Rant over.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like someone needs a paradigm shift.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#2]

I thought the word came from Kuhn's book, "The structure of scientific revolutions"

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate how you're taking the bull by the horns and being pro-active about these paradigm shifts.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
sounds like someone needs a paradigm shift.

Ah yes, I forgot about that permutation - paradigm SHIFT.  It has become part of that whole shit ass techno-rot vocablulary these days.

Example:  The steering committee has determined that is it not in our strategic interest to pursue the initiative of webifying our clicks and mortar B2B framework at this point in time.

Translation:  We've decided not to do that project now.

A free tip for those of you who DO use that language:  such bullshit is not uttered at the BOD level.  Ever.  Except by neophyte asswipe presenters.  And sales weasels.  (who by the way don't fool anyone)

Fuck him - next time he searches Google for his own name, I hope this thread comes up for him.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I appreciate how you're taking the bull by the horns and being pro-active about these paradigm shifts.

Yes, I'll ping you on it next week.  We really do need to touch base and interface on that issue.  I would be pleased if we could create some synergy by thinking outside the box.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Pete, they tried to shove that shit down our throats a couple of years before I retired from the navy.  

At that point, it was about the 3rd "leadership and life enrichment" philosophy horse shit that had come down the pike in 5 years.  

I successfully ducked out of having to attend the "command mandated" lecture series before I slipped out the door.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I left early from Covey's "7 Habits" seminar.

I called it the eighth habit of a successful person, "Spot bullshit and exit."
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#8]
You see it alot in biology literature.
Every damn team of Ph.D.s  in the world is trying to push a new paradigm on us every month it seems.
It's their fault that we can't sell back our $1200 worth of school books at the end of the semester because some asshole researcher just made them all out dated...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I thought the word came from Kuhn's book, "The structure of scientific revolutions"

That's my recollection too.   The book was a bunch of crap IIRC, but is has been quite a while.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Clearly, you have not experienced the world class synergy created from principled center strategic thinking.  You need to start thinking outside the box if you ever want to change your mindset's DNA.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Better to be in a meeting with a boss who wants to use the word paradigm, than one who tells you "We need to move in a different direction..." Uh oh.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I'll ping you on it next week.  We really do need to touch base and interface on that issue.  I would be pleased if we could create some synergy by thinking outside the box.

Damn, beat me to it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Ah, found it - it's been years:

www.dack.com/web/bullshit.html

And two more - just refresh to change them:
what.was.the.question.whyblog.org/buzz/

Create your own Web 2.0 Company Name
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top