Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 2:51:38 PM EDT
Today at Menards I purchased 2 Feit Electric Day light 100 replacement bulbs.  I have 2 light fixtures on 2 3-way switches.  The lights worked fine until I put the bulbs in.  The first bulb I put in the other light went out.  When I replaced the second bulb they turned into strobe lights.  What could cause this?  Any help is appreciated.  I'm finishing a basement in a new house so all electric is only 1 year old.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Today at Menards I purchased 2 Feit Electric Day light 100 replacement bulbs.  I have 2 light fixtures on 2 3-way switches.  The lights worked fine until I put the bulbs in.  The first bulb I put in the other light went out.  When I replaced the second bulb they turned into strobe lights.  What could cause this?  Any help is appreciated.  I'm finishing a basement in a new house so all electric is only 1 year old.  

Thanks

Q1. Are these bulbs fluorescent?

Q2. Are the 3W switches on a dimmer?

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#2]
yes they are flourescent bulbs, but they are not on a dimmer.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:09:22 PM EDT
[#3]
OK I guess not in your situation. A dimmer switch can be used to control incandescent lights but not  fluorescent lights. I am not sure what is causing the "strobe effect?". Sorry I can't be of more help.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for trying.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I would guess that there is something wrong with the lamps. A faulty igniter possibly. Temperature could also be a factor. If the lamp is cold (less than 30F) it may not light.

They may not be rapid start lamps, tho this is highly unlikely. But if they are not it will take a few second to fully light them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top