Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/29/2009 2:07:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2009 2:42:16 PM EDT by Ghetto]
Friday night my wifes 07 G6 coupe left her stranded at a gas station 30 miles away with a dead battery. I drove up there with a friend, jumped her car and drove home.

Fast forward to tday and I go get a replacement battery, install it and now the windows won't go up all of the way when you close the door? When you open the door the windows crack just fine but when you close them they're supposed to go up to seal but they don't anymore, neither the driver or passenger side, any ideas? You can close the crack by hand but they're supposed to do it automatically. Everything else works fine.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:10:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2009 2:11:36 PM EDT by Maxwell71]
Roll them up, Pull the battery and leave it off for about 30 minutes

Put the battery back on

eta: seen the car name

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:12:18 PM EDT
Next time don't buy the budget battery. The gold ones are programmed for your windows but the budgets are not.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:12:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Maxwell71:

Put the battery back on

Is this a Lexus?

It's a Pontiac G6 and if I roll the windows up with me in it then I can't get out, the window goes into the seal which is why it goes down 1/2" automatically every time you open the door.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:13:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:
Next time don't buy the budget battery. The gold ones are programmed for your windows but the budgets are not.

I am a L33T haxor, maybe I can reprogram it?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:15:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ghetto:
Originally Posted By Maxwell71:

Put the battery back on

Is this a Lexus?

It's a Pontiac G6 and if I roll the windows up with me in it then I can't get out, the window goes into the seal which is why it goes down 1/2" automatically every time you open the door.

While you are in it have someone pull the battery, Get out and wait. You just need to set the computer again.

It happened with a lexus and the battery thing did the trick.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:15:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:

I am a L33T haxor, maybe I can reprogram it?

hehe nice response.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:15:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2009 2:21:18 PM EDT by pearson]
try taking the neg cable off turn the key to pos. two, then touch the neg cable to the postive, this will reset the modules. then reinstall the cable.

This works on volvo's when they get confused.

If this does not work you will need to take it to the dealer to have the windows reinitialized
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:18:52 PM EDT
You blew the disgronificator, get a plastic Jesus for the dashboard.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:21:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By pearson:
try taking the neg cable off turn the key to pos. two, then touch the neg cable to the postive, this will reset the modules. then reinstall the cable.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:25:58 PM EDT

Sometimes when control modules see odd voltages on their CAN (controller area network) networks they will shut down or do odd things. what this does is discharge all the capacitors and reset them. It does not damage anything as there is no voltage source.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:27:21 PM EDT

Sometimes when control modules see odd voltages on their CAN (controller area network) networks they will shut down or do odd things. what this does is discharge all the capacitors and reset them. It does not damage anything as there is no voltage source.

It just sounds bad ya know. No offense.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:31:15 PM EDT
Have you rolled the windows all the way down, then up again?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:34:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Keith_J:
Have you rolled the windows all the way down, then up again?

Yup
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:34:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/29/2009 2:35:27 PM EDT by pearson]

It just sounds bad ya know. No offense.

I know the first time that I was told that I thought the same thing. But for volvos it works, for you it will either have no effect or fix your problem.

second thought is it still under warranty? If so just take it to GM.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:39:50 PM EDT
the window positons need to be relearned, to do this turn the ignition to the on position roll the window all the way up and hold the switch for two seconds,release the switch and hold it up again for 2 seconds,then roll the window all the way down and hold switch 2 seconds release and hold down for 2 seconds,turn off ignition and check to see if they drop the 1/2 in when door is opened
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:41:13 PM EDT
Fixed it!!!

Guy on another board said to hold the window button up for 2 minutes, said sometimes that the windows forget how far up they're supposed to go. So I got in the car, rolled the window up and held both buttons in the up position for 2 minutes and now it works.

Thanks for the advice guys!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:48:17 PM EDT

Changing a battery is not the simple task that it used to be.

If you apply external power to the car before removing the old battery, it will not lose its mind and have to relearn eveything. One of the drawbacks of modern cars, they need a uniterupted power source for the computers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:52:43 PM EDT
Is it working yet?
Top Top